Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2012, 21:19   #496
BHPian

re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Hi everybody.
Based on the reviews i read here and on flipkart i bought tp.link 8951nd wireless router with adsl.Trust me guys am very disapointed with the poor range.My bsnl router was fabulous in every corner of my house.This tp.link dosent give network in half the area.Just a fair statusIts very poor in range and would not recommend to anybody.Service helpline told me to update and i did so however its just the same.Very bad product.
Old 17th October 2012, 00:44   #497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian
Hi everybody.
Based on the reviews i read here and on flipkart i bought tp.link 8951nd wireless router with adsl.Trust me guys am very disapointed with the poor range.My bsnl router was fabulous in every corner of my house.This tp.link dosent give network in half the area.Just a fair statusIts very poor in range and would not recommend to anybody.Service helpline told me to update and i did so however its just the same.Very bad product.
Return it! They accept returns I think within a month, not sure on electronics though.
Old 17th October 2012, 10:54   #498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
This WRT54G Linksys router is one heck of a device. It is running for last 4 years with out a glitch. I hardly switch it off. Also as you pointed out the signal strength is unmatched. it reaches every corner of my home with min 3 bars signal strength.
Please join me in WRT54G fanclub. My router is 5 years old now and it just refuses to die. When I moved in to G+1 house a year ago I was apprehensive of how this router will perform and was thinking of investing in a router in better range. I just set it up on after moving and I have not had any issues with accessing the Wifi signal in any part of the house.

Last edited by DWind : 17th October 2012 at 10:56.
Old 17th October 2012, 10:58   #499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind
Please join me in WRT54G fanclub. My router is 5 years old now and it just refuses to die. When I moved in to duplex house a year ago I was apprehensive of how this router will perform and was thinking of investing in a router in better range. I just set it up on after moving and I have not had any issues with accessing the Wifi signal in any part of the house.
WRT54G Totally Rocks!!! Been at it since 6 months and I couldn't have been happier
Old 24th October 2012, 12:39   #500
BHPian

Using Belkin N100 wifi modem-router for last 3 months.
Quite weak signals I must say it works good in the room and little beyond but 20 feet is what seems to be its good range.
Old 26th October 2012, 20:01   #501
BHPian

Got the ASUS RT-N66 a week ago and boy am I loving the signal! It is FREAKING awesome! I read on the internet that it can used for downloading torrents without having to switch on the PC? Can someone guide me as to how that is possible.

Also I have a 1tb wd external hard disk connected to the USB port of the router. How do I access the hard disk on my PC using AiCloud app on my G-Note?

Cheers,
Kaushik
Old 28th October 2012, 22:13   #502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaush666
Got the ASUS RT-N66 a week ago and boy am I loving the signal! It is FREAKING awesome! I read on the internet that it can used for downloading torrents without having to switch on the PC? Can someone guide me as to how that is possible.

Also I have a 1tb wd external hard disk connected to the USB port of the router. How do I access the hard disk on my PC using AiCloud app on my G-Note?

Cheers,
Kaushik
Normally I assume for getting more out of your router, one would need to install an open source firmware on it like DD-WRT, Tomato etc
Google them and you should be able to follow the steps.
Old 29th October 2012, 08:06   #503
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaush666 View Post

Cheers,
Kaushik
First keep an eye on this forumn http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40 for latest firmware updates. I am sure your router will have an older version of the firmware.

For using torrents, check this video from Asus

As for using the AiCloud app, once your phone is on the same home network, all you have to do is run the cloud app and it will detect your N66 router, you just select that and it you should see all the folders..

I have been using this router for the past 6 to 8 months and have never felt the need for tomato or other firmware, Asus has been dishing out firmwares consistently.

As for using the 1 TB HDD, I too tried that but the router used to freeze after some time, so gave up that idea. Finally bought a 32 GB pendrive formatted it to EXT filesystem and all is well since then. If you really want to give the 1 TB drive, I would say format it to EXT [a native format which linux understands, the router uses linux].

PS:- You have purchased the best router in market at present . FYI the router also has DLNA, it can stream movies on your network, just make sure your TV is on the network. I have connected my plasma to my wifi using http://www.netgear.com/home/products.../WNCE3001.aspx. It is so much fun when you have such a capable router.
Old 29th October 2012, 08:09   #504
BHPian

I have an old Netgear router. Of late facing the following issue. When I switch on the laptop after hibernation it is not able to connect to the wifi n/w. Only a router re-boot resolves this issue.

Any tips on how to resolve this ?

Thanks
Fillmore
Old 29th October 2012, 08:16   #505
BHPian

My bsnl ZTE wireless modem has been doing faithful duty for the last 4 years without any hiccups. The range is good and the signal is also adequate even when I am in my garden. I have no complaints so far.
Old 29th October 2012, 09:34   #506
AWD
BHPian

Im looking for a WiFi router with long range. Basically I need signals to work across 2-3 floors on the same building. The signals form my old UTStarcom Modem do not work.
Old 29th October 2012, 09:37   #507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Im looking for a WiFi router with long range. Basically I need signals to work across 2-3 floors on the same building. The signals form my old UTStarcom Modem do not work.
Highly improbable that a single router will give you signals across 2-3 floors, not even a $2000 5ghz high intensity one would.

Get realistic, buy multiple routers.
Old 29th October 2012, 09:40   #508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore
I have an old Netgear router. Of late facing the following issue. When I switch on the laptop after hibernation it is not able to connect to the wifi n/w. Only a router re-boot resolves this issue.

Any tips on how to resolve this ?

Thanks
Fillmore
Have you tried a adapter disable and enable on your laptop? I had a similar issue and thought the problem was with my router, till I discovered that it was my laptop wireless card. Noticed my phone never had the problem.
Old 29th October 2012, 11:08   #509
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Highly improbable that a single router will give you signals across 2-3 floors
Oh that's sad! Instaed of multiple routers could I use Signal Amplifiers or range extenders?
Old 29th October 2012, 11:26   #510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Oh that's sad! Instaed of multiple routers could I use Signal Amplifiers or range extenders?
You could, there are two issues though:

1. That would push signal levels beyond "safe" limits
2. Not only the WiFi router, but even laptops / desktops will have to increase Transmission power to that signal reaches router. This might not be possible with some phones and laptops.

Most Viewed