Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2014, 20:56   #736
BANNED

re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
What kind of router I need wifi router or wifi modem router ? I want to connect my ethernet cable connection.
I need to surf wireless internet on my laptop/smart tv & smart phone, wants to connect a hd to it to view on tv dlna, & wants to connect wireless printer to it, which router shpuld i buy ?
Is apple airport express any better ?
Anyone can suggest one ? DLINK MODEL - N300 will fulfill my criteria ?
thanks
Old 14th January 2014, 22:51   #737
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What kind of router I need wifi router or wifi modem router ? I want to connect my ethernet cable connection.
I need to surf wireless internet on my laptop/smart tv & smart phone, wants to connect a hd to it to view on tv dlna, & wants to connect wireless printer to it, which router shpuld i buy ?
Quote:
thanks
If your broadband comes on ethernet cable, then it is likely to be PPPoE. Just make sure you buy an AP with PPPoE support. What do you mean, connect an HD - seems like you just need a USB 3.0 port as well? I can't comment about the specific models you mention though.
Old 16th January 2014, 20:23   #738
BHPian

Quote:
If your cable provider is providing connection, he would have provided a MODEM already. So you now need to connect only a router for distributing the internet to your devices. Any 802.11 G or N router should do. For DLNA streaming of HD content to TV, hope you have decided on Media Server already?

Quote:
thanks
Old 16th January 2014, 20:38   #739
BHPian

Quote:
Hey buddy, I have youbroadband cable internet connection, Dlink N 300 will do the job. But when you configure it, you will have to call your Internet service provider and ask them to update your MAC Address.
When you ask them to update your MAC Address, make sure that you tell them the MAC address after adding 1 in the last digit. For eg.
If the MAC Address on your N300 written is 78543RF7CER6, then tell your Internet service provider that your MAC Address is 78543RF7CER7.
After they update the MAC address and configure it on PPPOE connection and voila! you are the game.

For your reference, this is the one I am using

On Wi-Fi & Routers-20140116_202524.jpg

On Wi-Fi & Routers-router.jpg
Old 17th January 2014, 21:06   #740
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
@rbp & @Kaushik , Can you please confirm what transfer speeds are you getting for local intranet transfers ? i.e. files from your HDD connected to the router ?

If you are getting > 6mbps we would be interested in checking out your settings.
Around 6mbps is what I'm getting at the moment. A little more or little less sometimes depending on the no. of devices that are accessing the data.

Cheers,
Kaushik
Old 19th January 2014, 23:09   #741
BANNED

binand & DWind & pg83
Firstly thanks everyone for your support
Is buying a media server is necessary or I can plug the hardisk to a router ? my tv has dlna so i require a media server or not ?
I'm still unsure which router to buy, my main requirement is to connect my 1tb wd passport hardisk to it.
Thanks !

Last edited by unknown : 19th January 2014 at 23:23.
Old 23rd January 2014, 00:13   #742
BANNED

My connection Is cable ( I don't require a login/pass to access internet), I bought an Dlink Wireless N300 ADSL2 + ROUTER - I'm having hard time configuring it.
If I start without cd, In Win 7 It asks for 8 digit pin ( there no pin written on back of box) & if i setup using cd - I don't have telephone line only one cable ( Only one ethernet cable I don't know how to set up this or I bought wrong model ( model + router).
Old 23rd January 2014, 09:52   #743
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My connection Is cable ( I don't require a login/pass to access internet), I bought an Dlink Wireless N300 ADSL2 + ROUTER - I'm having hard time configuring it.
If I start without cd, In Win 7 It asks for 8 digit pin ( there no pin written on back of box) & if i setup using cd - I don't have telephone line only one cable ( Only one ethernet cable I don't know how to set up this or I bought wrong model ( model + router).
I think you have purchased the wrong model.

What you have purchased is a combo of ADSL modem and wifi router. This takes the telephone line (RJ11) as the input.

If your internet connection is coming over an ethernet cable (RJ45), then you don't need a modem. Go for a wifi router only.

Rohan
Old 23rd January 2014, 11:18   #744
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
Anybody has used this router with Airtel 4G Dongle. Please give your feedback. There are mixed reviews in the website where for some it worked and some it has not.
http://www.flipkart.com/tp-link-tl-m...f-ed5d85fa1ac3
Finally got this. It's working perfectly fine. Anyone intend to go for it with Airtel 4G dongle, buy it only if the model of the dongle is Hauwei. if it is ZTE, then it won't work as per the reviews.
Old 24th January 2014, 11:32   #745
BHPian

Quote:
Firstly Could you please tell us which Internet Service providor are you using? IMO you are using an internet connection which has given a static IP address.
Secondly, it seems you have bought wrong modem, as the one you have bought seems to have WAN on RJ11 where as you need a modem on which WAN is on RJ45.
The router which works with RJ45 as WAN generally doesnt have RJ11 port.
Old 24th January 2014, 11:47   #746
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I need some help regarding wifi at home. I have a TPLINK Router at home

This one : http://www.flipkart.com/tp-link-tl-w...7-6384d7ef378d

Its installed on the 1st floor in the room towards the end of the house. Now i get weak signals on the ground floor and towards the front section of the house and hence a friend advised i get a repeater and it will help me cover the house properly. I was browsing on Flipkart and came acorss this D-Link DIR-505 http://www.flipkart.com/d-link-dir-5...RDEHFF6AJRARJ3

Also in case my home broad band is not working, can i pop in my Tata Photon in this and use internet?

Will this do the job? Any other suggestions?

Awaiting feedback.

Thank You.

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 24th January 2014 at 11:48.
Old 24th January 2014, 12:13   #747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
I was browsing on Flipkart and came acorss this D-Link DIR-505

Also in case my home broad band is not working, can i pop in my Tata Photon in this and use internet?
I have one of these (DIR-505) at home, for pretty much the same reason. It works quite well as a repeater, but what I find is that it does not retain configuration across power cycles. Its out-of-the-box configuration is to work as a Wifi AP, so you have to connect to it (with the LAN cable) and configure it as a repeater. Then - it is possible I am doing something wrong - I find every time a power cycle happens, it resets back to the AP mode.

Also, this unit does not have a USB port or a SIM slot, so I don't understand how you expect it to take your Photon.
Old 24th January 2014, 12:17   #748
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I have one of these (DIR-505) at home, for pretty much the same reason. It works quite well as a repeater, but what I find is that it does not retain configuration across power cycles. Its out-of-the-box configuration is to work as a Wifi AP, so you have to connect to it (with the LAN cable) and configure it as a repeater. Then - it is possible I am doing something wrong - I find every time a power cycle happens, it resets back to the AP mode.

Also, this unit does not have a USB port or a SIM slot, so I don't understand how you expect it to take your Photon.
Thanks for your response.

I was going through the DLink site and came across this and hence the question about USB / Tata Photon

Features
Complying with the IEEE 802.11 b/g, compatible with IEEE 802.11n products
Up to 150 Mbps data rate
Support Router/Access Point, Repeater and Wi-Fi HotSpot operation modes
1 x Fast Ethernet port
1 USB for media sharing

Source : http://www.dlink.co.in/products/?pid=584

Even their demo video states there is a USB port at the botton

On Wi-Fi & Routers-dlink.jpg
Source:

Regards,

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 24th January 2014 at 12:21.
Old 24th January 2014, 12:26   #749
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
1 USB for media sharing

Even their demo video states there is a USB port at the botton
My apologies then, I must be mistaken. I will check when I'm home in the evening. But in any case, it is a USB port for media sharing; you cannot hook your Photon there.
Old 24th January 2014, 12:36   #750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
My apologies then, I must be mistaken. I will check when I'm home in the evening. But in any case, it is a USB port for media sharing; you cannot hook your Photon there.
Yes. I later figured that out. Its USB only for Media Sharing and not network sharing. For connecting Tata Photon i need something like this, but again i am not sure if it works as repeater.

TP-LINK TL-MR3020
http://www.flipkart.com/tp-link-tl-m...3-dd2981402f87

I saw a few setup videos and demos and reviews on the DLink one and it looks like an interesting product. Might order one today and see how it goes and IF needed will get 1 more and use it to over the Ground Floor section as well.

What is a WISP Client router mode?

Regards,

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 24th January 2014 at 12:38.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks