Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2011, 07:37   #91
Team-BHP Support

Re: Help :Choosing a Netbook?

Question: Do none of the Netbooks come with a dock? Is there not universal docking station available out there? The point is when sitting on a desk and working, one would like to use it as a standard desktop mode. (External Large Monitor, Keyboard and Mouse.) Its only when on travel, the power of mobility comes into play.

So can some help me on docking stations for Netbooks? That is a big decider for me to choose a Netbook.
Old 17th March 2011, 08:03   #92
BHPian

You may not invest in docking station. Every Netbook would have VGA/HDMI out to connect external Monitor/Projector and you can use wire or wireless Keyboard/mouse. I guess thats all is required to work.
Old 17th March 2011, 21:38   #93
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
You may not invest in docking station. Every Netbook would have VGA/HDMI out to connect external Monitor/Projector and you can use wire or wireless Keyboard/mouse. I guess thats all is required to work.
That is the issue. You dont want to keep connecting display, keyboard, mouse cables all the time. Its good to insert the machine to a docking station, where rest of the setup is already done.
Old 17th March 2011, 21:44   #94
Team-BHP Support

@ampere slightly off topic, but for long battery life it is recommended to let the battery drain and then charge it rather than keeping it on a always connected state. This becomes important when using a docking station as it would be with power cord connected and with mains on.
Old 18th March 2011, 17:31   #95
BHPian

Not quiet true. Many netbooks/laptops now have battery charging applications which makes sure that charging stops at ard ~95% hence saving battery life.

I use my laptop with docking station in office everyday and hasnt seen battery life degrade over 7-8 months.
Old 18th March 2011, 20:39   #96
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
@ampere slightly off topic, but for long battery life it is recommended to let the battery drain and then charge it rather than keeping it on a always connected state. This becomes important when using a docking station as it would be with power cord connected and with mains on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
Not quiet true. Many netbooks/laptops now have battery charging applications which makes sure that charging stops at ard ~95% hence saving battery life.

I use my laptop with docking station in office everyday and hasnt seen battery life degrade over 7-8 months.
@bblost
I am not sure of that either, but yes even I keep it on the docking station all the time in the office. (Yes one can argue, then why a laptop in that case? )
All I meant was, the ease of the setup and use. Connecting display and other USB cables every day would be a pain. Once that setup is made permanent, it becomes very easy.

(Yes at the same, netbook also brings its utility of extreme mobility when needed).

I have the same setup at home as well, where I just go home and put the laptop on the home docking station and I am on.
(In one way, it has reduced the wear and tear of the laptop.) But strangely I have not seen docking stations being sold for netbooks.
May be they are not meant to be used that way.

EDIT: Another question is why netbooks have rounded off to 10.1 display only and not 11 or 12?

Last edited by ampere : 18th March 2011 at 20:44.
Old 18th March 2011, 22:07   #97
BHPian

Netbooks with 11 and 12 are available. However 10.1 is sold max due to its more mobile and power efficient.

Plus product manufacturers want NOT to cannibalize different markets by giving larger screen with lite processor. Product lines Like Netbooks, Ultramobile Laptops, Laptops.
Old 18th March 2011, 23:20   #98
BHPian

Re: Help :Choosing a Netbook?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Thanks guys. Getting the Samsung JP150

N150-JP05 Netbook | Samsung NP-N150-JP01

Will upgrade to 2GB later.My Acer has 2GB but it will be DDR2 and hence cant swap.
Hey, if you havent yet purchased the netbook, check the new sony viao with AMD E350 (YB15 or something).. It is 12 inches, but seems just perfect for the job of a netbook.
Old 19th March 2011, 05:22   #99
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
Hey, if you havent yet purchased the netbook, check the new sony viao with AMD E350 (YB15 or something).. It is 12 inches, but seems just perfect for the job of a netbook.
This also looks like much better option. Bigger display and faster cpu, but smaller a regular 13 inch.
Old 19th March 2011, 06:25   #100

I wouldn't suggest a netbook for work.
The advantages of ultralight and portability are overweighed with concerns of speed and processor capacity. Lack of sufficient ports, undersized keyboard for long hours of typing, smallish screen are irritants.
Today the trend of netbooks because of their limited functionality is dropping and is being replaced with tablets which I agree have even more limited functionality but excel in what they are designed for - Portability, Batterly life and the Internet.
I would suggest that you buy a regular notebook for work or a tablet for fun.
a.sundaram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2011, 09:38   #101
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.sundaram View Post
I wouldn't suggest a netbook for work.
The advantages of ultralight and portability are overweighed with concerns of speed and processor capacity. Lack of sufficient ports, undersized keyboard for long hours of typing, smallish screen are irritants.
Today the trend of netbooks because of their limited functionality is dropping and is being replaced with tablets which I agree have even more limited functionality but excel in what they are designed for - Portability, Batterly life and the Internet.
I would suggest that you buy a regular notebook for work or a tablet for fun.
The idea was not for work, but a mix of travel and some thing faster than netbooks. 13 inch notebooks was the nearest, but they are heavier. 12 inch fits the bill perfectly. The usage is typically browse, video chat and some microsoft office edit on the go.
Old 19th March 2011, 17:27   #102
Senior - BHPian

Ampere; check out the Dell AMD Neo series. Get the loaded one!

The Samsung is easier to user thanks to the bigger keyboard. Screen resolution is definitely better than Acer One I have and the S10-3C ( even the keyboard! ).
Old 31st March 2011, 21:18   #103
Senior - BHPian

The pink netbook with Dual Core Atoms @ 17k
Attached Thumbnails
The Netbook Thread.-wdsc_0688-medium.jpg  

The Netbook Thread.-wdsc_0685-medium.jpg  

Old 31st March 2011, 22:47   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
The pink netbook with Dual Core Atoms @ 17k
Please add some spec details......

and Why Pink?

Thanks.
Old 1st April 2011, 23:51   #105
BHPian

I got a Dell Inspiron netbook delivered today. Booked on 24th Mar. I went through this thread and several other sources which helped me in narrowing down the choices based on configurations and needs. Finally it was call between Sony Vaio and Dell. Specs are almost same but sony looks stunning, will at once make you open your wallet. The price difference was almost 5k between them which was too much to ignore for me. My Dell specs are -
11.6" (should be a little comfortable for prolong use than a 10 incher)
1366x768 px (must have, good real estate here)
AMD processor,
2gb RAM (must have)
250 GB Hdd (whatever figure you put here will be less)
1.3mp camera (good to have)
Win7 starter
3 USB port, HDMI port, 6cell battery (should give 5 hour backup, not tested)

it cost me 22.3k
sorry for extremely poor quality mobile pics
Attached Thumbnails
The Netbook Thread.-image309.jpg  

The Netbook Thread.-image310.jpg  

The Netbook Thread.-image311.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks