Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2012, 17:54   #151
BHPian

Re: The Netbook Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
Lenovo is introducing the Thinkpad x130e soon - you will have a choice between an AMD E-450 and an Intel Core i3, so you may have a 11" display but can choose to have the same power as a regular laptop but with much more battery time (display panels are a power hog).
I hope they launch it at the same time in India. Lenovo really needs to look at online retailing of its Thinkpads. Flipkart stores only one model. I refuse to believe that these get sold out.
Old 3rd January 2012, 18:20   #152
BHPian

manolin,

I hope Lenovo works out a way to get their Thinkpads into stores in India. It's much more convenient to drive a friend or a relative to Croma Retail than it is to order online and wait a week when he/she has a sudden whim to buy a new computer.

In the UAE, I often find the latest of the Thinkpads in stores about a month or so after their U.S. launch but they often have different specs. Remember the touch-screen Thinkpad T-series laptops? I could never find those in UAE so I looked at an Ideapad S10-3T, out of curiosity, and the store attendant was more than happy to show me an HP laptop with a touchscreen and a Core i3 processor - it had exactly what I wanted, but it wasn't a Thinkpad (I've always had the Thinkpads last long enough to get obsolete so I always insist on a Thinkpad though I would settle for a Panasonic Toughbook if it were available at the same price).
Old 3rd January 2012, 18:27   #153
Team-BHP Support

Not sure if every one is aware. Dell closed the Inspiron Mini series.

Dell Inspiron Mini Series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 3rd January 2012, 18:31   #154
Senior - BHPian

Mini Review of a Mini Laptop (Netbook):

Tech Specs: HP Pavilion dm1-4010us

CPU - 1.66GHz AMD Dual-Core E-450 Accelerated Processor
Operating System - Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
RAM - 4GB
Hard Drive Size - 320GB, 7,200rpm drive
Display Size - 11.6 inch
Native Resolution - 1366x768
Graphics Card - AMD Radeon HD 6320 Discrete-Class Graphics
Ports - 3 USB ports; Gigabit Ethernet; HDMI; Headphone; Kensington Lock; Microphone; VGA; 2 in 1 card reader
Size - 11.5 x 8.5 x 0.8- 1.3 inches
Weight - 1.54 kgs

Since the time i got used to netbooks with the first Samsung 10.2 incher, i was hooked onto them for their ease of use and light weight. I dont use it for any heavy duty work and hence they suffice in its entirety without the need for a full blown laptop or desktop.

My sis-in-law, coming from US got me the HP DM1 model with the above specs. Boy it is a power house performer when it comes to the clarity and graphics during a movie or when viewing a pic. Avataar HD was crystal clear and so sharp that i was amazed one more time when watching the movie with its stunning visuals. Screen is glossy and reflects in bright outdoor conditions. Else for home use there is no issue and does not create a bother at all.

Sound quality from the speakers is so-so but they do a good job for a laptop this size. So far i have not faced any heating issues in the last 1 month of ownership. I have seldom used it on my lap and never felt the need to put it down even after 50 mins of continuous usage.

Multitasking is quite fast and i can open multiple windows and not be bogged down by a slow processor or low memory. Boots up pretty fast and shut down is quicker than boot up.

Battery back up is good. Lasts around 3hours during movie play back. Light work and screen brightness set to half the way, it has lasted 4hours 50minutes on one occasion. Never had the chance to test it after that in a real world scenario. In comparison the little Samsung with Atom processor easily lasts around 3.5hours during movie playback and a marathon 6.5hours during normal usage and screen brightness at minimum (have not tested it at half way mark so far). Could be due to the bigger and higher resolution screen of the HP which is eating the battery back up. But no complaints given the quality of the display is so good.

Mighty impressed and very happy owning this little power house of a netbook.
Old 5th January 2012, 20:37   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Could be due to the bigger and higher resolution screen of the HP which is eating the battery back up.
The AMD E-450 processor is the best you can get in a netbook but they do use more power than the Intel Atom processors. Also, AMD does not limit manufacturers to use small screen sizes for the AMD E-450, unlike Intel which requires netbooks equipped with an Intel Atom to have a screen below a certain size to avoid cannibalizing the sales of the Intel Core ix series laptops).

The average user does not require anything more than an AMD E-450 and there is a difference of Rs.4-6k between a laptop with a Core i3 and a netbook (Rs.28k) with an AMD E-450 (Rs.22k) with all other components being the same (Sony Vaio sells two identical computers with the only difference being the processor).
Old 5th December 2012, 13:04   #156
BHPian

Since I am reviving this thread after almost 1 year, indicates that netbooks have lost the market to tablets. But , I am still looking for a netbook as my usage is basically surfing,working on excel, viewing photos and other mundane stuff. Hardly watch movies or play games.
So whats the best bet. I have a budget of around 20k.
Old 5th December 2012, 14:39   #157
BANNED

I have decided to buy the lenovo x230 with IPS screen as my travel photography laptop. Any idea which is the best place to buy it from in Bangalore?

Thanks
--R

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks