Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2014, 17:57   #841
Senior - BHPian

re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Assign the printer a static IP. This would make it easier to find for drivers on PC / Phone.
Old 15th July 2014, 01:17   #842
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Slightly OT: I need to configure my WiFi enabled printers (Samsung multi purpose Laser) and Sony Pixma Deskjet. How to set them up? I seem to be getting at best a one time fix!

You should get a network utility with your printer software that will scan your network and find the printer. Alternately the ip usually will not change and you can add it as one of your printers in devices.
You can reserve the ip in your router settings and also set preferred ip in the printer itself.
Finally someone suggested, you can set a static ip in the printer from a range outside of your dhcp setting.
Old 22nd July 2014, 12:05   #843
Senior - BHPian

Anyone with experience of either of these two devices?

1. SafeStream Wireless N Gigabit Broadband VPN Router TL-ER604W - http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/d...odel=TL-ER604W

2. Wireless Services Router w/ WAN Failover DSR-500N - http://www.dlink.com/us/en/business-...ervices-router

I am evaluating these, and they have all the features I need - multiple WAN ports, Wifi, IPSec. I would like to hear a few recommendations. For example, I read in one review that the TL-ER604W has a power supply that emits a high-pitched noise - which if true, completely rules it out.
Old 22nd July 2014, 21:55   #844
BHPian

Has anyone tried to make Binatone DT-850W (Airtel given router) a repeater?

Have been trying since a week and its turning out to be rocket science. Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 25th July 2014, 20:34   #845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik1100 View Post
^D-Link DSL2750U Wireless WiFi Router might suit you best. I too bought one recently, but ended up with ACT Broadband and this Router is lying unused at home.
Thanks for replying. I did try the mentioned model but it did not fulfilled my requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
Suggestion from my side: I just bought a netgear repeater from snapdeal for 2.5K and it works like a charm. I get 5 bar signals throughout the house and the setup was a breeze. Alternately , you can root a spare router( in case you have it with tomato firmware @ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomato_(firmware) and use it as a repeater.
Thank you. Might give it a try.
Old 26th July 2014, 11:53   #846
BHPian

Guys,

I have a reliance broadband at home which works seamlessly when connected directly to my PC but when connected through my Netgear N router(model JWNR2000) the wifi stops working after 10 minutes and connects back after 15-20 minutes. I verified this by using the internet from my PC for a couple of days, just to rule out issues from reliance and it worked perfectly. There are five devices connected to this router. Is there any settings in the router config that I am missing or should I upgrade the router?
Old 26th July 2014, 16:34   #847
BHPian

I have a BSNL wifi connection which works fine most times. The issue is during power cuts it does not work even though we have the UPS power back.
Is there any settings or some changes that need to be done. When I checked with BSNL they mentioned it should work if there is UPS back up
Any pointers how to resolve this issue. thanks
Old 26th July 2014, 18:24   #848
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil_pon View Post
I have a BSNL wifi connection which works fine most times. The issue is during power cuts it does not work even though we have the UPS power back.
Is there any settings or some changes that need to be done. When I checked with BSNL they mentioned it should work if there is UPS back up
I assume you live in a flat and most probably BSNL would have installed a master unit (don't know the exact name) for the entire building. My assumption is that, during power cuts, that device is not connected to UPS and hence no internet. Check with other BSNL users nearby.
Old 27th July 2014, 10:56   #849
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil_pon View Post

If your landline is working then the internet should work. If you have a multimeter check if your UPS is providing you the same voltage at the power adapter to the wifi modem as during power situation.
Have you checked the modem page to see if it is getting an external IP? What else have you noticed? Are all the lights working on your modem during power cut?
Old 27th July 2014, 10:59   #850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_Safari View Post
Guys,

I have a reliance broadband at home which works seamlessly when connected directly to my PC but when connected through my Netgear N router(model JWNR2000) the wifi stops working after 10 minutes and connects back after 15-20 minutes. There are five devices connected to this router.

Check if you have a firmware upgrade for your wireless device. Also try changing the channel for transmission. It could be cordless phone interference.
Also check for updates on your device firmware - phone, tablet. A friends phone causes his wifi to reboot when he connects his phone to wifi.
Old 27th July 2014, 12:52   #851
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Check if you have a firmware upgrade for your wireless device. Also try changing the channel for transmission. It could be cordless phone interference.
Also check for updates on your device firmware - phone, tablet. A friends phone causes his wifi to reboot when he connects his phone to wifi.

Mine doesn't have any new firmware update since i updated it last year. I have changed the channel for transmission now, let me check if this fixes the problem
Old 30th July 2014, 10:17   #852
BHPian

I use BELKIN wifi device, it works fine but wen the electricity is on UPS it stops working.
the internet provider is BSNL and they have no idea why this issue appears. Even the landline is working fine when there is power shutdown.
I am thinking of using some USB based internet device to overcome this issue but not sure which provider is good and this is remote area (Coorg). Any idea folks which service provider might be better?
Old 1st August 2014, 17:57   #853
BHPian

I have Dlink DSL 2750U Wireless Modem router for my BSNL Broadband connection.Kept it in I floor and get good signal in Ground floor.
However lately net is intermittently on/off though WiFi and Landline are ok. Tried the usual troubleshooting steps but no use. ISP BSNL is unable to solve.
Please let me know If this issue is already discussed in any other thread
Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 19:05   #854
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_Safari View Post
Mine doesn't have any new firmware update since i updated it last year. I have changed the channel for transmission now, let me check if this fixes the problem
This did not fix the problem. What else can be done. Any suggestions?
Old 1st August 2014, 20:02   #855
BHPian

I am using the D-Link DSL-2750U N300 ADSL2 Wi-Fi Router for the last one year with Airtel 16mbps broadband and I am overall happy with the product.

I use the following devices regularly with the router without any problem: Nexus 5, Samsung S4, Apple TV, PS3, iPad, MacBook Pro and Dell PC

Pros
  • Easy to setup
  • It is ADSL Modem + WiFi router, which means you do not need a separate broadband modem (less wires and less clutter)
  • Supports latest IEEE 802.11 b/g/n protocols
  • Trouble free service

Cons
  • The range could have been slightly better. In 1,700 sq. feet house I sometimes face challenge with network on my PS3. The router is in the computer room and PS3 is in the TV room.

Tip: Setup your wifi network as a hidden network so that way only your devices will be able to see the network.

Flipkart (~Rs 2,250)

Amazon.in (~Rs 1,961)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks