Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2009, 15:10   #1
Team-BHP Support

using 2 internet connections for different tasks?

hey guys, i have 2 internet connections. one is mtnl adsl and the other is a photon. now is it possible to use one connection to download torrents and the other for browsing without the 2 different tasks eating into the other connections bandwidth?

if it is possible can someone explain how it is to be done?
Old 6th September 2009, 16:52   #2
BHPian

I think what you are asking is possible. A tad difficult in windows though. I can not give you how to exactly do it. But show you the way. You can make use of Google and your time and effort.

First is through IP routing. Technically, what you are looking for is called multihoming. There is another thread asking similar question in Team-BHP. But yours is a little more defined and hence IP routing could be the answer. Try to find the settings needed. I think you can divert a few ports to go through a particular network interface. You can perhaps make use of your firewall software as well. A little research is required.

Second way is through Virtual Machines. Use Microsoft VPC, VMware or Sun's software to install a OS within your computer OS. And there after play around with settings to let one card work with the virtual machine and the other one with real machine.

Third way is through linux. I believe that a couple of line in the routing configuration can do the needful. If you are comfortable with linux, that would be easiest.

Sorry mate, I can help you only this much right now due to paucity of time with me.
Old 6th September 2009, 17:03   #3

if you are talking about talking on a same pc then it's not possible.
you should read... the basic networking rules..
Old 6th September 2009, 17:20   #4
BANNED

Same thing discussed here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...nnections.html

The only difference is that in your case one is a Wireless connection.
Old 6th September 2009, 18:47   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indie View Post
if you are talking about talking on a same pc then it's not possible.
you should read... the basic networking rules..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Same thing discussed here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...nnections.html

The only difference is that in your case one is a Wireless connection.
Should not say 'its not possible'. Possible it sure is. Specially in this case where he has his requirements clearly cut out. He is not looking to 'increase' his speed by combining the two. Need is to just use one connection for a particular thing and the other for something else. How is it going to work, theoritcaly, is:-

For torrents, you nominate a particular port (lets say 5678). In the routing table or in the firewall, configure any traffic meant for 5678 to one particular network interface while the default route remains the other one.

Similarly, if you want to direct all web traffic to a particular network interface, then direct port number 80 and 443 to that interface and let the other be as default.

As I said before, it is easier to do in Linux than in windows.
Old 6th September 2009, 19:30   #6
BHPian

cpyder is right. The term you want to research is multihoming. I had your same situation Akshay, with an Airtel DSL and BSNL EVDO.
I was advised to read up on the "route" command in Win XP. (type route in command-prompt)
It is a bit complicated, but from what little I understood, you can make connections/routes to certain sites go via one ISP. I didnt research further cos I only use the BSNL EVDO while travelling, and so abandoned my plans for multihoming.

Some links from Google
Multi-Homing - Can A Home Network Share Two Internet Connections?
Link 1
Link 2

I too suspect it would be easier to implement in Linux.

Last edited by srijit : 6th September 2009 at 19:31.
Old 6th September 2009, 20:19   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpyder View Post
Should not say 'its not possible'. Possible it sure is. Specially in this case where he has his requirements clearly cut out. He is not looking to 'increase' his speed by combining the two. Need is to just use one connection for a particular thing and the other for something else. How is it going to work, theoritcaly, is:-

For torrents, you nominate a particular port (lets say 5678). In the routing table or in the firewall, configure any traffic meant for 5678 to one particular network interface while the default route remains the other one.

Similarly, if you want to direct all web traffic to a particular network interface, then direct port number 80 and 443 to that interface and let the other be as default.

As I said before, it is easier to do in Linux than in windows.
linux has the possiblity to carry out these things.. but on windows its very vague.. if u try two connectiosn say adsl or wireless..

windows take one at a time n then as soon as one is lost its switches to other automatically...

u need to learn thread programming instead.. then its very much possible
Old 6th September 2009, 20:29   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

It's easy to route connections to known IP addresses and the answer is, as srijit says, the route command.

This will be pretty much the same whether you are using Linux or Windows --- just I do not know how do do a "static" route in windows, except probably add a batch file of route commands as part of the startup.

Remember, the gateway that you set up on your TCP/IP configuration is only the default gateway (or default "route"). You are not tied to sending all traffic via this address.
Old 6th September 2009, 20:52   #9
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

It's easy to do with Windows 7's firewall. Create 2 new outbound rules based on the application (say, utorrent). Then, go to its properties and from the Advanced tab, use the Interface types dialog. So select the first rule, set it as block, go to advanced > interface types > select the type of interface Photon is classified as. Now go to the second rule, set it to allow, go to advanced > interface types > your ADSL connection.
Old 4th January 2011, 18:17   #10
Senior - BHPian

Re: Torrents

Am new to the world of torrents. I am using bit-torrent 7.2 to download movies, songs etc.,

I just would like to know if my personal files like pix, docs, music etc., gets shared with the outside world when i use this software?

Could you please tell me what kind of my files get shared with others and the ways to stop/ restrict them?

Thanks!
Old 10th January 2011, 14:31   #11
BHPian

Re: using 2 internet connections for different tasks?

bit torrent protocol does not share files not associated with a .torrent file. Hence, you are only uploading (sharing) whatever .torrent files being shown in your bittorrent program. Other folders, files etc are not shared automatically.

If you had to share a folder etc, you have to explicitly create a .torrent file, upload it to a tracker and then seed (make it actively available on internet) it.

CAUTION: That is what bittorrent protocol is supposed to do. If you use a rogue torrent client, or infected one, they can pretty much do a lot of damage. Hence stick to well known clients like bit-torrent (which you are using), utorrent or other open source ones. Download these clients from thier parent sites and not from other questionable sites.

P.S.: Most of the torrent traffic is for illegal purposes. Try and refrain from infringing on copyrights etc.

Most Viewed