Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2013, 16:36   #586
BHPian

re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

@rbp: Thanks for the tip but that router is way out of my budget, I just need a basic wireless router, no frills.
Old 8th March 2013, 16:44   #587
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells_Fury View Post
@rbp: Thanks for the tip but that router is way out of my budget, I just need a basic wireless router, no frills.
No basic router can stream 720p movie without the video getting choppy, forget the 1080p video. U will only get frustrated if u get a basic one.
Old 8th March 2013, 16:53   #588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
No basic router can stream 720p movie without the video getting choppy, forget the 1080p video. U will only get frustrated if u get a basic one.
Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll have to up my budget by quite a bit for this though
Old 8th March 2013, 17:09   #589
BHPian

Quote:
Just one advice, please buy Asus RT66U, though costly u won't regret the buy, I have a tablet, laptop and my plasma connected to it, the router simultaneously downloads torrents and also streams 720p and 1080p movies from a 500 GB hard disk connected to it. It does all this without a sweat. I paid 13.5k in blr, in US it is cheaper.
where did you source the router from? Details would be appreciated.

thanks!
Old 8th March 2013, 17:16   #590
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babhishek View Post
where did you source the router from? Details would be appreciated.

thanks!
http://www.flipkart.com/m/asus-rt-n6...tracker=browse

By the way I bought it from a shop in Bangalore.
Old 8th March 2013, 18:42   #591
Senior - BHPian

If the 66u is to expensive, pick up the n16. While this is not dual band, it still is pretty awesome in every other way and costs less than 6000 bucks.
Old 8th March 2013, 18:54   #592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
If the 66u is to expensive, pick up the n16. While this is not dual band, it still is pretty awesome in every other way and costs less than 6000 bucks.
Will this one be able to support 1080p video streaming and P2P downloads at the same time?
Old 13th March 2013, 19:36   #593
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells_Fury View Post
Will this one be able to support 1080p video streaming and P2P downloads at the same time?
1080p video streaming depends on what the bitrate of the stream is. Will probably work for web streams, low quality 1080p rips. Don't expect 50GB bluray dumps to stream across without some lag.
Old 14th March 2013, 10:19   #594
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
1080p video streaming depends on what the bitrate of the stream is. Will probably work for web streams, low quality 1080p rips. Don't expect 50GB bluray dumps to stream across without some lag.
True. All depends on the bitrate of the encoding. The router manages to easily stream a 1080p file bigger than 10 GB in size effortlessly[I dont recall the bitrate]. It also manages to stream two movies simultaneously at the same time to different devices.
Old 14th March 2013, 11:15   #595
rbp
BHPian

http://www.flipkart.com/asus-rt-n56u...asus%20rt-n56u

The Asus RT-N56U is also an excellent router and costs a lot less than the 66u.
Old 14th March 2013, 11:21   #596
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
http://www.flipkart.com/asus-rt-n56u...asus%20rt-n56u

The Asus RT-N56U is also an excellent router and costs a lot less than the 66u.
Please do be aware that the N56U is based on a ralink soc not broadcom. As a result custom firmware and 3rd party support is pretty poor compared to the N16 or N66u.

Also ralink is known to die because of heat issues and has a lot more problems associated with them compared to much more mature chipsets from Broadcom.

Personally if I were spending so much money on a router, it better be broadcom not ralink. You are better off picking the Netgear WNDR3700 (v1 or v3) if you really must have a dual band router. The v3 sold at most places again is atheros and not broadcom.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 14th March 2013 at 11:24.
Old 14th March 2013, 11:26   #597
BANNED

Quote:

Please do be aware that the N56U is based on a ralink soc not broadcom. As a result custom firmware and 3rd party support is pretty poor compared to the N16 or N66u.

Also ralink is known to die because of heat issues and has a lot more problems associated with them compared to much more mature chipsets from Broadcom.

Personally if I were spending so much money on a router, it better be broadcom not ralink.
Ralink also gets custom firmwares, i have an Rt-n13u which has full fledged dd-wrt support. But custom firmwares also depend on popularity of the router. Mine was very VFM and high performance for the price, so dd-wrt supports it.
Old 14th March 2013, 14:46   #598
rbp
BHPian

Quote:

Personally if I were spending so much money on a router, it better be broadcom not ralink. You are better off picking the Netgear WNDR3700 (v1 or v3) if you really must have a dual band router. The v3 sold at most places again is atheros and not broadcom.
Thanks for the update! I never knew about the over heating issues, I had read a lot of good reviews about it on the smallnetbuilder.com
Old 1st May 2013, 09:39   #599
Senior - BHPian

Guys
just from the internet browsing perspective, which is a good economical modem to go for ? i have an airtel broad band connection. I plan to connect my PC, Ipad and smart phone to the net for browsing through the modem.
airtel is quoting Rs1700 for a wifi modem. should i just go with this or are there better options ?

i dont expect to stream movies through the wifi route
Old 1st May 2013, 12:23   #600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Guys
just from the internet browsing perspective, which is a good economical modem to go for ? i have an airtel broad band connection. I plan to connect my PC, Ipad and smart phone to the net for browsing through the modem.
airtel is quoting Rs1700 for a wifi modem. should i just go with this or are there better options ?

i dont expect to stream movies through the wifi route

Tp link TD-W8961ND

It is300 Mbps .
has dual antenna for more range.

4 lan ports.

A WiFi router is something you'll buy once in 10 years. get something that won't go obsolete soon, or get one with a USB port for shared printing or shared Hard drive storage in future.

Go for something with more range as you'll roam around with your iPad and smartphone.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks