Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2013, 10:27   #691
Senior - BHPian

re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
I currently have a Asus RT-N13U wifi router that has always been very moody when it came to the wireless aspect.
My D-link wifi router was also acting weird a few days back. Fortunately, it was the AC adaptor which was malfunctioning. Bought a new AC adaptor for less than 300 bucks and now the router is good as new.

If you have a spare AC adaptor lying around, or if you can borrow one from a friend, please check if the router still acts moody even with the replacement AC adaptor. (Just ensure that the voltage rating is same and current rating is same or higher as compared to the original adaptor)

Rohan
Old 14th November 2013, 10:34   #692
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Can I request your advice on a wifi router

1.that can work seamlessly across a three floored house
2. will have two laptops
3. 2/3 ipads
4. 2/3 smart phones
5. Apple tv(that small black box)
6. Sony TV

etc kind of equipment that shall use this router.
Old 15th November 2013, 09:47   #693
BHPian

^^ Thanks rohan_iitr , will try that !
Old 15th November 2013, 10:31   #694
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Hi,

2. will have two laptops
3. 2/3 ipads
4. 2/3 smart phones
6. Sony TV

Most routers available in India or elsewhere do most jobs you have asked for except for the highlighted one. Am not sure any router out there would work seamlessly across 3 floored building unless you use repeaters or boosters.
Old 15th November 2013, 12:40   #695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Most routers available in India or elsewhere do most jobs you have asked for except for the highlighted one. Am not sure any router out there would work seamlessly across 3 floored building unless you use repeaters or boosters.
Hi 2500cc,

Thanks for the information. How much would a repeater cost and any suggestions to go with router, as well.
Old 15th November 2013, 12:45   #696
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I am using a reliance 3G dongle and was wondering if it can be used with a wifi router. If yes, which one should i buy?
Old 15th November 2013, 18:21   #697
BHPian

Quote:
Hi 2500cc,

Thanks for the information. How much would a repeater cost and any suggestions to go with router, as well.
Unfortunately, the range extenders are a bit expensive in India (~3k),

May I also suggest you to buy 2 routers and use one of them as Access Point. There are lots of guides and videos out there on www to help you setup.
Old 21st November 2013, 14:25   #698
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, Can I request your advice on a wifi router 1.that can work seamlessly across a three floored house 2. will have two laptops 3. 2/3 ipads 4. 2/3 smart phones 5. Apple tv(that small black box) 6. Sony TV etc kind of equipment that shall use this router.
Hey! I needed almost the same set-up when I built my house and moved in about a year ago.

I researched left and right and there was almost no way for seamless transmission of wireless signal on a stable network that reboots and functions normally after a power outage. Other than one-

Airport Expresses daisy chained to an AirPort Extreme or Time capsule.

Since a majority of my family is Mac, it made sense too.

The Broadband modem is connected via an ethernet cable to the Extreme on our middle floor and two Expresses on the top and ground floor wirelessly extend the same network. It works perfectly. Also with other devices. My family is pretty tech savvy. We have almost 40 devices connecting to the same network on different floors. This includes media boxes, Windows PC's, tablets, phones, speakers, TV's, printers and what not. On top of that, a hard drive connected to the Extreme is used for sharing media and streaming video. It is also connected to our home DVR and it broadcasts our house's live feed to wherever we are.

Setup couldn't be simpler with Airport utility. In fact, I setup the entire network from my iPhone!
Old 21st November 2013, 15:20   #699
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harneet.S View Post
Hey! I needed almost the same set-up when I built my house and moved in about a year ago.
Since its your own house, is it possible for your to route wires to each floor and create a local wifi. That would be much better a solution.
Old 21st November 2013, 15:53   #700
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Getting wi fi to travel through our thick concrete walls over such a long distance will be impossible. What you need is a solution over the existing power lines. You have one master router accepting you ISP and the daisy chain is done via power line wireless adapters. The link below lists products that work this way.

