Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2011, 09:51   #136
BHPian

re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It is cheep and simple to add a network card to your PC. If it is not nearby to your modem and your [new] router, you can even add a wifi card!
Hi,

thanks for ur reply. In any case i need to change my Beetel 220BX modem and replace it with a wifi modem. when i contacted airtel for this, they said they dont provide wifi modems and i can buy from the market. So which model is preffered?

Thanks.
Old 4th April 2011, 11:44   #137
Senior - BHPian

Don't worry about model, go to nearby PC shop and buy any router from Netgear/Linksys.

WiFi routers are now almost like stationary items. All of them would cost 1400 - 2000 for average user and will support WAP encryption (so that others can't misuse your wireless network) and will support speeds up to 54 mbps.

There are expensive ones, but go for those only if you need something very specific. Like using two internet connections at the same time.
Old 4th April 2011, 20:25   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Don't worry about model, go to nearby PC shop and buy any router from Netgear/Linksys.

WiFi routers are now almost like stationary items. All of them would cost 1400 - 2000 for average user and will support WAP encryption (so that others can't misuse your wireless network) and will support speeds up to 54 mbps.

There are expensive ones, but go for those only if you need something very specific. Like using two internet connections at the same time.
Hi,

thanks for your reply. Can't i use two connections simulataneosly,one using USB port and other on wifi LAN.

Thanks
Old 4th April 2011, 23:51   #139
Senior - BHPian

I think this router would switch to PPPOE via PC when used via USB. LAN port in router would not work in that case.

Easiest option is to buy a WiFi dongle and attach it to one of USB ports in PC. Or you can buy a USB adapter that would let you connect to LAN via USB. That costs 50 Rs to 200 depending on shop. E.g.:

eBay India: USB TO Ethernet 10/100 MBPS Net Work Lan Adaptor Lan (item 270728677202 end time 06-Apr-2011 01:14:25 IST)
Old 5th April 2011, 03:02   #140
BHPian

According to the user manual, Beetel 220BX supports both USB and ethernet ports simultaneously.

In that case, you can just buy any common wireless router from the market. Please, don't waste money on any specific wireless "modem".

First try attaching a wifi router to your modem. If your modem does not support USB while on ethernet, you could then buy a ethernet or wifi PCI card for your PC.

basic ethernet card costs around 150 Rs. and WIFI card around 750 Rs.

On Wi-Fi & Routers-1.png

Last edited by Comrade : 5th April 2011 at 03:09.
Old 6th April 2011, 18:46   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
According to the user manual, Beetel 220BX supports both USB and ethernet ports simultaneously.

In that case, you can just buy any common wireless router from the market. Please, don't waste money on any specific wireless "modem".

First try attaching a wifi router to your modem. If your modem does not support USB while on ethernet, you could then buy a ethernet or wifi PCI card for your PC.

basic ethernet card costs around 150 Rs. and WIFI card around 750 Rs.

Attachment 527261
Hi,

thanks for your reply. Could you be more clear, since i require a wireless modem to replace the old Beetwl 220Bx modem. So which model of wireless modem can i go for?

thanks
Old 7th April 2011, 20:49   #142
BHPian

1. My suggestion, do not buy a wireless "modem". Continue using your existing beetel modem, and add a wireless "router" to the existing modem.

basic WIFI modem could easily cost 2000 Rs. while you might be able to get a good WIFI router for 1100/1200 Rs.

2. As for your PC with only USB port, you should be able to use the existing connection (USB to USB). If you are not able to use USB to USB, you can buy a LAN card (100-200 Rs.) for the PC and connect it to the new router.

3. WIFI routers are one of the most common commodities in the PC market. I am not aware what exact models are available currently. But, you shouldn't go wrong with the most common brands like Linksys or netgear.

On Wi-Fi & Routers-untitled.png
Old 11th May 2011, 18:27   #143
BHPian

I am using Airtel broadband connection with the Beetel USB modem. I nned to plug in a wireless router the same broadband connection to use my PC and portable devices simultaneously

AFAIK, the beetel modem provided by Airtel doesnt have a RJ44 port to connect to the wireless router. Moreover, the beetel modem being a USB device works like a dial up modem - which means one has to dial in thru the software installed on the PC to connect to the internet. If the PC is down, then the wireless router will not work.

I can replace the existing beetel usb modem with a DSL router and add in a wireless router or get an ADSL modem with built in wireless router. Linksys has two such devices - Modems

Need your expert views in resolving this situation.

Thanks,

[quote=Comrade;2306504]1. My suggestion, do not buy a wireless "modem". Continue using your existing beetel modem, and add a wireless "router" to the existing modem.
Old 11th May 2011, 20:20   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkglow View Post
I am using Airtel broadband connection with the Beetel USB modem. I nned to plug in a wireless router the same broadband connection to use my PC and portable devices simultaneously

AFAIK, the beetel modem provided by Airtel doesnt have a RJ44 port to connect to the wireless router. Moreover, the beetel modem being a USB device works like a dial up modem - which means one has to dial in thru the software installed on the PC to connect to the internet. If the PC is down, then the wireless router will not work.

I can replace the existing beetel usb modem with a DSL router and add in a wireless router or get an ADSL modem with built in wireless router. Linksys has two such devices - Modems

Need your expert views in resolving this situation.

Thanks,
Talk to Airtel customer care, they may be able to provide you a ADSL modem with built in wifi router. They may charge for this - either one time charge or extra rental.

Other approach is to ask Airtel to replace USB modem with ADSL modem. This should be possible free of cost. After this, buy your own wifi router and connect to Airtel's ADSL modem.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2011, 20:43   #145
BHPian

@sparkglow:

If you have separate modem and router, you could use the router in future with any connection protocol besides ADSL (as an range extender, as a bridge, as a router for coaxial modem. router for optical fiber modem. router for wimax modem etc).

The single adsl-router device would not work with any other modem or as an individual router/extender/bridge etc. I learnt it the hard way. I have a ADSL-router combo lying useless at home.

Since you only have a USB modem, ask airtel to replace it with a DSL modem. Talk them into it. They generally provide them for free. Purchase a separate router.
Comrade is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2011, 20:50   #146
BHPian

Thank you rohan & comrade!

Makes more sense to upgrade the USB modem to router and buy a wireless router.

Cheers!
Old 21st May 2011, 13:53   #147
BHPian

Hi,

I have a Beetel220Bx(modem+router-wired). Plannig to upgrade to Linksys E1000 (wireless router).
Price from dealer for Linksys E1000 -INR 2750 with 1 yr waranty
Netgear - INR 1650 with 2 yrs waranty
Belkin - INR 1350 with 3 yrs waranty.

If my place router at Ground floor,will i receive a good signal stretgh at 1st and 2nd floors(the dealer says linksys E1000 offers better coverage compared to other two)

Also my Home PC is windows XP(P3 processor) and has only a USB port,so i have to connect to my Beetel 220Bx on USB and laptop is Windows vista and has wireless card.

Linksys E1000 supports service pack 3 for windows XP.

Pls suggest which among linksys E1000/netgear/belkin is a better deal to go for.

Thanks
Old 21st May 2011, 14:38   #148
Senior - BHPian

Even when I went to purchase a wireless modem I had a lot of questions.
I settled for Linksys E1000 and I am able to get the connection in 1st floor and 2ndfloor.
Only problem is with the price.I got the modem for Rs.2700.
As for the other models I have no idea regarding the other modem perfomance.Some of our netgurus can answer.
Hope this was helpful. @sathya_j2084

Last edited by gajadonga : 21st May 2011 at 14:39.
Old 21st May 2011, 14:47   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
Even when I went to purchase a wireless modem I had a lot of questions.
I settled for Linksys E1000 and I am able to get the connection in 1st floor and 2ndfloor.
Only problem is with the price.I got the modem for Rs.2700.
As for the other models I have no idea regarding the other modem perfomance.Some of our netgurus can answer.
Hope this was helpful. @sathya_j2084
Hi,

Thanks for ur quick response.Can you explain on the connectivity(between 220Bx and E1000),cables to be used(cat-5 with straight or cross) and the config part.

Thanks
Old 21st May 2011, 15:17   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_j2084 View Post
Hi,

Thanks for ur quick response.Can you explain on the connectivity(between 220Bx and E1000),cables to be used(cat-5 with straight or cross) and the config part.

Thanks
Gosh this Connectivity and cable is greek and latin sorry @sathya_j2084 I have no idea

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks