Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2012, 06:02   #556
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone
Guys, I am in need of your help.
I am a complete noob in networking and stuff.
I use a MTNL adsl modem, not the wifi one. The modem is by MTNL and am paying a rent of Rs. 50 per month as of now.
Now, I am thinking of getting a wireless modem, one with a decent range and a decent price tag.
I would be surrendering the present modem to MTNL and would be using only the wifi one. Is it possible?
MTNL is offering the wifi modem for Rs. 600 + Rs.50 rental as usual.
I don't know its range nor any specifications. Would it be a good idea to go for it as I get a replacement if something goes wrong.

I also got this one on Ebay with a 3 year warranty. Would this be a better buy than the MTNL one?

What is the difference between a router and a modem? Will this Router suffice and work if I directly plug it to my ADSL phone line and take the Ethernet wire to the PC?

Any more suggestions for the router? Am looking a one with decent price tag (<1500/-). Distance is not an issue and a 150 feet one should suffice.

Looking forward to your help.

Thanks!
You would need a router modem. Just a router will not suffice. Best you go with the 600 + 50 option from mtnl. If it gets spoilt, they replace. Also I they will set it up for you.
Old 30th November 2012, 07:56   #557
BHPian

re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
You would need a router modem. Just a router will not suffice. Best you go with the 600 + 50 option from mtnl. If it gets spoilt, they replace. Also I they will set it up for you.
yes, they install it for me. Have made an application for the same with MTNL, to be addressed within 2-3 days!

In future, if need arises, can I add another router to extend my range? Or are there repeaters or something?

Thank you
Old 30th November 2012, 08:36   #558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone

yes, they install it for me. Have made an application for the same with MTNL, to be addressed within 2-3 days!

In future, if need arises, can I add another router to extend my range? Or are there repeaters or something?

Thank you
Yes you can buy a compatible router that can act as a repeater to increase coverage. I am using one in such a scenario and works very well.
Old 13th December 2012, 10:23   #559
BHPian

I'm planning to buy a Modem+ Wi Fi Router for my BSNL broadband connection. Saw one D-Link model in Flipkart, Model no: DSL-2750U. Is anyone using this model? Is this good? If not, could you guys please recommend a good model? Any help would be appreciated
Old 13th December 2012, 11:26   #560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neerajpv87 View Post
I'm planning to buy a Modem+ Wi Fi Router for my BSNL broadband connection. Saw one D-Link model in Flipkart, Model no: DSL-2750U. Is anyone using this model? Is this good? If not, could you guys please recommend a good model? Any help would be appreciated
The biggest criteria for modem + router selection would be what kind of range are you looking for. First you have to decide that and then look for a suitable ADSL router.

The DSL2750U is a good value for money router.
Old 13th December 2012, 18:06   #561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
The biggest criteria for modem + router selection would be what kind of range are you looking for. First you have to decide that and then look for a suitable ADSL router.

The DSL2750U is a good value for money router.
I don't need any high end equipment as such, since the range of the older BSNL Wi Fi modem was more than enough for my use. A basic model with normal range would suffice I think. I'd be using Internet for 15-20 hrs a day, so the device should be able to handle it, That's my only requirement.
Old 13th December 2012, 18:19   #562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't need any high end equipment as such, since the range of the older BSNL Wi Fi modem was more than enough for my use. A basic model with normal range would suffice I think. I'd be using Internet for 15-20 hrs a day, so the device should be able to handle it, That's my only requirement.
Well then this router should serve you well. Like I said it is absolute value for money router.
Old 14th December 2012, 11:20   #563
BHPian

Quote:
Well then this router should serve you well. Like I said it is absolute value for money router.
How does it compare to Belkin N150 and Netgear DGN1000? Which one's better?
Old 14th December 2012, 11:24   #564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How does it compare to Belkin N150 and Netgear DGN1000? Which one's better?
Don't have any experience with either of those two routers. So I can't help you there. Sorry. :(

But can say that the DSL-2750U has been performing well since I bought it and I have not faced any problems with it till date.
Old 14th December 2012, 12:25   #565
Senior - BHPian

I picked up an Asus N13U 3G B1 router yesterday, and hooked it up with my existing Airtel DSL Modem and have switched my home wifi network to operate out of this new router now.
Here is a brief experience summary:
- Cost 2900 from EBay.in.
- Setup is damn easy and very nice wizards to guide you though most things
- Setup my HDD as a Network Storage. However, EXT* partitions are not getting published. The NTFS and FAT* partitions are automatically getting published. This also gives you the option of sharing your HDD as a File Server over Internet, although it is a paid service.
- Fantastic graphical interface available to see which devices are connecting to the router and to control each of them individually.
- Covers all corners of my house with FULL Signal strength. The house, in question though, is a meagre 2000 sq. ft. apartment.
- Connected 5 devices simultaneously and I have options to limit bandwidth allocation for each device individually
- Very easy to set up Firewall
- Very easy to set up bandwidth allocation for various data consumption needs

That's all for now, and will post more as I learn more. Cheers!
Old 14th December 2012, 13:42   #566
BHPian

After the original MT841 from BSNL started showing aging signs, I too ordered this Dlink 2750U DSL modem/router from Flipkart - few weeks back for Rs.2340/-. It stopped working within one day, and after follow-up, got a replacement which is working fine.

I am facing a problem with the correct/optimal MTU setting with this modem. Never had issues with the original MT841 modem (rather I never bothered to check it). The issue I face is, some times (rarely), the page does not load. The reason cited on some online forums was the MTU setting mismatch. Suggestion was to tweak the MTU to the value which is supported by the network (for me, ping works till a buffer size of 1432 bytes. Beyond this, ping fails). When I change the MTU size to 1460 bytes (1432+28 byte overhead), the modem behaves funny (like does not connect to the admin page, does not sync etc).

Quote:
Don't have any experience with either of those two routers. So I can't help you there. Sorry. :(

But can say that the DSL-2750U has been performing well since I bought it and I have not faced any problems with it till date.
Vikram: Are you using this modem for a BSNL ADSL connection? What is the MTU setting you have on your modem please? Also, can you pl. post the ping output varying the payload size please?

Command to execute is
c:> ping www.yahoo.com -l 1432

(vary the payload size to your MTU size - 28).

Last edited by null : 14th December 2012 at 13:46. Reason: Edit
Old 14th December 2012, 15:00   #567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
Vikram: Are you using this modem for a BSNL ADSL connection? What is the MTU setting you have on your modem please? Also, can you pl. post the ping output varying the payload size please?
I am using this modem for an Airtel connection and I have no issues that you have mentioned.

Edit: Check and see if the page link below can offer you some help.

http://techforumindia.com/index.php?topic=4323.0

Edit2: What was the default MTU setting on your modem. I cant recall my setting now as my modem is installed at home.

Last edited by vikram_d : 14th December 2012 at 15:09.
Old 14th December 2012, 15:13   #568
Senior - BHPian

My Belkin Wifi Router (G) has started acting up,and i am looking for a replacement,i want one with good range,our building was constructed when the british ruled india,so the walls are extremely thick,and its very difficult to get the wifi signal even in the next room,any suggestions for a router with good range?
Old 20th December 2012, 14:49   #569
Senior - BHPian

I just purchased a DLink 2750U WiFi modem two days back to replace my 2 year old el crapo VMC modem which retired hurt. Total cost Rs 2415 inclusive of tax. Prices have increased by about Rs. 300 recently. Installation was a breeze with the CD that came along. I used the screenshots from the link provided by Vikram to configure WiFi security. The only thing you actually need before hand is your broadband userid and password. The setup CD took care of everything else. This was done all by myself for my BSNL connection. It's pretty much plug and play, no need to ask the BSNL guys to configure it for you. It's working fine so far. My Android phone finds it difficult to show full range unless i sit near the modem. No such issues with the laptop though. So I guess I should have more to do with the phone rather than the modem. Watching you tube videos have been pretty smooth on Wifi, in fact even better than when it was wired to the previous modem. All in all seems to be a pretty decent product with the experience so far.

Note : Modem was configured through my PC running Win XP Pro 32 bit. My laptop runs on Win 7 64 bit. The packaging says Win XP through Win 7 OS is supported. No idea of Win 8 though.

Last edited by longhorn : 20th December 2012 at 14:54.
Old 20th December 2012, 14:54   #570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
Note : Modem was configured through my PC running Win XP Pro 32 bit. My laptop runs on Win 7 64 bit. The packaging says Win XP through Win 7 OS is supported. No idea of Win 8 though.
Any device which has WiFi will work with the modem. Also the modem has a web configuration utility. So any operating system with a web browser can be used to configure it.

Most Viewed