Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2011, 11:32   #3271
Senior - BHPian

re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

One specific page from Tom's Hardware about read/write speeds of 7200 rpm and 5400 rpm higher capacity 2.5" notebook drives (generally >500 GB)

Benchmark Results: Data Rate And Interface Bandwidth : Six 2.5

The general rule is that 7200 rpm perform better than 5400 rpm, and higher capacity drives perform better than lower capacities. Thus, a 5400 rpm scorpio blue 1TB does a bit better than a seagate momentus 7200 rpm 500GB drive.

Access times are also better on 7200rpm. Nothing new in all of the above, but still interested people can read the full report.

Six 2.5
Old 3rd November 2011, 12:24   #3272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
Need a laptop. Following are the demands.

1. Real good battery life.
2. Light in weight.
3. Good display.
4. Good A**.

All this in the budget of 25K-28K. Possible? I have a licensed copy of Windows 7.
As a starting suggestion, consider the HP DM1. I have one and it is great. Plenty powerful with AMD Fusion processor. Battery life of 6-8 hrs depending on how bright you keep the screen. Only 1.6kg in weight. On-site HP service if required.
Street Price should be around Rs.22,000 or less as it has been discontinued.
(New model out now with Intel i3 processor, but don't know how it stacks up on battery life as the AMD Fusion has been great on the battery front).
Old 3rd November 2011, 14:16   #3273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
As a starting suggestion, consider the HP DM1. I have one and it is great. Plenty powerful with AMD Fusion processor. Battery life of 6-8 hrs depending on how bright you keep the screen. Only 1.6kg in weight. On-site HP service if required.
Street Price should be around Rs.22,000 or less as it has been discontinued.
(New model out now with Intel i3 processor, but don't know how it stacks up on battery life as the AMD Fusion has been great on the battery front).
Thanks. I'll check this out. Although I'm quite wary of using HP products. My first laptop was HP. Wasn't really happy with he battery. But I'll take your word for it. how long have you been using your laptop?
Old 3rd November 2011, 14:48   #3274
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. I'll check this out. Although I'm quite wary of using HP products. My first laptop was HP. Wasn't really happy with he battery. But I'll take your word for it. how long have you been using your laptop?
I have been using it for 3 months now. I had a problem and called up the On-Site service department. They were very helpful and prompt. The problem related to extra ram I had added and it was the ram that was faulty and not the laptop. In the end I cancelled the service person visit as the faulty ram was replaced by the local dealer I had bought from.

Even I have heard that HP service is not good, but in the end, this laptop ticked all the right boxes for me and I took the risk. I am very happy with it, especially the money paid for it. I think it is great value for money.
Old 3rd November 2011, 15:41   #3275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
I have been using it for 3 months now. I had a problem and called up the On-Site service department. They were very helpful and prompt. The problem related to extra ram I had added and it was the ram that was faulty and not the laptop. In the end I cancelled the service person visit as the faulty ram was replaced by the local dealer I had bought from.

Even I have heard that HP service is not good, but in the end, this laptop ticked all the right boxes for me and I took the risk. I am very happy with it, especially the money paid for it. I think it is great value for money.
Looks impressive but it's a netbook. I'm strictly looking for a notebook.
Old 3rd November 2011, 19:06   #3276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Need a laptop. Following are the demands.

1. Real good battery life.
2. Light in weight.
3. Good display.
4. Good A**.

All this in the budget of 25K-28K. Possible? I have a licensed copy of Windows 7.
What is the usage?
If it is for general browsing and social networking, I would recommend a high end Android Phone. You get everything, except the price right. The Samsung Galaxy S2 is about 27K on the net. The upcoming Samsung Galaxy Nexus will be 45K, but with a whopping 720p display in a handy size.
5 Ways the Galaxy Nexus Beats the iPhone 4S
Old 4th November 2011, 00:34   #3277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
What is the usage?
If it is for general browsing and social networking, I would recommend a high end Android Phone. You get everything, except the price right. The Samsung Galaxy S2 is about 27K on the net. The upcoming Samsung Galaxy Nexus will be 45K, but with a whopping 720p display in a handy size.
5 Ways the Galaxy Nexus Beats the iPhone 4S
Ha ha Aroy. I'm looking for a laptop. Not a mobile phone.

P.S:I wish Samsung Galaxy came in with a HDMI port and 3 USB slots.
Old 4th November 2011, 09:32   #3278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ha ha Aroy. I'm looking for a laptop. Not a mobile phone. P.S:I wish Samsung Galaxy came in with a HDMI port and 3 USB slots.
You can connect HDMI via USB
  • HDMI:
    • via microUSB
Samsung Galaxy S II specs

From what I have experienced, most of us use the laptop for e-mail, browsing and social networking, so a smart phone is a much better proposition.

In my case as I do heavy processor oriented work, I use a desktop primarily, and laptop when on the road, but I am seriously thinking of switching over to a Tablet or even a high end Android (Galaxy Nexus or i Phone 4s), especially when I do not need the power or facilities of a Laptop, and a hand held device would be sufficient. With Android 4, the software is converging between phones & tablets. As screen resolutions keep increasing, the need for a laptop will keep decreasing.

With falling prices and rising speeds, I feel that 3G on phones is competitive alternative to broad band connection on a laptop.
Old 4th November 2011, 10:39   #3279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
You can connect HDMI via USB
  • HDMI:
    • via microUSB
Samsung Galaxy S II specs

From what I have experienced, most of us use the laptop for e-mail, browsing and social networking, so a smart phone is a much better proposition.

In my case as I do heavy processor oriented work, I use a desktop primarily, and laptop when on the road, but I am seriously thinking of switching over to a Tablet or even a high end Android (Galaxy Nexus or i Phone 4s), especially when I do not need the power or facilities of a Laptop, and a hand held device would be sufficient. With Android 4, the software is converging between phones & tablets. As screen resolutions keep increasing, the need for a laptop will keep decreasing.

With falling prices and rising speeds, I feel that 3G on phones is competitive alternative to broad band connection on a laptop.
So you were serious. Well, galaxy is in the house but need a laptop to do laptop business. In my line of work, words per minute still do matter a lot. Thanks anyways Aroy.
Old 4th November 2011, 13:45   #3280
Senior - BHPian

I was browsing through the Dell India Website, noticed that the XPS 15 series prices shot up by approx 5% in the last one week. Just wondering if the HDD shortage could be the reason for the sudden spurt in the prices.
Old 6th November 2011, 20:33   #3281
BHPian

Any suggestions for a laptop computer in the price range of 40-45K?
Requirements-1)i5 core
2)500GB HDD
3)4GB of RAM
4)1GB Graphic card(preferably from NVidia)
5)Windows 7 Home premium.
I'm leaning towards Dell 14R with 36months of McAfee Subscription and Genuine MS Office(I can compromise with Win7 Home Basic 64bit) which might come to 47K(?).
I'm also curious about the TimelineX from acer and Lenovo products.
Old 8th November 2011, 17:16   #3282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot_Vishwas View Post
Any suggestions for a laptop computer in the price range of 40-45K?
Requirements-1)i5 core
2)500GB HDD
3)4GB of RAM
4)1GB Graphic card(preferably from NVidia)
5)Windows 7 Home premium.
I'm leaning towards Dell 14R with 36months of McAfee Subscription and Genuine MS Office(I can compromise with Win7 Home Basic 64bit) which might come to 47K(?).
I'm also curious about the TimelineX from acer and Lenovo products.
Although 40-45K may get you a `genuine MS office', that may only be the starter edition which is of not much use at all.

36 months of Mcafee subscription is worth nothing and should not be bought. Try free AV products such as MSE, all the A suites, and many more. Save money here and perhaps go with win 7 home premium x64 licence which may be around an additional 2K over home basic.
vasudeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2011, 17:31   #3283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Although 40-45K may get you a `genuine MS office', that may only be the starter edition which is of not much use at all.

36 months of Mcafee subscription is worth nothing and should not be bought. Try free AV products such as MSE, all the A suites, and many more. Save money here and perhaps go with win 7 home premium x64 licence which may be around an additional 2K over home basic.
Sir,I managed to convince my Father about a slight Budget increase.
The upper limit is 52K.
So,I'm thinking about the Dell Inspiron 15R n5110 with Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium,36 months McAfee Subscription and Microsoft Office Student.
The specifications are as mentioned in the link below.
The Dell Online Store: Build Your System
I thought about Sony Vaio but it comes with 512MB GPU and my pal's vaio heats up faster than a HP laptop computer and it cannot play a Kannada movie without it's battery getting discharged(3+ hours)
BTW,can you please tell me why I should avoid the 36month subscription for McAfee?
Currently,my PC runs on McAfee Sunday Bazaar Edition.Hence,I have to uninstall and re-install once every 90 Days!
Old 8th November 2011, 19:12   #3284
Senior - BHPian

Getting rid of McAfee is the first thing I do on Dell laptops. It slows down laptops because of bloat. Better to install MicroSoft's free anti virus.

On top of that, run de-crappifier on a brand new laptop and performance would improve significantly Dell dock and other crapware that loaded by default eats up lots of RAM and thus battery.
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2011, 19:16   #3285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Getting rid of McAfee is the first thing I do on Dell laptops. It slows down laptops because of bloat. Better to install MicroSoft's free anti virus.

On top of that, run de-crappifier on a brand new laptop and performance would improve significantly Dell dock and other crapware that loaded by default eats up lots of RAM and thus battery.
Actually practically every major laptop manufacturer fills the laptop with a lot of unwanted software. Best get rid of most of them, and see your laptop fly.

There are a lot of freeware which will clean your system of unwanted/unused software. Run them regularly.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed