Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2006, 13:43   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson
guys how much for a 21' plasma for a bedroom. any suggestions on brands/models?
Not sure if you get plasma's at those smaller sizes. Try LCDs. You could go for a 20" LCD. LG/Samsung probably costs around 40K. Sony Bravia has a 23" model too ... which is 50K +
Old 12th July 2006, 14:31   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Got a Hitachi plasma for our living room last year...paid around 2.25 lakhs odd. Settled on Hitachi after alooot of research as it had the highest resolution at that point. The plasma has been working flawlessly......looks really cool and has the swivel function where in the entire tv rotates on its stand left to right through the touch of a button on your remote.
Old 12th July 2006, 14:55   #33
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: Threads merged.
Old 13th July 2006, 09:22   #34
BHPian

We just bought an M5 Series Samsung 40 Inch LCD(with bill/warranty)..it's really good..
Plasmas also tend to heat up a bit,and so,I would always prefer LCD.
Samsung claims their LCD TV life is 60,000 hours.
Dude-once you get Plasma or LCD screen,to get the best out of it,I would suggest you get Digital Cable at your place(by fitting in a set-top box),or then get Satellite Dish TV subscription..
I have just applied for Satellite Dish subscription(you can apply as individual..not mandatory for entire building/society to apply together)..
-sr
Old 13th July 2006, 10:48   #35
Senior - BHPian

Even we are on the look out for a new tv but i'm not all that impressed with plasma.

The Problem with plasma is that the colours don't merge properly. The transformation from red to yellow for example, needs to have orange in between but the orange doesn't look like orange, it looks like yellow dots/pixels mixed with red dots/pixels.

I played the same vid on a normal tv and the orange looked smooth.

Not sure if plasma really gives you an advantage.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 13th July 2006 at 10:55.
Old 13th July 2006, 10:59   #36
Team-BHP Support

For outright picture quality, plasma's or LCD's cannot compete with the good ol' CRT. Thats a proven fact for consumer plasma's and LCD's. However, I still love the slim, wall mountable stuff!
Old 13th July 2006, 11:10   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For outright picture quality, plasma's or LCD's cannot compete with the good ol' CRT. Thats a proven fact for consumer plasma's and LCD's. However, I still love the slim, wall mountable stuff!
Another reason could be that the 50" Sony Plasma i saw, had a "minimum distance" recomendation of 8 ft. I was sitting 4 ft from it. Damn these showrooms, they're so small.

Shan2nu
Old 13th July 2006, 13:11   #38
BHPian

@sarsania

"We just bought an M5 Series Samsung 40 Inch LCD(with bill/warranty)..it's really good."

Did you buy it in India? what is the price tag?

thanks
Old 13th July 2006, 14:51   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
For outright picture quality, plasma's or LCD's cannot compete with the good ol' CRT. Thats a proven fact for consumer plasma's and LCD's.
Would you have any links/writeups on this in more detail ? I'd love to read about it.
Old 13th July 2006, 15:14   #40
Team-BHP Support

I got that from watching a tech. show on TV. Also you notice the images are much sharper and clearer on CRT's than Plasma's. So is the refresh rate.

Anyways, this topic is about Plasma's and LCD's. Here are a few interesting reads before anyone decides which one is better for them:

Plasma vs LCD

CRT's vs LCD's

Another Plasma vs LCD

Another LCD vs CRT!!
Old 19th July 2006, 14:33   #41
BHPian

CRT's are still the best medium for watching video.... even thogh plasmas/lcd'd maybe sleek..awesoemlookng etc... picture quality and screen resolution on CRT still rocks... I just got the SONY 34 inch WEGA for 50K..and connected a DVD throgh Component cables..and believe Indiana Jones or starwars was never better.... a DRC WEGA would have rocked even more .but was too exp...
Old 19th July 2006, 15:45   #42
Senior - BHPian

If somebody is selling you a Sony Plasma TV, watchout....Sony stopped making them long back. They are manufacturing only LCD flat tv these days.

BTW, are there any CRT TVs with widescreen diplay (16x9)?
Old 19th July 2006, 16:16   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk456
CRT's are still the best medium for watching video.... even thogh plasmas/lcd'd maybe sleek..awesoemlookng etc... picture quality and screen resolution on CRT still rocks... I just got the SONY 34 inch WEGA for 50K..and connected a DVD throgh Component cables..and believe Indiana Jones or starwars was never better.... a DRC WEGA would have rocked even more .but was too exp...
How much does the 100Hz DRC 29" Wega cost ?
What is the resolution of your set ?
Old 19th July 2006, 16:32   #44
BHPian

I think a 29 inch DRC is for 60K+ if I am ot msitaken ( might be less )... what I was wanting was a 34 inch DRC..which was close to 80K+... so was beyond my budget.... so 50 K was a steal I felt for a 34 inch WEGA..( I have no idea abt the specs and screen resoltuin numbers ) . The same TV used to retail for above a lakh of rupees last year....
Old 19th July 2006, 17:19   #45
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Its a fact that conventional TVs are far superior to LCDs and Plasmas in quality. I can vouch for that as a recent LCD buyer.

The reason for buying an LCD / Plasma is space-saving (and well, cool ness for others). There is no ways a 32 inch conventional tv would fit in my bed room.

GTO

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks