Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2010, 22:37   #46
Team-BHP Support

If the idea is to travel and take this along, netbooks are the best. Screensize is stabilizing around 10.1 with 100% keyboards.
ACER Aspire one is doing very good. Dell Inspiron is also good. Pointing these two, more from a service point of view.
Both are VFM. Choose between them based on features.

Now coming to OS: XP has been phased out. No development happening on Xp. New ones are coming with W-7.
If the idea is to only to browse and download, better load Ubuntu netbook version or some other linux distro.
Old 20th July 2010, 22:41   #47
Senior - BHPian

Since budget is 20k or lower.
i will recommend Samsung. It has great discount offer. and cheapes one is available for 15k.

Dell for about 19k. Best part you will have on site service. even motherboard are changed (no question asked.) right at you place.
Old 20th July 2010, 23:20   #48
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Most of the laptop brands are made by the same manufacturers with common components, so it doesn't matter really which brand you buy. Google Quanta & Compal of Taiwan & you will get a good idea of what it is.

Whichever brand you buy, ensure you have the additional warranty of 2 years. (Total 3 yrs ) With laptops, you never know when power spikes effect the motherboard & other components. Failures come without warning.

Netbooks are particularly sensitive to variations in power & rough handling.

Last edited by nirmaljusdoit : 20th July 2010 at 23:29.
Old 21st July 2010, 00:26   #49
Senior - BHPian

I recently bought an Acer Aspire One D260 with 1 GB RAM, XP @ 16300/-. Light weight and superb battery backup.

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 21st July 2010, 06:14   #50
BHPian

I got VAIO M series - This is good

Got mine a month back. This is VAIO M series - VPCM126AG
This is India Specific model newly launched.

N470 - 1.83 Ghz
2 GB DDR2
320 GB HDD - 5400rpm
Vaio display
3 USB
Wi-fi
Blue tooth
SD slot
Memory Pro slot
Webcam
Built in speaker and mic
Battery on paper 3.5 hrs - how ever I see that it easily touches 5 hrs with optimum setting
this comes with win 7 starter

I got mine from Vijay sales - Navi Mumbai

MRP - 22900 / -

Bargained like dog - 21400/- buying price and got Vaio pouch free

I bought blue colour..looks cool

Reason for selecting vaio - fit and finish top notch, I was about to buy acer aspir 1, how ever to me it look to plasticy

Dell did not like the track pad

Config of vaio was better amoungst the lot
Old 21st July 2010, 09:13   #51
BHPian

Netbooks Comparo

Check out the below link:

Top 5 Small Screen Netbooks < Best Netbooks with latest features, specifications, prices and comparison < PC World Top 5 < PC World.in

Note from Mod: PLease do not cut and paste code, formats etc

Last edited by ajmat : 21st July 2010 at 10:20.
Old 21st July 2010, 12:18   #52
Senior - BHPian

Got myself a HP Mini 210 with Win 7, 1 GB RAM and N450 for 17K. It came with Blue tooth, wifi and a 160 GB HDD. I love the form factor and its really portable. I really dont miss my PC at all and all the daily productive software, movies, music and basic image editing work flawlessly. Highly recommended.
Old 21st July 2010, 12:27   #53
BHPian

MSI netbooks are good. Firebird is it 3 cell or 6 cell battery?
Old 21st July 2010, 13:12   #54
BHPian

MSI and Asus are OEM manufacturers and thats the only reason I will be willing to put my money on their product. Looks are something people would go in for and put in extra money but I would look at practicality. Why spend more if you get all of it at a lower price point and backed up with great after sales support.
Old 21st July 2010, 13:16   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
If money is not that critical then how about a small Notebook with say 13" screen and no DVD. These are under or around 1.2kg! I was thinking of a netbook last year but ended up buying an Acer 3810T.
Rightly said . have a look at this

MSI Global ? Computer, Laptop, Notebook, Desktop, Mainboard, Graphics and more

great looks, light weight and at a very good price point.
Old 21st July 2010, 13:54   #56
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for your valuable suggestions guys!

Im leaning towards Asus, Acer and then Dell (in priority order). Just need to visit some reputed store to get a feel of keyboard and touchpad.

I dont know why but I cant get myself to like Samsung. It doesnt inspire that confidence in me.

Im thinking of getting a DOS version as I wish to install Ubuntu/Linux OS. I do have an original Win XP CD (from my laptop). Will that work on a Netbook, in case I wish to install XP in future?

Not too keen on Win 7 Starter edition. Read reviews that its quite stripped down.

Also, can users comment on the power consumption and heat generation of Netbooks? I wish to use them as download rig, so it might be on for a long period of time (maybe 8-10 hrs at a strech, daily!).

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 21st July 2010 at 13:56.
Old 21st July 2010, 20:15   #57
BHPian

Got my Lenovo S10-3s (note the 's') yesterday. Everything is simply superb. The only problem was the availability. According to my dealer, mine was the first model to be delivered in central Mumbai and Thane areas at least. Paid a total of 22100 including everything. It comes with Intel Atom N475 processor, 2 GB Ram, 250 GB harddisk and Windows 7 Starter edition. Upgraded to Ultimate edition using anytime upgrade option.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
Old 22nd July 2010, 01:13   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvishwanathan View Post
MSI and Asus are OEM manufacturers and thats the only reason I will be willing to put my money on their product. Looks are something people would go in for and put in extra money but I would look at practicality. Why spend more if you get all of it at a lower price point and backed up with great after sales support.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvishwanathan View Post
Rightly said . have a look at this

MSI Global ? Computer, Laptop, Notebook, Desktop, Mainboard, Graphics and more

great looks, light weight and at a very good price point.
Agreed, but what about after sales support? I had an MSI motherboard and when I called up their customer care to inquire about an optional add-on accessory mentioned in the manual, they had no clue. The rep asked me to mail a picture of the motherboard and the location where the add-on was supposed to be installed . Got no reply to my mail. Eventually I too gave up since the local computer shops also had no idea about it.
Old 22nd July 2010, 01:40   #59
BHPian

I would not recomend a netbook. I am now regrets by owing a netbook.
You will feel the difference when you give a copy/paste or a multi task.
IMHO, Atom processor is not enough sufficient to meet today's programs.Better to go for a i3 or i5 laptop with an additional expence of 8K
Old 22nd July 2010, 11:11   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonian View Post
I would not recomend a netbook. I am now regrets by owing a netbook.
You will feel the difference when you give a copy/paste or a multi task.
IMHO, Atom processor is not enough sufficient to meet today's programs.Better to go for a i3 or i5 laptop with an additional expence of 8K
I think the additional expense is not 8k but more like 15k+.

Secondly, battery life and weight (portability) are -ive for me when it comes to Notebooks. The latter is very difficult to lug along for road trips and it runs out of charge under 2 hours.

Please see my opening post. My usage for the netbook is casual browsing and downloading. For other heavy end stuff, I have an office laptop.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks