Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2015, 16:20   #1051
Distinguished - BHPian

re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Guys, I brought an Airtel Broadband connection yesterday and they provided a free Binatone modem. Since I already have a Dlink modem with me that has more functionality(USB port and print server) I am using the Dlink itself. Is there any way I could use the Binatone modem to extend the range of my Wifi signal? Can the two modems be hooked up via ethernet and the Binatone only act as a router?

Currently the Dlink modem is in my room which is towards one end of our apartment. Though signal strength is good, it is currently at 80% transmit power. The signal fades away at the other corner of the apartment. However, there is an ethernet cable that runs all the way till my TV in the living room from the Dlink modem. Is there a way I can configure the binatone modem to act as a second access point in the living room? I did try to research but this specific case was not found anywhere. If there is any custom routing possible please let me know.

The setup I plan would be

ISP<--->D-link modem+wifi< --- (Ethernet) ---> Binatone modem+wifi<-----(Ethernet)---->TV

Is this possible to implement?
Old 30th July 2015, 17:04   #1052
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Guys, I brought an Airtel Broadband connection yesterday and they provided a free Binatone modem. Since I already have a Dlink modem with me that has more functionality(USB port and print server) I am using the Dlink itself. Is there any way I could use the Binatone modem to extend the range of my Wifi signal? Can the two modems be hooked up via ethernet and the Binatone only act as a router?

Currently the Dlink modem is in my room which is towards one end of our apartment. Though signal strength is good, it is currently at 80% transmit power. The signal fades away at the other corner of the apartment. However, there is an ethernet cable that runs all the way till my TV in the living room from the Dlink modem. Is there a way I can configure the binatone modem to act as a second access point in the living room? I did try to research but this specific case was not found anywhere. If there is any custom routing possible please let me know.

ISP<--->D-link modem+wifi< --- (Ethernet) ---> Binatone modem+wifi<-----(Ethernet)---->TV

Quite possible to do. You can use binatone as second access point using the Ethernet cable. The only drawback is the speed will be halved at the bintone end. There are quite a few articles on the net explaining how to do this. And yes you can connect the TV too.
Old 30th July 2015, 17:22   #1053
BHPian

Quote:
Is there any way I could use the Binatone modem to extend the range of my Wifi signal? Can the two modems be hooked up via ethernet and the Binatone only act as a router?

It is possible to implement , you need to set the Binatone router to repeater mode. Just access the router home page and change the settings .

if D link modem IP: 192.168.1.2 then Bina tone modem IP must be 192.168.1.3. There might be a compromise in the speed.

Last edited by girimajiananth : 30th July 2015 at 17:25.
Old 30th July 2015, 18:14   #1054
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone recommend a non operator battery operated 4G mobile wifi router below 5k?

http://www.amazon.in/Huawei-e5220-E5...ef=pd_cp_147_1 like this but with 4G?

Thanks in advance.
Old 30th July 2015, 18:23   #1055
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Quite possible to do. You can use binatone as second access point using the Ethernet cable. The only drawback is the speed will be halved at the bintone end. There are quite a few articles on the net explaining how to do this. And yes you can connect the TV too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
It is possible to implement , you need to set the Binatone router to repeater mode. Just access the router home page and change the settings .
Thanks for the responses guys. Much appreciated!

Correct me if I'm wrong. Suppose I disable the DHCP capability of the binatone modem, will it just act as a switch? Is the process as simple as this or more is to be done?

Currently, the IP of the Dlink modem is 192.168.1.25 and it allocates IP addresses from 192.168.1.35 and so on. I had set this out of my own interest sometime back. Now what is the suitable configuration for the binatone modem? Shall I revert back to

Dlink - 192.168.1.1 and Binatone - 192.168.1.2

And IP allocation from 192.168.1.15 and upwards? What about the gateway and DNS for the B modem? Speed wouldn't be a problem since I have a 16mbps connection and even 1/4th speed would be okay for the TV.

Last edited by audioholic : 30th July 2015 at 18:24.
Old 30th July 2015, 18:30   #1056
Team-BHP Support

Almost a similar query to Audioholic but I am trying to bridge the two wifi routers by wireless. I can't have an ethernet cable running from one modem/router to the other. Somehow, I am doing something wrong. The second one (which has its DHCP turned off) is not able to connect to the primary one which has the ISP input coming in to it.

Any pointers?
Old 30th July 2015, 22:48   #1057
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Almost a similar query to Audioholic but I am trying to bridge the two wifi routers by wireless.?

What are you doing? Are your routers using stock firmware? You don't need to turn off dhcp. Also the ssid, is it same? Have you set to repeater mode in firmware or switch?
Old 31st July 2015, 09:51   #1058
BHPian

Quote:
Suppose I disable the DHCP capability of the binatone modem, will it just act as a switch? Is the process as simple as this or more is to be done?

Currently, the IP of the Dlink modem is 192.168.1.25 and it allocates IP addresses from 192.168.1.35 and so on. I had set this out of my own interest sometime back. Now what is the suitable configuration for the binatone modem? Shall I revert back to
Not sure if that is a simple process , I have never tried that. NO need to change it back to the IP I mentioned . Just make sure the SSID is the same for both routers. The link below should be able to give you a fair picture.

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-extend-...uter-915783308
Old 31st July 2015, 16:45   #1059
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Almost a similar query to Audioholic but I am trying to bridge the two wifi routers by wireless. I can't have an ethernet cable running from one modem/router to the other. Somehow, I am doing something wrong. The second one (which has its DHCP turned off) is not able to connect to the primary one which has the ISP input coming in to it.

Any pointers?
I hope you have set the second modem in repeater mode. Not all the modems have this ability. Without this it cannot be set up as second router.
Old 1st August 2015, 23:15   #1060
Senior - BHPian

Guys I have a D-Link DSL-2750U Wireless at home, the device works fine but what is happening is the landline phone has a lot of disturbance if the phone is picked up when the wifi is on. There is a loud static sound like karrrr karrr and also the net disconnects when the phone is used. What could be the issue ?

Thanks.
Old 1st August 2015, 23:17   #1061
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Guys I have a D-Link DSL-2750U Wireless at home, the device works fine but what is happening is the landline phone has a lot of disturbance if the phone is picked up when the wifi is on. There is a loud static sound like karrrr karrr and also the net disconnects when the phone is used. What could be the issue ?

Thanks.
Do you have the splitter connected for the physical line? The splitter basically isolates the phone and modem lines and that helps. Also are the phone and modem kept close, maybe moving the devices away might help. Especially the power lines.
Old 2nd August 2015, 00:20   #1062
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Do you have the splitter connected for the physical line? The splitter basically isolates the phone and modem lines and that helps. Also are the phone and modem kept close, maybe moving the devices away might help. Especially the power lines.
There are 2 phones, one in the drawing room and one in the bed room. Both have the same issue. I do have a splitter connected.
Old 2nd August 2015, 00:28   #1063
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
There are 2 phones, one in the drawing room and one in the bed room. Both have the same issue. I do have a splitter connected.
Check modem power supply once, maybe it is faulty and which connection/service provider you have? This was an issue with old BSNL pulse dialing exchanges, never heard of such interference in the recent past. Hence asking.
Old 2nd August 2015, 00:28   #1064
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Do you use a splitter only for the modem or are there splitters at each endpoint? Suppose you have two phones, they should each receive a split signal. You cant use the splitter only for the modem or for the phone. In my house I previously had a splitter each in every room, say one for the phone in the room+modem and another splitter only for the phone in the living room. I then changed the setup to a centralised splitter in the basement. The whole house now has a separate line for modem and phone since I have a four pair telephone cable.

Also go to the modem web page and share the statistics here. Maybe your line has an issue and there is excessive noise due to some broken or damaged wires. Recently during the rains our area faced this issue as an entire underground junction block got flooded with water and the phone line became noisy coupled with internet dropouts whenever the phone went off hook. The repairs took one week and had a horrible time until then.
Old 13th August 2015, 11:56   #1065

I'm looking to improve the wifi coverage in my house. I saw a Netgear wifi extender on amazon for 2000 bucks. Is there any other way to improve coverage?

Most Viewed