Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2014, 20:52   #826
BHPian

re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Currently own a Belkin wifi router, been working for the last 4 years. Only hiccup is the wifi range. Now with my Beam connection, facing lot of interruptions. Had to restart to correct it.
I am in a 2bhk, the router is placed in the middle(hall to dining area) at 2ft roof level. I am not getting strong signal in my master bedroom corner areas which is atleast 15ft apart.
Which router would suffice my need?
you can go for dlink 2750u modem+router will cost you around 2k i recently upgraded my router to this one and i am very satisfied with the range. it has mimo technology dual antenna. the router is placed on the second floor and i can easily connect and browse at the ground floor.
Old 19th June 2014, 23:56   #827
BHPian

Hello,

I will be coming to India after a span of 3 years and wanted to upgrade the router/modem which is currently the stock one provided by MTNL in Mumbai.

Can I bring any router from US and can it be just Plug and Play. Or Would I be better off buying it from Flipkart and using a Indian version? Also Will I have to change any settings if I bring a Netgear here from US?
Old 20th June 2014, 07:08   #828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraz33r View Post
Hello,

I will be coming to India after a span of 3 years and wanted to upgrade the router/modem which is currently the stock one provided by MTNL in Mumbai.

Can I bring any router from US and can it be just Plug and Play. Or Would I be better off buying it from Flipkart and using a Indian version? Also Will I have to change any settings if I bring a Netgear here from US?
AFAIK, most modems/routers should be just plug and play.
Hardware wise, I don't think there is any difference between the modems/routers sold in India versus those sold outside India. The difference is only in the software used in the modems/routers.

The easiest way to check is to see if the exact same netgear modem/router is sold in the Indian market. If it is sold in the Indian market, then it will work in India irrespective of where you buy it.

Hope this helps.
Old 20th June 2014, 07:32   #829
BHPian

Quote:
Hello,

Check your power adapter of your netgear to see if it is 230VAC or 110VAC. The US works on 110VAC while India is on 230VAC.
Old 20th June 2014, 08:49   #830
Senior - BHPian

Most power adaptors are universal these days from 100-240 volts. But it always makes sense to check it first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashi63 View Post
Check your power adapter of your netgear to see if it is 230VAC or 110VAC. The US works on 110VAC while India is on 230VAC.
Old 20th June 2014, 14:49   #831
BHPian

Quote:
The expensive Netgear comes with a Dual voltage adapter. I have the N600 and i have to use it with a converter. Netgear R6250 comes with a dual voltage adapter. so you want check beforehand
Old 20th June 2014, 15:46   #832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfyre View Post
AFAIK, most modems/routers should be just plug and play.
Hardware wise, I don't think there is any difference between the modems/routers sold in India versus those sold outside India. The difference is only in the software used in the modems/routers.

The easiest way to check is to see if the exact same netgear modem/router is sold in the Indian market. If it is sold in the Indian market, then it will work in India irrespective of where you buy it.

Hope this helps.
Not exactly. There are slight differences in the permitted frequencies for different countries, as well as manufacturers make different revisions (minor variations in software and sometimes board layout) for different geographies. This is also why you are always asked to install the upgrade firmware only for the region you bought the router in.
Old 20th June 2014, 19:15   #833
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfyre View Post
The easiest way to check is to see if the exact same netgear modem/router is sold in the Indian market......
Quote:

Great! Thanks for your feedback guys! Any other recommendation on a Router based on range? I have a linear house. i.e As I enter : Living room; Adjoining bedroom; and then my bedroom where the router is placed. Want to make sure the range is sufficient enough to reach the Living room.
Old 20th June 2014, 19:51   #834
BHPian

Quote:
Great! Thanks for your feedback guys! Any other recommendation on a Router based on range? I have a linear house. i.e As I enter : Living room; Adjoining bedroom; and then my bedroom where the router is placed. Want to make sure the range is sufficient enough to reach the Living room.
Hey you can refer to my earlier post #772 in this thread for my recommendation. I will recommend the Netgear R7000!
Old 21st June 2014, 07:43   #835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonil.luthra View Post
you can go for dlink 2750u modem+router will cost you around 2k i recently upgraded my router to this one and i am very satisfied with the range. it has mimo technology dual antenna. the router is placed on the second floor and i can easily connect and browse at the ground floor.
Checked in Amazon and this model is a ADSL one which is not supported by my Beam.
I am inclined towards Netgear after reading reviews over in Flipkart. How about these 2 models,
Netgear WNR612 N150 Wireless Router
Netgear JNR1010-100PES 4PT BRIC N150 Wireless Router
Old 21st June 2014, 17:40   #836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Checked in Amazon and this model is a ADSL one which is not supported by my Beam.
I am inclined towards Netgear after reading reviews over in Flipkart. How about these 2 models,
Netgear WNR612 N150 Wireless Router
Netgear JNR1010-100PES 4PT BRIC N150 Wireless Router
both are good but i would suggest you to go for a n300 router as they provide better range and strong signals
Old 29th June 2014, 10:54   #837

Hello all,

I have an Airtel broadband connection in my home. The modem cum router which they provide i.e Binatone DT-850W. It's range is very less. I need wifi access to another room which is approx 50 feet away from the room where modem is placed. In between the rooms is a hall. So obstructions are few walls and doors.

So could anyone please suggest me a good modem cum router so that I can easily get wifi in my other room. Usually high range ones are only routers. I am trying to avoid only routers as that will result in 2 devices i.e router and modem both being placed in the room. If I get modem cum router then only one device will be there.

Kindly suggest me some good products with nice range so that my requirement is fulfilled.

Thank you
Old 8th July 2014, 11:58   #838
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

^D-Link DSL2750U Wireless WiFi Router might suit you best. I too bought one recently, but ended up with ACT Broadband and this Router is lying unused at home.
Old 14th July 2014, 15:32   #839
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praveer View Post
Hello all,

Kindly suggest me some good products with nice range so that my requirement is fulfilled.
Thank you
Suggestion from my side: we had the same range issue as my router is in the 2nd floor and we need access throughout our house. I just bought a netgear repeater from snapdeal for 2.5K and it works like a charm. I get 5 bar signals throughout the house and the setup was a breeze. Alternately , you can root a spare router( in case you have it with tomato firmware @ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomato_(firmware) and use it as a repeater.
Old 14th July 2014, 17:46   #840
BANNED

Slightly OT: I need to configure my WiFi enabled printers (Samsung multi purpose Laser) and Sony Pixma Deskjet. How to set them up? I seem to be getting at best a one time fix!

Most Viewed