Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2017, 15:43   #1486
BHPian

Re: Duplicating LAN signals

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I have a requirement.
======== I want to have the flexibility to move the router.
The only way this can be done, is if the 4 ports are connected to same L2 switch. It is not possible to duplicate LAN signals in the way you describe.
Old 24th March 2017, 19:40   #1487
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Guys, any idea how I can measure speed at the smart tv end when I access files from NAS? I tried using speedtest but it gives speed of internet connection and I am interested in LAN speed.
If you have a router with openwrt or DD-WRT then it might be possible to get port level statistics.
The other option is to dig deeper into your NAS (I assume it runs on some Linux) and figure out this information.
Smart TV's are generally dumb and you might not get such data from it.

Quote:
I have a requirement. There are 4 LAN points in the house and i have a LAN cable coming in from the ISP. Now i want to have the flexibility of connecting the Wifi Router to any of the 4 LAN points based on where the Wifi signal has the best spread. How can i duplicate the incoming data from the ISP so that it goes to all 4 LAN points and i can hook up the router to any of those LAN points and connect to the internet. I want to have the flexibility to move the router.
I cannot promise you an answer, but is it possible for you to rephrase the scenario?
How are these 4 LAN points connected? Are they 4 separate cables? If yes, where are the other ends of those 4 cables? I assume all of them are at a single point - and you plan to connect them to a switch/ ISP router.
Commonly a WiFi range extender (or several of them) is used to have a complete coverage of your apartment/ property.
Old 24th March 2017, 20:26   #1488
BHPian

Quote:
I have a requirement. There are 4 LAN points in the house and i have a LAN cable coming in from the ISP. Now i want to have the flexibility of connecting the Wifi Router to any of the 4 LAN points based on where the Wifi signal has the best spread. How can i duplicate the incoming data from the ISP so that it goes to all 4 LAN points and i can hook up the router to any of those LAN points and connect to the internet. I want to have the flexibility to move the router.
You might need two routers here or a router and an access point. The setup would be as below.

ISP Lan cable >> Router 1 (with or without wifi) >> 4 home lan ports connect to 4 ports of the router mentioned in teh last step >> 2nd access point or wifi router 2 you connect to any of the 4 home lan ports.

Be sure you connect it to LAN port of wifi router 2 and not WAN port. Also, you have change the mode in router 2 to access point mode.
Old 27th March 2017, 19:03   #1489
BHPian

Re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Recently the speed of my ACT dropped from 90+ to around 20 on a 100mbps plan. After various troubleshooting and replacing the cat5 cable, they asked me to change the speed & duplex property of the network card on my laptopto 100Mbps full duplex. Once this was changed, the speed shot up to 90+. The problem is, once the cable is connected back to the Netgear JR6150 router it goes down to 20Mbps, since the WAN port shows 100 half duplex.

Any idea why this parameter has to change after 2years, and anyway a router port setting could be set to 100 full duplex?

Find it unacceptable that something suddenly changes from one extreme to the other, for which I need to change my port/adapter settings. Even after the line was restored after the Varadah cyclone, I used to get 100Mbps+ on the same router.
Old 27th March 2017, 19:27   #1490
Distinguished - BHPian

Goodness, I have barely heard of such settings in the fourteen years that I have been dealing with only domestic equipment! Everything is self-sensing now. So this is a very curious problem!

I cannot even find any such thing in the settings for my netgear router. I don't even know how to get my Linux system to tell me (find the right dmesg lines, I guess), but I recall there are lights on the machine itself by the network port, green/orange/something.

I wonder... if you could fix the parameters in the bios on your laptop? Warning: your network will not work if both ends cannot agree. In fact, one of my more spectacular mistakes was bringing down a whole ofice network with a wonder-what-happens-if-I-change-this <Blush>
Old 27th March 2017, 20:08   #1491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Goodness, I have barely heard of such settings in the fourteen years that I have been dealing with only domestic equipment! Everything is self-sensing now. So this is a very curious problem!

I cannot even find any such thing in the settings for my netgear router. I don't even know how to get my Linux system to tell me (find the right dmesg lines, I guess), but I recall there are lights on the machine itself by the network port, green/orange/something.

I wonder... if you could fix the parameters in the bios on your laptop? Warning: your network will not work if both ends cannot agree. In fact, one of my more spectacular mistakes was bringing down a whole ofice network with a wonder-what-happens-if-I-change-this <Blush>
By default they are auto sensing. On a PC/Laptop, you could go to the network adapter settings and scroll down on quite a few parameters, which most of us would not even go to. This change makes a difference only when I connect the ACT line directly to my laptop's Ethernet port.

The problem is on the router, there is no configuration on the settings screen that allows me to change the WAN port setting. On the diagnostic screen, I can see that its operating on half duplex.

What annoys me is that until a month ago, with the default settings on the router and laptop/pcs, I used to get good speed, even when all devices are connected (ie. all mobiles and 2 pc/laptops). I am now wondering if the number connections/bandwidth is the problem and they are using this as an excuse.
Old 27th March 2017, 20:21   #1492
Distinguished - BHPian

Nothing on my D6300 either.
Old 9th April 2017, 14:59   #1493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Recently the speed of my ACT dropped from 90+ to around 20 on a 100mbps plan. After various troubleshooting and replacing the cat5 cable, they asked me to change the speed & duplex property of the network card on my laptopto 100Mbps full duplex. Once this was changed, the speed shot up to 90+. The problem is, once the cable is connected back to the Netgear JR6150 router it goes down to 20Mbps, since the WAN port shows 100 half duplex.

Any idea why this parameter has to change after 2years, and anyway a router port setting could be set to 100 full duplex?

Find it unacceptable that something suddenly changes from one extreme to the other, for which I need to change my port/adapter settings. Even after the line was restored after the Varadah cyclone, I used to get 100Mbps+ on the same router.
After complaining with ACT again, and telling them that there is no way that I could configure the WAN port speed or duplex setting , they changed the port to a different junction box ( not sure what is the technical name), and replaced the cable from CAT5 to CAT5E (though they claimed its CAT6), which served the purpose. The router now now negotiates to 1Gbps. The speed was good on laptop and router without any modifications.

The good news for Chennai is that Cherrinet and ACT are competing neck to neck. ACT has bumped its speed from 100Mbps to 150Mbps while Cherrinet has bumped it from 100Mbps to 250 Mbps. Cherrinet is also into the 1 Gbps.

That said, I prefer ACT since they try to genuinely close the issue, though some more training to field staff would help.
Old 11th April 2017, 13:09   #1494
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamal View Post
The only way this can be done, is if the 4 ports are connected to same L2 switch. It is not possible to duplicate LAN signals in the way you describe.
Thank you. That is what even i had thought of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I cannot promise you an answer, but is it possible for you to rephrase the scenario?
How are these 4 LAN points connected? Are they 4 separate cables? If yes, where are the other ends of those 4 cables? I assume all of them are at a single point - and you plan to connect them to a switch/ ISP router.
Commonly a WiFi range extender (or several of them) is used to have a complete coverage of your apartment/ property.
These 4 ports are connected to by LAN cables. The other end of the cables will be dangling at a common location. The cable from the ISP will also come to this common location. From this common location the ISP cable needs to be split to the other cables

Quote:
You might need two routers here or a router and an access point. The setup would be as below.

ISP Lan cable >> Router 1 (with or without wifi) >> 4 home lan ports connect to 4 ports of the router mentioned in teh last step >> 2nd access point or wifi router 2 you connect to any of the 4 home lan ports.

Be sure you connect it to LAN port of wifi router 2 and not WAN port. Also, you have change the mode in router 2 to access point mode.
Cool. Thanks
Old 21st April 2017, 09:23   #1495
Distinguished - BHPian

Secure your WiFi router!

Some Linksys WiFi routers have been classified as vulnerable to attacks.

http://www.linksys.com/us/support-ar...icleNum=246427

Please take steps to secure your router(s) regardless of make/model. The most important steps are to change the default admin password (some models allow change of the username as well), use WPA2 authentication with a complex password/key on all bands and switch off guest WiFi access.
Old 9th May 2017, 15:13   #1496
BHPian

Experts, need help. My routers IP is not in sync with what is assigned by the service provider, although the setting are not tinkered with and I think it is set to Automatic IP. Any idea how to get it right?
Old 9th May 2017, 20:00   #1497
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Experts, need help. My routers IP is not in sync with what is assigned by the service provider, although the setting are not tinkered with and I think it is set to Automatic IP. Any idea how to get it right?
Who is your ISP? Do you have a fixed or dynamic IP?
Old 16th May 2017, 19:49   #1498
Distinguished - BHPian

Just got a new 100 MBPS internet line (Fiber) for my folks, and they have this Sony TV that can get connected to the router.

Our existing router: https://www.speedguide.net/routers/b...s-g-router-315

2009!

What would you guys suggest for today's 100 MBPS line? Trying to load the internet through the TV is excruciating. Speedtest of my line shows 20mbps tops.
Old 16th May 2017, 19:58   #1499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Just got a new 100 MBPS internet line (Fiber) for my folks, and they have this Sony TV that can get connected to the router.

Our existing router: https://www.speedguide.net/routers/b...s-g-router-315

2009!

What would you guys suggest for today's 100 MBPS line? Trying to load the internet through the TV is excruciating. Speedtest of my line shows 20mbps tops.
Well, your router has a 10/100 Base-TX WAN port so theoretically it should be compatible with your 100 Mbps Internet link. Your problem is probably its Wifi limitation of 802.11g which in practice, hardly ever goes beyond 20 Mbps (which matches with what you report).

Having said that, 8 Mbps is ample to watch Netflix etc. on Full HD in my experience.

Look for routers with 802.11ac support. But are all Wifi devices in your household capable of that?
Old 16th May 2017, 20:01   #1500
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Well, your router has a 10/100 Base-TX WAN port so theoretically it should be compatible with your 100 Mbps Internet link. Your problem is probably its Wifi limitation of 802.11g which in practice, hardly ever goes beyond 20 Mbps (which matches with what you report).

Having said that, 8 Mbps is ample to watch Netflix etc. on Full HD in my experience.

Look for routers with 802.11ac support. But are all Wifi devices in your household capable of that?
Isnt Full HD on a 50+ inch television a different ball game altogether (pixel density vs laptop screens)? Or am I missing something here?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks