Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2011, 10:58   #3346
Senior - BHPian

re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
Pancham. I've an Acer netbook. Bought about 1 1/2 years back. I get a pretty decent A$$ in Bangalore. If A$$ a real worry for you, skip MSI , better get a Dell Mini or Sony Mini or HP mini or Samsung.
I dont know why but the sales guys in Kolkata are not really keen on selling the Dell minis.

Sony is out of my budget.

HP is definitely in my list but a very close friend of mine had a nightmare dealing with the A.S.S of HP.

SAMSUNG=== I am getting one for 12500+additional something for installing Windows 7. This is the cheapest I have seen. But how good are samsung minis??
Old 6th December 2011, 11:51   #3347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
I dont know why but the sales guys in Kolkata are not really keen on selling the Dell minis.

HP is definitely in my list but a very close friend of mine had a nightmare dealing with the A.S.S of HP.

SAMSUNG=== I am getting one for 12500+additional something for installing Windows 7. This is the cheapest I have seen. But how good are samsung minis??
They're good too. Infact you can get one for about 16K along with Windows starter (which means you don't need to buy a windows 7 separately). And this one in particular has an atom dual core processor: Samsung NP-NC 110-A04 Netbook: Flipkart.com: Compare, Review Samsung Netbook

I'm not sure if you should be installing the Windows 7 by yourself. And it will cost more right. 12500 + 5K = 17.5K

Also, register yourself with coupondunia.in to get coupons for flipkart or letsbuy etc just so that you can get this thing cheaper.
Old 6th December 2011, 11:54   #3348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I was once a reseller of HP. I had to fight 3 years for a customer just to make them accept their fault. Stay away.

Sony is not just out of budget for most but also not worth the extra price.

MSI is for the geek mostly and their build is not yet the best in business.

You might want to look at Asus and Dell. Dell is a better brand but Asus offers more value for money.
Old 6th December 2011, 11:58   #3349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They're good too. Infact you can get one for about 16K along with Windows starter (which means you don't need to buy a windows 7 separately). And this one in particular has an atom dual core processor: Samsung NP-NC 110-A04 Netbook: Flipkart.com: Compare, Review Samsung Netbook

I'm not sure if you should be installing the Windows 7 by yourself. And it will cost more right. 12500 + 5K = 17.5K

Also, register yourself with coupondunia.in to get coupons for flipkart or letsbuy etc just so that you can get this thing cheaper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
I was once a reseller of HP. I had to fight 3 years for a customer just to make them accept their fault. Stay away.

Sony is not just out of budget for most but also not worth the extra price.

MSI is for the geek mostly and their build is not yet the best in business.

You might want to look at Asus and Dell. Dell is a better brand but Asus offers more value for money.
They showed me ASUS as well. Was not sure about the brand. Dell, as I mentioned the sales guys were not very keen on showing me the dell minis.

One more thing is that one of the shops quoted Rs. 300 for loading the windows 7 (ORIGINAL) in a dos mini. Am I missing something here. Is it even original for such a less price? Another shop quoted Rs.2200. All these shops are reputed ones though.
Old 6th December 2011, 12:18   #3350
Senior - BHPian

Asus might be a new name but it is an OEM to most brands out there. They have collabrated with Lamborghini for a lineup of pc's with modern features. The build quality is up there with the best.

Dell might have reduced the margins on the mini's or the store might not have them in stock.

300 is definitely for pirated version. I would recommend trying your hand at Linux mint if you are willing to try something new. It can be downloaded for free from its website.
Old 6th December 2011, 13:02   #3351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
Asus might be a new name but it is an OEM to most brands out there. They have collabrated with Lamborghini for a lineup of pc's with modern features. The build quality is up there with the best.

Dell might have reduced the margins on the mini's or the store might not have them in stock.

300 is definitely for pirated version. I would recommend trying your hand at Linux mint if you are willing to try something new. It can be downloaded for free from its website.
Alright I will check out the ASUS then. Not sure about the LINUX though as it will be my mataji using it.
Old 6th December 2011, 13:03   #3352
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:

One more thing is that one of the shops quoted Rs. 300 for loading the windows 7 (ORIGINAL) in a dos mini. Am I missing something here. Is it even original for such a less price?
It's pirated.
That means you cannot download windows updates. It also means you cannot use Windows Security Essentials.
Old 6th December 2011, 13:06   #3353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
It's pirated.
That means you cannot download windows updates. It also means you cannot use Windows Security Essentials.
I know I know. i have an original in my VAIO and its very useful.

Last edited by Pancham : 6th December 2011 at 13:08.
Old 6th December 2011, 14:05   #3354
BHPian

Quote:
They showed me ASUS as well. Was not sure about the brand. Dell, as I mentioned the sales guys were not very keen on showing me the dell minis.
If I'm not mistaken, Asus was the first company to come out with netbooks. EeePC it was called I guess. It'll be a good buy always.

And don't get Windows 7 uploaded from local people. You might not get future updates. So get a netbook with Windows preinstalled.

Last edited by creative420 : 6th December 2011 at 14:05. Reason: correction
Old 6th December 2011, 16:53   #3355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, Asus was the first company to come out with netbooks. EeePC it was called I guess. It'll be a good buy always.

And don't get Windows 7 uploaded from local people. You might not get future updates. So get a netbook with Windows preinstalled.
Ok great then I will consider ASUS as well. I know their service center also. And i will get in Windows preinstalled to be on a safe side
THanks a lot buddy.
Old 6th December 2011, 21:59   #3356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is the one I am talking about Acer Aspire One AOHAPPY2YELLOW Netbook: Flipkart.com: Compare, Review Acer Netbook

I am not sure about the A.S.S of Acer though.
I won't be able to comment on A.S.S of Acer. I have used Win 7 with 1GB and it gets very sluggish. I am not sure how comfortable your mother will be with it. Try and get atleast 2GB even if it means paying 2-3 grand more. It is worth the upgrade. Will make the overall experience much smoother.

I did found some for you. have a look

Buy Lenovo S Series S100 (59-300428) (Black) at Best Price in India - Also find Specifications, Photos, Features & Reviews

Buy Samsung NC Series Laptop NP-NC110-A02IN (Black) at Best Price in India - Also find Specifications, Photos, Features & Reviews

Buy Asus Eee PC X101H (Black) at Best Price in India - Also find Specifications, Photos, Features & Reviews

Buy HP Mini 110-3106TU Netbook (Blue) at Best Price in India - Also find Specifications, Photos, Features & Reviews

Buy HP Mini 110-3106TU Netbook (Blue) at Best Price in India - Also find Specifications, Photos, Features & Reviews
chevelle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2011, 22:48   #3357
Senior - BHPian

Check out this
Sony VAIO YB Series VPCYB35AN Laptop: Flipkart.com: Compare, Review Sony Notebook

Bought it last month for 22k. Looks classy, works flawlessly and has fantastic battery back up too.
kpzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2011, 13:42   #3358
Senior - BHPian

The ASUS looks good. Thanks a lot. Will update you.
Old 12th December 2011, 15:26   #3359
Team-BHP Support

What is the cheapest laptop available in India with blu-ray drive?
Old 12th December 2011, 16:24   #3360
Senior - BHPian

None. Go For a normal Laptop and import an external Blu-ray from US for $120 or so. It will be cheaper even if you have to pay customs. Also, these external drives go on sale below $100 from time to time.

But what do you need blu-ray for? There are hardly any titles available for rent atleast in Ahmedabad and they cost a bomb to buy.

Most Viewed