Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2013, 16:54   #706
BHPian

re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by vu2pmc View Post
Most of the ADSL modems available in the market will support BSNL and most other ISPs. TP LINK 8951ND ADSL modem + 4 port wireless router is available for Rs.1500/- online. (However, it wont accept a 3g dongle device.) It comes with a setup CD, just type in the isp name and your username and password, the modem will be ready.

If you want to increase speed using multiple internet sources, you can use a s/w called dispatch from Connectify. It will combine all your multiple sources and give an increased speed through put
The free version of Connectify does not let us combine 3g dongle with the fixed broadband. I have tried it earlier. Thank you for the advice on the router.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajakumar View Post
Recently I got a connection fom BSNL broadband and the following are from my experiences.
1. You can get any ADSL/ADSL2 modem from market and they can help you with the configuration. BSNL does provide modem + wifi router at a cost of Rs2300, but I have no info on the make of that.

2. You can try DLINK 2750U ADSL2+Wifi router. Retails around Rs2050 online. It also supports 3g dongle using DLINK USB device. I have not tested the 3g dongle yet.
I've been considering 2750U as well. I'm trying to find the TP-Link equivalent of it. Thank you very much for the advice.

Edit: 2750U only supports -Link's DWM-156 data dongle.

Last edited by vinu_h : 3rd December 2013 at 17:00.
Old 3rd December 2013, 17:16   #707
Senior - BHPian

Guys, i am using the old EVDO dongle provided by BSNL. Any wifi router which i can use to plug the dongle ?
Old 3rd December 2013, 17:47   #708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
Guys, i am using the old EVDO dongle provided by BSNL. Any wifi router which i can use to plug the dongle ?
TP Link - W8968. It's going at Rs. 2,515 on Snapdeal.
Old 4th December 2013, 00:00   #709
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Guys, I am using a reliance 3G dongle and was wondering if it can be used with a wifi router. If yes, which one should i buy?
I just bought a TP-Link MR3020 from flipkart and using it already with my BSNL 3G dongle. Once setup, its only a question of powering on the router with the dongle, no dial-in/ connect needed, for net connectivity.
Old 4th December 2013, 10:43   #710
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am using an Asus RT N16, which even though a bit expensive is quite worth it.
Hi Mav2000, thanks for the information. Can you please also share the price and place of the Asus RT N16. I currently have a Belkin 300 at my apartment, will that suffice for the requirement?
Old 6th December 2013, 21:21   #711
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
I just bought a TP-Link MR3020 from flipkart and using it already with my BSNL 3G dongle. Once setup, its only a question of powering on the router with the dongle, no dial-in/ connect needed, for net connectivity.
Thanks, will try for the same. will let you know shortly as soon as I buy it.
Old 21st December 2013, 09:29   #712
BHPian

I have a flat of approx 1100 sqft which I need to connect it to a MTNL/BSNL net connection. In emergencies I might need to connect a 3G data card to the network also. I have shortlisted following routers as per advise in above posts.
http://www.tp-link.in/products/detai...model=TD-W8968 http://www.netgear.cz/images/DGN2200...n1166-8686.pdf

Which of this is better, and will these need any further support of an extender?.

Regards

Kiran
Old 21st December 2013, 15:21   #713
Senior - BHPian

So after exactly an year and two weeks, my TP-Link router went bonkers . I have decided to buy a modem+wifi router instead of a router only. Any suggestions? My devices would be a desktop, a phone and two tablets. Also, if I am not mistaken, I would require a wireless USB adapter,right?

I have short-listed this modem+ router. Yet to decide on the USB adapter. How good is this model?

http://www.flipkart.com/d-link-dsl-2...D4KY4UNGYCZFG&

Also, I see most of the adapters to be 150MBPS ones. Since the above mentioned modem is 300 MBPS one, should my adapter also be 300MBPS?
Old 24th December 2013, 17:47   #714
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I am having a peculiar problem with my WiFi connection at home. I have a linksys wireless router model number wrt54g2. The problem started when I updated my iPhone to iOS 7.04. After the update the iPhone refused to connect to Wifi network. I then had to reset my router since I was not able to connect to router's admin page.

My internet comes via an ethernet cable. I have set the security on the router as WPA2 Personal TKIP+AES. There are four ethernet ports along with another port which says internet. If I connect my ethernet cable for the internet in the internet port behind the router, nothing happens. If I connect the ethernet cable for the internet in one of the four ethernet ports, the internet work but only works in windows!

My android device nexus 5 and ubuntu even though connected to the wifi are not able to access the internet while it work perfectly fine on my windows vista laptop and the iPhone. If I type in 192.168.1.1 on either Nexus 5 or in Ubuntu I am directed to the router's admin page. If I type the same address in Windows, it takes to my internet providers Air OS login screen! I am totally confused as to what is happening and how. Please help me.
Old 25th December 2013, 05:19   #715
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Guys, I am having a peculiar problem with my WiFi connection at home. I have a linksys wireless router model number wrt54g2.

If I type in 192.168.1.1 on either Nexus 5 or in Ubuntu I am directed to the router's admin page.
The linksys wrt54g is one of the best routers which came out a long while back, if the net is not working when you plug it into the internet port at the back it simply means your configuration is wrong. In the admin page. When you plug broadband into any of the 4 Ethernet ports it works as a wireless access point not as a router. The settings for this router is a bit complicated do search up you ll find the solution easily.there are plenty of articles for the 54G. Hope it helps.
Old 25th December 2013, 07:29   #716
BHPian

Quote:
My android device nexus 5 and ubuntu even though connected to the wifi are not able to access the internet while it work perfectly fine on my windows vista laptop and the iPhone. If I type in 192.168.1.1 on either Nexus 5 or in Ubuntu I am directed to the router's admin page. If I type the same address in Windows, it takes to my internet providers Air OS login screen! I am totally confused as to what is happening and how. Please help me.
It looks like an IP conflict. When you did a hard reset, the IP addresses of both the devices might have become same.
I have the following setup:
WRT54G - router IP set as 10.1.1.1 subnet mask 255.255.0.0(you need to set this in router setup, and you may switch off the cable modem while you do this.)
Airtel modem IP set as 192.168.1.1(this may be your cable modem's IP address currently)
Connect the cable from modern to only the internet port of the router. I have also made the mistake of connecting the cable from modem to one of the 4 lan ports and observed strange behaviors, like what you have seen.
Old 25th December 2013, 16:21   #717
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My internet comes via an ethernet cable. [...] If I connect my ethernet cable for the internet in the internet port behind the router, nothing happens. If I connect the ethernet cable for the internet in one of the four ethernet ports, the internet work but only works in windows!

[...] If I type in 192.168.1.1 on either Nexus 5 or in Ubuntu I am directed to the router's admin page. If I type the same address in Windows, it takes to my internet providers Air OS login screen!
This looks to me as if your ISP provides service via PPPoE, the configuration for which got lost when you reset your router to factory defaults. It is likely that the configuration for the same is available on your PC/laptop (perhaps from the time the service was originally provisioned?). The first thing to do is to check the router - possibly in Setup > Basic Setup > Internet Setup - to see what type of Internet connection is configured. Switch to PPPoE and enter your ID/password, and make sure that the ISP cable is in the right port on the router.
Old 2nd January 2014, 18:26   #718
BHPian

Quick query to the n/w experts

The wifi adapter on the laptop is
Ralink RT3290 802.11bgn Wi-Fi Adapter

I have an Asus RTn66u Dual band router. However the laptop is not able to detect the 5gz network, only the 2.4gz network is visible.

netsh wlan show drivers > shows the following Radio frequencies
Radio types supported : 802.11b 802.11g 802.11n

Does this mean that my local adapter does not support 5gz ?

Is 802.11a only a 5gz mode ?
Old 2nd January 2014, 20:05   #719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Does this mean that my local adapter does not support 5gz ?

Is 802.11a only a 5gz mode ?
Likely. Yes, 802.11a operates only at 5 GHz.
Old 11th January 2014, 08:27   #720
BHPian

Anyone here owning an Asus RT-N66U wifi router ?

Have you measured what wifi transfer speeds you are getting for local network access ?

Asus claims upto 900mbps transfer rates.

However I am getting 6mbps transfer speed on the local n/w. i.e. have a USB HDD hooked to the router, and the transfer is from this disk to my laptop via wifi.

I have a friend who has the same model, he too reports same speeds.

Contacted Asus support, and tried all their instructions/ upgrading firmware etc..
Nothing helped.

Signal strength is excellent , No barriers in-between, security set to WPA-2

Thanks @binand for your post above.
I tried on the 5GHz mode also, still same speeds.

-Fillmore.

Last edited by Fillmore : 11th January 2014 at 08:30.

Most Viewed