Team-BHP - Beware of Tata Wimax Antenna theft
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   Beware of Tata Wimax Antenna theft (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/65056-beware-tata-wimax-antenna-theft.html)

I was using Tata Indicom Broadband for the past 2 years (of which 1 year wired and 1 year Wimax). On Saturday, September 5th at around 11.30AM, my internet connection got disconnected and while troubleshooting I discovered that my Wimax antenna (aka SS) was missing from my terrace. There was 2 Wimax connections in the apartment (2nd connection belongs to my friend who stays in second floor) and both the antenna was missing.

I filed a complaint with customer service and they asked me to come to their office at Residency Road. Both of us went to the office and customer service representative asked us to pay Rs 7000 each device. They told if we dont pay, they will take legal action against us. I made it clear that I am not going to pay anything and do not wish to continue their service. I also filed an FIR with RT Nagar police station.

I did some research and found that ours were not the only cases and this has been happening in Bangalore for sometime. Check the following links for more such stories.

TATA Indicom Complaints - Missing antenna
Tata indicom cheated us. Please give some idea what to do next?
TATA WiMax antenna stolen

I talked to some of my contacts in Tata Indicom and I found that they use recovery agents to forcefully seize these antenna from subscribers who are inactive for more than a month and also subscribers who have pending dues. Quite often, they seize antenna from wrong houses. Unfortunately Tata Indicom being a very very customer friendly organization do not even care to return back the seized devices and instead threatens the customers about legal action and makes them pay Rs 7000.

I have sent them an email asking the following:
1) Why should I be paying the amount when I have nothing to do with it?
2) If the antenna really costed 10000, then is it not their responsibility to let the customers be aware of this fact?
3) Why didn't they insure the same if it is that costly?
4) Why don't they make sure the antenna is fixed firmly and not just by a nut n bolt?

Please be aware that the clause for collecting Rs7000 is already there in the terms and conditions of Tata Indicom.
Tata Indicom Broadband

4.d: In case the CPE is damaged/ stolen then the customer agrees to pay Rs.700/- towards the wireline CPE and Rs.7000/- towards the wireless CPE to TCISL. In case of theft of Ethernet Cable, customer agrees to pay Rs.200 towards replacement charges.

In my FIR I clearly mentioned the suspects as Tata Indicom recovery agents. All Tata Wimax subscribers of TBHP, please be aware of this fraud and make sure that you dont lose your Wimax Antenna to end up paying Rs 7000. Also if anyone has already faced this issue, they can shed some light on that.

Regards,
SF

This is absolutely shocking! I have been a Tata Indicom subscriber since Feb 2004 when they launched their service and was planning to get this Wi-Max connection but, after what you have said, I am begining to think twice. :Frustrati

OMG!... i was about to pay 12 month advance rental! Which would have given me 4 months free.

But if something like this happens! I'll lose both money and connection!

I'd rather pay monthly, will let the 33% return on money go by :(.

Agreed, the antena is too easy to steal.

BTW, if this thing costs 10k, Tata is foolish to use this in the first place! The photon+ modem is cheaper and as fast and more flexible! [as it can be put even inside the house!]

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holyghost (Post 1472390)
4) Why don't they make sure the antenna is fixed firmly and not just by a nut n bolt?

One suggestion - spot weld the nut in place after they have finished installation! :D:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by kb100 (Post 1472954)
One suggestion - spot weld the nut in place after they have finished installation! :D:)

A very good suggestion indeed. Those who find it difficult to get hold of a welding machine can use "M-Seal". Seal the nut along with the thread of the bolt. It really works.

Unfortunately it is too late for me. :deadhorse