Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2009, 16:35   #1
Senior - BHPian

Help :Choosing a Netbook?

Guys I am looking out for a Netbook for my wife. She basically works out of home with limited travel. By the way we already have a desktop at home.

She has to work on web based tool like Citrix & do some net surfing and some basic MS word & excel use. Her specific requirement is that it should be portable, lightweight & Wifi enabled.

I have heard that Netbooks are not that great in terms of performance.

Guys can you share your experiences (Pros & Cons) of a netbook so that I don't have to unnecessarily invest in a regular lap top
My budget is approx INR 20k.

Mods: I searched for netbooks but could not find, if thread exists pls merge.

Last edited by aah78 : 9th June 2011 at 20:13. Reason: Thread title edited.
Old 2nd September 2009, 16:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

Try to evaluate a second hand notebook or a desktop. You will get better performance at a lower price.
Old 2nd September 2009, 17:04   #3
BHPian

Hi ,

Right now configuration wise all the net books are approximately the same . i have been using Lenovo S-10 model aorund 7 months now with zero defects , before buyin i did my own research into the same . Lenovo is much better in terms pf product sturdiness and warranty issuse.
They have a new one S-10-2 which is much better and comes with 6 cell battery overall a good buy.

If buying from croma ask them for a extended warranty for 2 years and u are all set.

IF in case u know some one that works for Tata Group u get an additional 2.5% discount.
Old 2nd September 2009, 17:07   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
She has to work on web based tool like Citrix & do some net surfing and some basic MS word & excel use. Her specific requirement is that it should be portable, lightweight & Wifi enabled.

i have been using it for the same purposes and found it adequate, mine is loaded with 2007 office and it works fine no issues at all .
Old 2nd September 2009, 17:10   #5
BANNED

Now you can expect the Atom to be replaced by the newer ULV Core Solo from Intel. It is no contest performance wise. Only the cost issue remains. Microsoft support only current and -1 version of windows. So will XP become orphaned!
Old 2nd September 2009, 17:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

More or less all the netbooks have same configuration and sturdiness. However, Asus and Samsung takes the cake of being leader in this field undoubtedly.

Do opt for larger cell battery to get maximum backup time.
Old 2nd September 2009, 18:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek_rait View Post
Hi ,

Right now configuration wise all the net books are approximately the same . i have been using Lenovo S-10 model aorund 7 months now with zero defects , before buyin i did my own research into the same . Lenovo is much better in terms pf product sturdiness and warranty issuse.
They have a new one S-10-2 which is much better and comes with 6 cell battery overall a good buy.

If buying from croma ask them for a extended warranty for 2 years and u are all set.

IF in case u know some one that works for Tata Group u get an additional 2.5% discount.
Thanks, I heard that Nokia is also coming up with its Netbook. Is it worth waiting any clue.
Old 2nd September 2009, 18:26   #8
BHPian

I agree with Abhishek. I'm also looking for a netbook for my sister and many people who are using lenovo suggest that I go for a S10, but make sure the model has atleast 1 GB or RAM. It's quite adequate for web surfing.

Quote:
But If you are planning to use it for work, I suggest you add a decent sized keyboard to your requirement list. Especially if a person is used to touch/blind typing, they may have trouble alternating between some netbook keyboards and normal keyboards. So I suggest that your wife try out few netbooks at the store for convenience and then decide.
Old 2nd September 2009, 22:49   #9
Senior - BHPian

Go for lenovo S10-2. you will not regret it.

also check samsung. they have free usb slim drive free on offer in NP, delhi
Old 3rd September 2009, 12:03   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Go for lenovo S10-2. you will not regret it.

also check samsung. they have free usb slim drive free on offer in NP, delhi
Thanks for your input on lenovo S10-2, will try to check it out in the market. Any clue about the prices ?
Old 3rd September 2009, 12:08   #11
BANNED

Last checked, pre-loaded OS on these Netbooks was Windows XP Home.
Can the users upgrade to Windows 7? Will the Netbook work fine with Windows 7?
Old 3rd September 2009, 15:51   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your input on lenovo S10-2, will try to check it out in the market. Any clue about the prices ?
i bought a month ago little over 21k. now the price may have gone down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Last checked, pre-loaded OS on these Netbooks was Windows XP Home.
Can the users upgrade to Windows 7? Will the Netbook work fine with Windows 7?
yeah have installed in one of them.
Old 3rd September 2009, 16:09   #13
Senior - BHPian

Bought an Acer PowerOne for wife. No issues till now but it doesnt come with a XP CD and recovery can be an issue unless you have backed up stuff to a DVD using on board software. I have used this for 5plus hours on battery.

Our company bought couple of S10-2; felt its keyboard to be better and so with built quality.

Have read that 2GB helps. Would suggest only XP.
Old 3rd September 2009, 16:43   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
More or less all the netbooks have same configuration and sturdiness. However, Asus and Samsung takes the cake of being leader in this field undoubtedly.

Do opt for larger cell battery to get maximum backup time.
I second that, Samsung NC10 is the best of the lot.

I bought a HP mini for myself - it looked good, and really tiny compared to my lappy, but hardly ever use it. My Touch HD, or earlier Palm Treo was good enough for mails/web surfing and that was what I bought the netbook for :-(

\N
Old 3rd September 2009, 16:46   #15
BHPian

2Gb definitely helps. Have that on my sisters Asus 1005HA. Pretty nice with good backup too.

Most Viewed