Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2010, 07:16   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Thanks a lot for all the help friends, especially Rohan. I finally bought a Netgear N150 WGR614 router & i am pleased with its performance, its more than suffiecient for my usage. I bought it for Rs. 1700/- & finally i am using my Xperia X10 to its full potential!
Glad to help.

Please do post a short review here after a while, for the benefit of others.

Rohan
Old 25th November 2010, 09:55   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Glad to help.

Please do post a short review here after a while, for the benefit of others.

Rohan
Sure Rohan.

And what should i keep in mind regarding safety?

This is what i have done -

1) keep WiFi off whenever not needed, since this router has that provision.
2) I have disabled SSID broadcast.
3) I have changed the password.
Old 25th November 2010, 10:05   #63
Senior - BHPian

I recently bought a Linksys n series router (WRT110) for Rs.4000.

Performance:
I went for a n series router as the shopkeeper claimed that it would give better range compared to a g series router. The g series router was selling for Rs.2500. I am getting good connectivity in the same room, but in other rooms with obstruction of wall the signal quality is poor.

Installation:
The router is very easy to install. Connect the wires, run the cd and you are done.

Design:
It looks sleek and beautiful.

Support:
I have not had any issue. Too early to comment on the support.
Old 25th November 2010, 11:53   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have already mentioned several security tips in my previous posts, but I will sum it up here for the sake of completeness.

First of all, there are 2 ways to configure your router:
1. Using the installation and configuration wizard supplied by the manufacturer. This approach is suitable for newbies, but may not give access to all parameters and advanced settings.
2. Using browser based interface to router, also known as the admin page. This can be accessed by typing 192.168.1.1 (check user manual of your router) in the browser of any computer connected to the router. This gives access to all parameters and also contains advanced settings.

Tips:
1. Before fiddling around with your router settings, take backup of the existing settings on a computer. Backup option is present in admin page.
2. Note down what all settings you have modified.
3. Note down the modified login names and passwords.

There are 2 sets of login names and passwords that need to be modified:
1. login and password of the router admin page
2. network name (SSID) and password for connecting to the wireless network
3. IIRC, there is one more password for wireless encryption

The following security tips should be followed:
1. Change default login and password of router admin page.
2. Do not use default SSID (which is generally the manufacturer name).
3. Disable SSID broadcast.
4. Enable wireless encryption (WEP/WPA).
5. Reduce wireless signal strength such that it covers your home, but does not go far beyond. It would be best to place the wifi router roughly in the centre of your house so that the wifi signals reach every corner of the house, even with minimum signal strength.
6. MAC filtering could also be used. This means that you assign static IP address to your computers/devices and only these computers/devices can connect to the router. This is generally used by network administrators, not really required for home networks IMHO.
7. Last, but not the least, switch off wifi when not needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I recently bought a Linksys n series router (WRT110) for Rs.4000.
I am getting good connectivity in the same room, but in other rooms with obstruction of wall the signal quality is poor.
Signal quality is poor in the other rooms, this is shocking.

I have a basic D-link wireless g router which gives great signal strength in all corners of my apartment, even with signal strength reduced to 12.5%.

Your wireless n router with range booster should give amazing coverage, something like 250 ft range. Signal should not fade in the next room. Please call customer care and report the issue, there may be something wrong with your router (or the laptop).

Does your laptop have wifi n connectivity ?

Rohan

Last edited by rohan_iitr : 25th November 2010 at 11:55.
Old 25th November 2010, 12:44   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Does your laptop have wifi n connectivity ?

Rohan
I am not sure. It is a Dell Insperion 15R laptop which is just 1 month old.

I will check if it is a laptop issue by also trying my official laptop. Else, I will call Linksys customer support. Thanks
Old 25th November 2010, 13:58   #66
Senior - BHPian

One small correction to my previous post - I mixed up MAC address filtering and IP address filtering.

MAC address filtering is different from IP address filtering. Both can be enabled individually and independently.

MAC address filtering is a very old approach and not that fool proof. Not recommended, at least, not in isolation. May be used in addition to other security mechanisms.

IP address filtering is an approach wherein you assign static IP addresses to all your computers/devices and program the router to connect only to computers/devices with these IP addresses. Personally, I find it too much of a hassle to do this. Not required if you have followed the other security tips.

Rohan
Old 25th November 2010, 18:16   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have already mentioned several security tips in my previous posts, but I will sum it up here for the sake of completeness.

First of all, there are 2 ways to configure your router:
1. Using the installation and configuration wizard supplied by the manufacturer. This approach is suitable for newbies, but may not give access to all parameters and advanced settings.
2. Using browser based interface to router, also known as the admin page. This can be accessed by typing 192.168.1.1 (check user manual of your router) in the browser of any computer connected to the router. This gives access to all parameters and also contains advanced settings.
Thanks a ton buddy, you have been of great help.

Quote:
3. IIRC, there is one more password for wireless encryption
I cant find this.

Quote:
The following security tips should be followed:
1. Change default login and password of router admin page.
Done.

Quote:
2. Do not use default SSID (which is generally the manufacturer name).
Done.

Quote:
3. Disable SSID broadcast.
Done.

Quote:
4. Enable wireless encryption (WEP/WPA).
I have enabled WPA + WPA2. Is that fine?

Quote:
5. Reduce wireless signal strength such that it covers your home, but does not go far beyond. It would be best to place the wifi router roughly in the centre of your house so that the wifi signals reach every corner of the house, even with minimum signal strength.
No idea on how to do that. Cant find that on the router interface.

Quote:
6. MAC filtering could also be used. This means that you assign static IP address to your computers/devices and only these computers/devices can connect to the router. This is generally used by network administrators, not really required for home networks IMHO.
Ok, so not going to do it since i know nothing about it.

Quote:
7. Last, but not the least, switch off wifi when not needed.
Again done.

Also, I have done all the above settings. Now everytime i connect my phone, it does not show the SSID. I have to manually enter the SSID & Password everytime. I know thats how it should work but is there some way out for my phone atleast? Cant I register my phone so that it is permanently/automatically connected to WiFi whenever it is ON? This used to happen when SSID was enabled but as soon as i disabled SSID, i have to manually do it everytime.
Old 25th November 2010, 18:37   #68
Senior - BHPian

If you have:
1. Enabled WAP/WPA2 and
2. Changed default SSID

You can safely turn on SSID broadcast.
Old 25th November 2010, 18:45   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
If you have:
1. Enabled WAP/WPA2 and
2. Changed default SSID

You can safely turn on SSID broadcast.
Really? Thanks for that! Makes life easier.
Old 25th November 2010, 21:01   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Just picking a quick hair* ...
Quote:
Two different things. The MAC address is built in to hardware. It's the thing you'll find on a sticker on the equipment, a longish hex number. It is fixed and unique: there are no two network cards anywhere in the world with the same MAC address when supplied --- but it can be changed/spoofed, so, like one of those light luggage locks we use when travelling, it is a deterrent against the casual thief, but not against anyone more determined.

Assigning fixed IP addresses is what you do [in Windows] after unchecking obtain an IP address automatically. Personally, I always do. If it wasn't for my Logitech Squeezebox, which cannot [easily] be assigned a fixed address, I'd just turn off DHCP and forget it. Possibly just a habit: dates back to the days when the hosts file was part of my inventory system, and DHCP was just something else that might go wrong.

*sorry, splitting. It's bones, one picks, as in having a quarrel --- and I'm certainly not doing that!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 25th November 2010 at 21:03.
Old 25th November 2010, 21:35   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Sure Rohan.

This is what i have done -

1) keep WiFi off whenever not needed, since this router has that provision.
Why bother? When you dont need the Wifi, can't you just power off the router? Saves Energy....unless you have other equipemts/laptops/desktops etc connected via ethernet cables.

Do check if any latest firmware revision/update is avlbl.
==============

MAC address filtering will give you better control on assigning the same ip address everytime to your laptop or mobile or any other device which are DHCP enabled. Usefull in certain situations.
Old 25th November 2010, 22:36   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
Do check if any latest firmware revision/update is avlbl.
... and think three times before applying it. Failed hardware upgrades result in expensive paperweights. No need to fix it if it isn't broken!

Quote:
MAC address filtering will give you better control on assigning the same ip address everytime to your laptop or mobile or any other device which are DHCP enabled. Usefull in certain situations.
Different things. MAC filtering is just that: a machine doesn't get to connect unless its MAC address is (or pretends to be) one on the list. On a different page of the router controls there may be a facility to specify, under DHCP, that a specific device always gets the same IP.
Old 26th November 2010, 00:26   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
... and think three times before applying it. Failed hardware upgrades result in expensive paperweights. No need to fix it if it isn't broken!
Hahaha! Keeping strictly the discussion on routers, how do we exactly know that it isnt broken...just becos one is able to connect and surf the net does not mean there is no serious bug lurking somewhere. Having said that, it makes sense to see the list of bug fixes if avlbl to make a decision to update or not.

Not required to be afraid of turning into paperweights as long as you are covered under warranty. All such routers will come with a mechanism to reset to factory defaults if something goes wrong.

Quote:
Different things. MAC filtering is just that: a machine doesn't get to connect unless its MAC address is (or pretends to be) one on the list. On a different page of the router controls there may be a facility to specify, under DHCP, that a specific device always gets the same IP.
Yep..I was just adding one more benefit to what you have posted earlier.
Old 26th November 2010, 02:42   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

You know it isn't broken because it works! Keep it Simple!

Quote:
All such routers will come with a mechanism to reset to factory defaults if something goes wrong.
Beware! Reset to factory default won't recover you from a brick situation. Getting your brick fixed under warranty means living without it until they do.

The firmware upgrade rules: Only if it fixes something you know about or gives you functionality you need. Believe me, those of us who made up the rule learnt the hard way.

Of course, it is possible that they developed some goodies while your box was sitting on the warehouse shelf. But what? The biggest change in routers in years has been the price! Anyway, it is a personal decision, but I would never recommend someone to rush to seek upgrades.

Quote:
.I was just adding one more benefit to what you have posted earlier.
And I was saying that you were confusing two things... adding MAC address filter is nothing to do with DHCP. (unless you've got a router that combines the two somehow? I know the principles, but every model, of course not!)

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 26th November 2010 at 02:45.
Old 26th November 2010, 07:21   #75
BHPian

That's some advise Thad@! Now I will perpetually live under the fear of getting bricked...so no OS updates, no antivirus updates, no mobile firmware updates...LOL.
===
Point taken. There is mac filtering (Advanced>Wireless Settings>Setup Access List) & then there is lan address reservation (Advanced>Lan Setup)..what I was trying to point out was the latter - purpose of both are distinct.

Most Viewed