Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2011, 19:44   #2776
Senior - BHPian

re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Remember, I am talking purely from the mobile processor viewpoint. I have no idea about desktop processors, but then this is the laptop thread
I did miss this point. But yes, AMD is sheer value.

AMD's new ultra mobile pc cpu's have just entered the market such as the Neo, K series and V series. Again exceptional value. Not very power efficient though.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 11th January 2011 at 19:49.
Old 12th January 2011, 11:20   #2777
BHPian

There's a g73jw xr1 model, it's available for around 1350$ because it doesn't come with the backpack or mouse. Have you heard anything bad about it?
Old 12th January 2011, 18:52   #2778
BHPian

G73SW-A1 just released on xotic for $1792 ASUS G73SW-A1 - XOTIC PC - ASUS Gaming Laptop ROG

is sandybridge that cheap?

Last edited by di1in : 12th January 2011 at 18:53.
Old 12th January 2011, 21:35   #2779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in View Post
is sandybridge that cheap?
The i7-740QM upgrade over the i5-4xx costs $300 alone. You have to have a reasonable pricing strategy if you have to sell components. They couldn't go more overboard.
Old 12th January 2011, 22:03   #2780
BHPian

Does anyone know where i could info on customs rates for laptops while shipping? I tried their website but couldnt find it in there. They mostly talk about baggage rules.

And how are the prices in the uae/dubai and kuwait? is it worth buying from there?

Last edited by di1in : 12th January 2011 at 22:07.
Old 13th January 2011, 15:03   #2781
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does anyone know where i could info on customs rates for laptops while shipping? I tried their website but couldnt find it in there. They mostly talk about baggage rules.

And how are the prices in the uae/dubai and kuwait? is it worth buying from there?
Here is the baggage rules BAGGAGE RULES
Laptops are in Annexure-III, also mentioned in DUTY FREE ALLOWANCES AND ENTITLEMENTS FOR INDIAN RESIDENTS AND FOREIGNERS RESIDING IN INDIA in Baggage Rules at a glance - CBEC

The list of customs duty was listed in B&H India site. If I remember correctly the rate was around 25.5%.
Old 14th January 2011, 18:28   #2782
BHPian

Is a hybrid drive really helpful on a system with 8gigs ram if i'm only concerned about battery life? All the necessary data would be on the RAM so the hybrids functionality would be reduced right.. or is there something more to it.
Old 14th January 2011, 22:28   #2783
BHPian

Quote:
Is a hybrid drive really helpful on a system with 8gigs ram if i'm only concerned about battery life? All the necessary data would be on the RAM so the hybrids functionality would be reduced right.. or is there something more to it.
Effect on battery life will be negative, but negligible. Idle power consumption : 1.3W compared to 0.8W for a conventional drive. Peak power consumption is ~0.2-0.3W higher.

The benefit of Hybrid HD is that it increases performance of permanent storage media. Your RAM doesn't store programs. So even if you install too much of RAM, you won't see corresponding speed increase because the RAM still has to fetch the data from the much slower hard disk.

You must have noticed that the performance increase in WinXP is quite high jumping from 128MB to 256MB, and not so much in future upgrades for general browsing. Of course, if you are using an app that needs RAM, you'll see performance increase. But performance is still limited by HDD.

What a hybrid drive does is store frequently accessed data on its 4GB Flash memory. This does not require any user intervention. So what happens is that the first time you open an application, like for the first time after a fresh install or anything, the performance isn't significant. It's even slower than some conventional hard disks.

But when you reopen the program, access times fall by ~40%. Third time, slight increase. Fourth time : slllliiiggghhhhtttt increase. Fifth time : Negligible increase.

It does give you a significant performance boost. Read the TomsHardware review below for all the benchmarks.

Conclusion : Momentus XT Review: Seagate's Marriage Of The HDD And Flash Memory

Last edited by anku94 : 14th January 2011 at 22:30.
Old 15th January 2011, 17:11   #2784
BHPian

Need some help guys.
I have a Dell Inspiron 8500 with a Radeon graphics card. The screen blanked out around a year ago.I had checked that the LCD was fine. So the conclusion was that the graphics card is fried.
Now as this is a weird graphics card, I have not been able to find it in Delhi. A few days back I came across a Dell community where owners of this system concluded that its the BIOS that has been fried and not the card.
Now the issue is that I have no display and need to flash the bios. The system also has no USB boot or Floppy Drive. Buying a new floppy drive costs around Rs 1500 and the problem still may not be solved.
So my question is, is there any other way to Flash the bios without buying the Dell internal floppy drive?
Thanks.
Old 15th January 2011, 23:57   #2785
Senior - BHPian

1. Power on your pc and check if the bios beeps. If yes, then it might not be your BIOS.

How did you check that the lcd was fine?

A BIOS chip can be replaced. I don't know how much that costs though. A fried BIOS cannot be flashed. If the BIOS is corrupt then you still have a chance.
Old 16th January 2011, 15:18   #2786
BHPian

My laptop repair guy had the system for a long time. The display is blank even if I hook it up to my desktop LCD.
Apparently its a common problem with Inspiron 8500. Attaching the link of the solution from the Dell community.
Re: Inspiron 8500 - Video BIOS failed - Laptop Video Forum - Laptop - Dell Community
Old 17th January 2011, 11:34   #2787
Team-BHP Support

Is your laptop booting up? If so did you press FN+F8 or whatever after connecting external monitor?
Old 17th January 2011, 11:39   #2788
Senior - BHPian

I had a compaq with faulty BIOS. With a blank screen it beeped constantly to show that the OS is not being loaded. In case this does not happen, look at the activity lights for a sign.

What did your repair guy say?
Old 22nd January 2011, 16:16   #2789
BHPian

i've got contact with a dell uk & ireland rep based in india, if anyone is buying a lap from those places pm me and i'll give you the contact details. you could strike a bargain..
Old 1st February 2011, 13:15   #2790
BHPian

asuslaptops

does anyone have any idea about asus laptop service in india? i hear its done by raashi peripherals.. thanks!

Most Viewed