Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2014, 14:15   #901
Distinguished - BHPian

re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I have had reason to work with experts in this field in a past job profile. They were all generally in agreement that such specific targeting is a lot more common (maybe even 80% of all attacks) than the opportunistic behaviour you mentioned in a previous post.

They could range from simple identity theft, revenge attacks and crime investigation to sophisticated corporate and political espionage scenarios.
And the Americans/British, of course, who spy on all of us!

But seriously, my work in network security dates back to a much more innocent time. I recall that we engaged an e-mail scanning service just a week before one of the first big mass-attack email-carried viruses hit the world. Pure luck! The simple stuff that I did, then, with a firewall (Checkpoint, I think it was) would probably be laughed at as childish today.
Old 7th August 2014, 17:42   #902
BANNED

See the router is just to connect and not allow neighbours to use it unauthorizedly. The rest is a different matter.
Old 7th August 2014, 18:06   #903
BHPian

Quote:
I have read that Airtel caps your 4G bandwidth at 10 Mbps; is that true ?
Did you do a Speedtest.net ?
Can you share the result ?
Hi Binand,
Yes, I think Airtel caps 4G bandwidth to 10 Mbps too.
Although the advertised bandwidth is much higher, I've not measured bandwidth greater than 10 Mbps.
That said, the upload bandwidth is much higher than what you typically get with ADSL.
Old 10th August 2014, 10:52   #904
BHPian

I am planning to buy DSL 2750u Dlink router for my BSNL connection.
Any thought on this ? This is router + ADSL2 Modem.

http://www.amazon.in/D-Link-DSL-2750...inhydr18418-21
Old 10th August 2014, 21:44   #905
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin_12 View Post
I am planning to buy DSL 2750u Dlink router for my BSNL connection.
Any thought on this ?
This model is being used in my organization since 14 months and caters to the wifi needs of the entire floor. I believe the multiple antennas on it (5 db each?) help the wifi signal reach every nook and corner of the floor that accomodates atleast 200 employees.

Having said that, I am not sure about its performance when the router resides on the Ground Floor and internet is accessed from the 1st floor; or vice-versa.
Old 11th August 2014, 11:51   #906
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin_12 View Post
Any thought on this ? This is router + ADSL2 Modem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
I believe the multiple antennas on it (5 db each?) help the wifi signal reach every nook and corner of the floor that accomodates atleast 200 employees.
One of the reviews says that the Antenna is 2db and not 5 as advertised. Do check the same before buying.
Old 11th August 2014, 12:46   #907
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
One of the reviews says that the Antenna is 2db and not 5 as advertised. Do check the same before buying.
You are correct. The new one comes with 5Db Antenna which have better signal. The antenna is slightly bigger. Thanks for the Info.
Quote:
This model is being used in my organization since 14 months and caters to the wifi needs of the entire floor.
I think this will suffice. Its for my home use.
Old 11th August 2014, 13:06   #908
Senior - BHPian

Guys all my devices(iPad and phone) fail to connect to my wifi in the first attempt. Technically, the device does connect but there is no internet connection. Every time I have to turn off WIFI from my phone/iPad and again switch it on and it starts working after 2 or 3 attempts. Now I was not really bothered about this as I mostly used the LAN directly for my Laptop until recently when I got myself an iPad. I will explain my current setup:

1. I have a BSNL broadband connection which comes with the telephone line
2. I have a modem for the broadband and a separate Wifi router(both D-Link)

This problem has grown to irritate me now. Moreover, none of my laptops could connect to the Wifi. So I have to use the LAN every time I need internet in my laptop.

I have been managing somehow for the past couple of years but lately my mom has been using my iPad and it becomes very cumbersome for her to switch on and off the Wifi in the device.

Do I need to change my router? Please help me out.

Last edited by Pancham : 11th August 2014 at 13:07.
Old 11th August 2014, 13:21   #909
BHPian

Checkout Flipkart as well. Product description says 5dbi antennas. A week back I had a look at it in Croma, Jayanagar when I was in search of a wireless keyboard and mouse combo. Didn't buy it since it was priced around 2750/-. Had checked flipkart for it and it was something around 1990/-

http://www.flipkart.com/d-link-dsl-2...md4ky52tgtbawn
Old 11th August 2014, 13:38   #910
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Technically, the device does connect but there is no internet connection. Every time I have to turn off WIFI from my phone/iPad and again switch it on and it starts working after 2 or 3 attempts.
Probably your DSL modem is configured to activate the connection "On Demand" as opposed to being "Always On". So when a device attempts to connect to the Internet the DSL link activation tasks are performed, which takes some time.
Old 11th August 2014, 14:30   #911
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Moreover, none of my laptops could connect to the Wifi. So I have to use the LAN every time I need internet in my laptop.

I have been managing somehow for the past couple of years but lately my mom has been using my iPad and it becomes very cumbersome for her to switch on and off the Wifi in the device.

Do I need to change my router? Please help me out.
Since you are having connectivity issues with all devices, have you tried switching on and off the wifi router instead? For me, all devices connect (ipad and phone including) but the MacBook pro doesn't. Only router restart helps.

For now, I make do with restarting the router every evening. Planning to install DD-WRT and automate the restart process.
Old 11th August 2014, 14:51   #912
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Probably your DSL modem is configured to activate the connection "On Demand" as opposed to being "Always On". So when a device attempts to connect to the Internet the DSL link activation tasks are performed, which takes some time.
Can you tell me how to check this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Since you are having connectivity issues with all devices, have you tried switching on and off the wifi router instead? For me, all devices connect (ipad and phone including) but the MacBook pro doesn't. Only router restart helps.

For now, I make do with restarting the router every evening. Planning to install DD-WRT and automate the restart process.
Let me clarify. The devices do connect with the Wifi router but it shoes 'no internet access'. And are you asking me to restart the router every time ?
Old 11th August 2014, 15:05   #913
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you tell me how to check this?
See if this helps.

http://www.milesweb.com/blog/how-to-...snl-broadband/

Rohan
Old 11th August 2014, 18:21   #914
BHPian

Quote:
Checkout Flipkart as well. Product description says 5dbi antennas. A week back I had a look at it in Croma, Jayanagar when I was in search of a wireless keyboard and mouse combo. Didn't buy it since it was priced around 2750/-. Had checked flipkart for it and it was something around 1990/-

http://www.flipkart.com/d-link-dsl-2...md4ky52tgtbawn
I got this a while back. The new one with the 5Db antenna does not have a print server option in the firmware. And I could not find a new firmware for this hardware that does support printing. The USB can be used for connecting a HDD without issues. This is a guess that they removed it when they changed the hardware. I may be wrong.
Old 13th August 2014, 12:01   #915
BHPian

No intentions to confuse anyone on the look out for a new ADSL Modem Router; however, the TP LINK models W8961 as well as W8951 are equally good. The former comes equipped with 2 antennas and the latter with one.

We have the W8951 model at our home in Gujarat, and theoretically it has never been switched off since 16 months. It is placed on the 1st floor and the wifi range as seen on mobiles, a tablet and a laptop is more than average on the ground and 2nd floors. And there are so many walls in between!!

Most Viewed