Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2011, 23:57   #121
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)
re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
You can bump up transmission power of exiting antenna. To do this, you will need to install DD-WRT or Tomato on this router.

With these, you will get an option to push transmit power to max hardware limits. In stock routers, its limited due to ECC regulations.
According to several studies - Microwaves and wireless signals are known to cause brain tumors. Most bird nests nearby cellphone towers come out with genetically deformed hatchlings. Not safe with pregnant women and young babies at home. It is known to alter DNA/mitochondria and affect biological cell growth.

Unfortunately most well published research into safety of microwaves and cell phone signals is similar to cigarette companies research giving a clean chit to tobacco.

Lest it sound like scaremongering, do your own research and make your own conclusions.

HTH

Last edited by Ragul : 30th January 2011 at 00:06.
Old 30th January 2011, 01:52   #122
Senior - BHPian

You are entitled to your opinions.

Regarding facts, do you know:

1. How much radiation is caused by WiFi/Cell/Blutetooth etc?
2. How much Microwave radiation is caused by Sun?

These are "measurable" quantities and hence facts (radiation is measured at Watts per square meter).
Old 30th January 2011, 02:21   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
According to several studies - Microwaves and wireless signals are known to cause brain tumors.
There are many people I know (educated + non educated) who do not use mobile phones, Microwave ovens, TV etc at their homes. There are 2 such people in my team itself.

This is what I am using as of now. I hope this is available in India too. It is serving the purpose quite well must say.
Attached Thumbnails
On Wi-Fi & Routers-photo.jpg  

On Wi-Fi & Routers-photo1.jpg  

Old 8th February 2011, 20:44   #124
Senior - BHPian

I just got an MTNL 450TC1 wireless modem on my existing MTNL broadband connection. As i am very new to Wi-Fi technology, i request techies to please suggest me what basic things should i do so that i can protect my network from misuse(putting passwords etc)?

When i connect a new device for the first time to my Wi-Fi, it asks for the PIN which i have set during configuration. But it doesn't ask any PIN on subsequent re-connections on same device?
Old 23rd February 2011, 00:23   #125
BHPian

What ever you guys do, DO NOT buy a Belkin product.
I bought a Belkin N-wireless router for 3.5k around 7 months back, and I've already got it replaced twice.
Now this time, they've sent me a different, cheaper, lower spec router saying this one is just as good.
What is wrong with these people?! Blasted the call center operator, who gave me that excuse, but still no action has been taken. Any idea about what I should do next?
Old 23rd February 2011, 05:30   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFrancis View Post
What ever you guys do, DO NOT buy a Belkin product.
I bought a Belkin N-wireless router for 3.5k around 7 months back, and I've already got it replaced twice.
Now this time, they've sent me a different, cheaper, lower spec router saying this one is just as good.
What is wrong with these people?! Blasted the call center operator, who gave me that excuse, but still no action has been taken. Any idea about what I should do next?
@Chris, Belkin or some Indian importer has dumped a huge amount of stock in India, hence the quality issues. They are one of the most stable manufacturers. Been using a wifi router over the last 24 months, always on,almost 24/7, superb performance, but this one was bought when no one was retailing Belkin.
Old 25th February 2011, 16:02   #127
Senior - BHPian

My friend also had a bad experience with Belkin wifi router.

He got a defective piece, which had to be replaced. We wasted a lot of time and energy on that defective router.

Also, the signal strength is very poor, even though it is a wifi n router. The signal drops drastically in the next room.

Rohan
Old 25th February 2011, 16:09   #128
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
You are entitled to your opinions.

Regarding facts, do you know:

1. How much radiation is caused by WiFi/Cell/Blutetooth etc?
2. How much Microwave radiation is caused by Sun?

These are "measurable" quantities and hence facts (radiation is measured at Watts per square meter).

While we are on the topic

Wi-Fi radiation killing trees - The Times of India
Quote:
Trees planted close to a wireless router had bleeding bark and dying leaves, says a Dutch study.
Mobile phone causes brain tumours - The Times of India

Quote:
Though the debate on the effects of long-term use of cellular or cordless phones continues, independent studies have strongly suggested that there is an increased risk of brain tumours

In case somebody missed these articles.

--R
Old 25th February 2011, 18:15   #129
Senior - BHPian

Following appears in both papers

Quote:
these are initial results and they have not been confirmed in a repeat survey
So, no "fact" is reported, unless these results are verifiable.
Old 25th February 2011, 18:25   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
I just got an MTNL 450TC1 wireless modem on my existing MTNL broadband connection. As i am very new to Wi-Fi technology, i request techies to please suggest me what basic things should i do so that i can protect my network from misuse(putting passwords etc)?

When i connect a new device for the first time to my Wi-Fi, it asks for the PIN which i have set during configuration. But it doesn't ask any PIN on subsequent re-connections on same device?
bluevolt,
There are basically 2 levels are security, which can keep your Wi-Fi away from intruders:
1. Software - Setup a WEP password authentication for getting connected. Depending upon the model of modem you use, you can get details on how to configure it.
2. Hardware - You can set up hardware access control. Basically, you need to setup the white-list of devices which can connect using the modem. You will need to know the MAC address of the network card to do this.

You can google this out for details, this is just a gist of things that you can do to keep your connection secure. Do ask in here if you have any specific questions on how to go about it.
Old 28th February 2011, 12:11   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
This is quite true. If you observe correctly you can see that the Tender Coconut has changed the shape and it not like as before (10 yr) it was.
Also you can find that many small bird has disappeared. This is all because of the Mobile tower that has installed in various places.
Old 8th March 2011, 22:05   #132
BHPian

I have a Dlink 300 router and been extremely happy with its service past 2 years. Its Always On. 6 wifi enabled portable devices connect to it.

Now I wish to connect my two external HDDs (a 320gb Seagate and a 1 TB Seagate) to the network. All 6 devices are portable type, hence its not feasible to connect the HDDs to them. All my movies, songs, games, etc. are on the HDDs, hence want it available to all on the network. How do I do this? The HDDs have a mini USB port, but my router has no USB port. I know it would have been an easy task if I have a desktop, but I don't.

Help

MaSh
Old 8th March 2011, 22:39   #133
BHPian

I purchased Buffalo Wifi router frm ebay. cost apprx 1249.
It is 150Mbps Capable.
and it is working fine.
Old 3rd April 2011, 19:47   #134
BHPian

Hello All,

Im using Airtel broadband connection with the old Beetel 220BX ADSL2 modem. I need to add another wifi router in my home on the same broadband connection,so that my PC(has only USB port and no LAN port) can use the old moded and simulataneously use Laptops with wifi modem within my residence. Pls suggest the way forward and which model of wifi router to go for.

Thanks.
Old 4th April 2011, 00:13   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
my PC(has only USB port and no LAN port)
It is cheep and simple to add a network card to your PC. If it is not nearby to your modem and your [new] router, you can even add a wifi card!

Most Viewed