http://www.tp-link.in/products/?categoryid=206
Old 21st November 2013, 16:39   #701
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Since its your own house, is it possible for your to route wires to each floor and create a local wifi. That would be much better a solution.
You're right! It's better to daisy chain with ethernet, but we'd sadly been living in a single floor house prior to this with zero issues from our Linksys router, and had thought it would work fine here, too! It wasn't until we shifted here, and the walls had been painted and no provision for ethernet was discovered, that such research into wifi happened for us. I didn't want 'ugly wire' running about my new house.(Same reason we'd been using Tata Sky HD non Plus up till last six months when Sat-CR started and we were able to route a dual signal through a single cable wire)

Expresses wouldn't extend a non-apple network, although they can create their own but won't allow daisy chaining with one another.

I tried with a Linksys repeater before returning it for store credit. It worked for a few hours to almost a full day. But when there was a power outage or even the <1sec delay for shifting to auxiliary power, the thing wouldn't find our configured network and we'd have to config again. Happened a couple of times.

The Apple store clerk told us that if we aren't able to set it up right, they'd come help us with appropriate placement of the expresses and if we weren't satisfied, they'd refund the money. We were well within our rights to do that. And this from an Apple store in India!
Old 2nd December 2013, 20:31   #702
BHPian

Hi. I'm switching to BSNL broadband in a few days. While I can continue with my wireless router, I will need to purchase an ADSL modem.

1. Can I purchase any ADSL/ADSL2 modem from the market or do only specific ones work with BSNL ?
2. I'm looking for a wireless router + modem + 3g dongle capable device. Please suggest.

In regards to range, the Buffalo WHR G54s that I'm using now covers the house well.

Last edited by vinu_h : 2nd December 2013 at 20:33.
Old 3rd December 2013, 11:33   #703
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

2. will have two laptops
3. 2/3 ipads
4. 2/3 smart phones
6. Sony TV

I kind of had the same issue, 2 floor house but no coverage in certain areas because the wifi router was placed in one end of the house. A few days ago, I had the ethernet line cabled from that corner to a more central area. Even though the house is now around 18 years old, there were ducts in place for phone cables and we used these ducts to pull the ethernet cable and then installed the router on the first floor instead of the ground floor and in a more central area. Now I get seamless wifi all over the house. I am using an Asus RT N16, which even though a bit expensive is quite worth it.
Old 3rd December 2013, 11:41   #704
BHPian

Most of the ADSL modems available in the market will support BSNL and most other ISPs. TP LINK 8951ND ADSL modem + 4 port wireless router is available for Rs.1500/- online. (However, it wont accept a 3g dongle device.) It comes with a setup CD, just type in the isp name and your username and password, the modem will be ready.

If you want to increase speed using multiple internet sources, you can use a s/w called dispatch from Connectify. It will combine all your multiple sources and give an increased speed through put

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
Hi. I'm switching to BSNL broadband in a few days. While I can continue with my wireless router, I will need to purchase an ADSL modem.

1. Can I purchase any ADSL/ADSL2 modem from the market or do only specific ones work with BSNL ?
2. I'm looking for a wireless router + modem + 3g dongle capable device. Please suggest.

In regards to range, the Buffalo WHR G54s that I'm using now covers the house well.

Last edited by vu2pmc : 3rd December 2013 at 11:42.
Old 3rd December 2013, 12:25   #705
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post

Recently I got a connection fom BSNL broadband and the following are from my experiences.
1. You can get any ADSL/ADSL2 modem from market and they can help you with the configuration. BSNL does provide modem + wifi router at a cost of Rs2300, but I have no info on the make of that.

2. You can try DLINK 2750U ADSL2+Wifi router. Retails around Rs2050 online. It also supports 3g dongle using DLINK USB device. I have not tested the 3g dongle yet.

Last edited by rajakumar : 3rd December 2013 at 12:25. Reason: correction

Most Viewed