Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2012, 01:44   #3466
BHPian

re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

After multiple rounds of thinking on whether to go for a new tablet, a desktop or a laptop (in India or from the US?), ended up buying Toshiba c640 X4012 (i5,4GB,500GB,Intel Graphics, No OS) from Flipkart for 28k. The Asus models were tempting and was inclined to go for their i7 model for around 45k on ebay, but then, the additional 17k spend was felt unnecessary and finalized on Toshiba i5.

First feedback on this Toshiba model - fast laptop and a good display, but look and quality of keyboard/mouse pad keys are better not spoken of. Not intended for rough use.

Based on my analysis, it is clear that getting a laptop from US is surely cheaper (worst case, you at least get the Win OS free worth 4-5k). For example, this Alienware model on dell website was costing Rs86k in India, but the same model was selling at 1200$ in the US. Only flip side is the support aspects in case something goes wrong which is acceptable in my opinion. I could not get hold of anyone travelling back who can get one nor do I hope going abroad in the future and hence went ahead & purchased this from Flipkart
Old 30th March 2012, 03:36   #3467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
Based on my analysis, it is clear that getting a laptop from US is surely cheaper (worst case, you at least get the Win OS free worth 4-5k). For example, this Alienware model on dell website was costing Rs86k in India, but the same model was selling at 1200$ in the US. Only flip side is the support aspects in case something goes wrong which is acceptable in my opinion. I could not get hold of anyone travelling back who can get one nor do I hope going abroad in the future and hence went ahead & purchased this from Flipkart
I agree. I myself got Dell XPS 15, Full HD, i7, 8 GB RAM, 750GB HDD, Backlit KB, JBL Speakers with Subwoofer and Intel Advanced Wireless 6230 for $1200/-

No way one can get something similar in India. I think dell support is universal.
Old 30th March 2012, 03:56   #3468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
I agree. I myself got Dell XPS 15, Full HD, i7, 8 GB RAM, 750GB HDD, Backlit KB, JBL Speakers with Subwoofer and Intel Advanced Wireless 6230 for $1200/-

No way one can get something similar in India. I think dell support is universal.
The laptop prices in USA are one of the best you can get.

For dell to support international warranty, you have to fill out a form which is transfer of warranty which is official way of saying, your warranty will be valid in India. I have done it and its a smooth process. I advise you to do it if you haven't. That way you can be assured that you won't have trouble when it is time to honor the warranty.
Old 30th March 2012, 09:03   #3469
Senior - BHPian

I got a question. I have a Dell Studio 1555. It has 4GB RAM and dedicated 512MB NVidia graphics. But it struggles to run even comparatively ancient games like NFS Most Wanted and Fifa '10. My WEI is 5,with a 6.5 score on the gaming graphics performance. After a while, the games just shut down. Can anybody provide any help?

Quote:

A friend got a similarly configured XPS15. Cost him Rs. 64000. That's not too far off the price you got it at. He then got a quote for one with 6 GB RAM, for 57k and threatened to kill me for making him go to the Dell Reseller.
Old 30th March 2012, 10:34   #3470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamik.bose View Post
A friend got a similarly configured XPS15. Cost him Rs. 64000. That's not too far off the price you got it at.
I forgot to add 2 other key components to that config. Windows 7 Pro and 2GB NVidia GT540. So, I got Dell XPS 15, Windows 7 Pro, Full HD, i7, 8 GB RAM, 750GB HDD, 2 GB Nvidia GT540, Backlit KB, JBL Speakers with Subwoofer and Intel Advanced Wireless 6230 for $1200/-
Old 30th March 2012, 13:29   #3471
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I forgot to add 2 other key components to that config. Windows 7 Pro and 2GB NVidia GT540. So, I got Dell XPS 15, Windows 7 Pro, Full HD, i7, 8 GB RAM, 750GB HDD, 2 GB Nvidia GT540, Backlit KB, JBL Speakers with Subwoofer and Intel Advanced Wireless 6230 for $1200/-
My friend got the same graphics and Windows 7 Professional as well. The difference in price isn't huge, I guess.
Old 31st March 2012, 09:53   #3472
BHPian

Came across this deal - seems a good buy for people who need a decent laptop/netbook - IbM Thinkpad X120e - with fusion 350E proc, 2gb, HDMI out & a 12 in screen @ 16939rs.

Lenovo ThinkPad - X120E - Sulekha Deals
Old 31st March 2012, 10:38   #3473
BHPian

How is this Dell unit (Vostro 1540)

Dell Vostro 1540 Ci3/2 GB/500 GB/Linux: Flipkart.com: Compare, Review Dell Notebook

Any bad experiences with this unit for anyone ? This is purely for home use.
Old 31st March 2012, 10:43   #3474
Senior - BHPian

Bought a low budget Laptop last week from Flipkart. The requirement was - Surfing and for Java proj development. Got Toshiba C665 with Dual core processor, 2 GB RAM, 320 HDD, Intel HD graphics, 15.6 inch display and DVD writer etc for 19780/-. Overall a good product and well suited for low requirements. Only catch was it was without OS and without drivers. So installed Win 7 ultimate 64 bit and called up their support for drivers. Within 5 mins, they gave me links for drivers and now everything is working perfect.
Old 1st April 2012, 10:29   #3475
Senior - BHPian

i recently order Dell Vostro V131 from Dell India. I needed something small and portable and after some detailed research on various options finalised this mode.

Specs are : i5, 4GB, 500 GB HDD; 13.3'' Antiglare LED, 2 x USB 3.0, 1 x USB 2.0, hdmi, win 7 pro, 15 mnths Trend Micro antivirus, 6 cell battery & dell laptop backpack.

Got the above with 1 yrs warranty + 1 yr accidental damage protection for INR 42500 incl Vat and Delivery.

All in all very happy with it. I tried the Vostro in a store here and found it perfect for my reqt. Didnt want an optical drive as i hardly use one and have a external usb drive. Laptop shall be delivered to me by 3rd week of April. Shall post my initial impressions and pics once its here.

Regards,
Old 22nd April 2012, 06:36   #3476
Senior - BHPian

Purchased a HP DV6T QE laptop. Been using it for a couple of days now. Was previously using a Fujitsu laptop with 1GB RAM and 120GB hard disk which was gifted to me 5 years back.

Specs below:
Windows 7 Home Premium Edition
2nd generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2670QM
1GB AMD Radeon(TM) HD 7470M GDDR5 Discrete Graphics
8GB DDR3 System Memory
750GB 7200 rpm Hard Drive
6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
15.6" High Definition HP LED Brightview
Blu-ray player & SuperMulti DVD burner

Got it for $797 after discounts. The lappy is very silent and is quick. Played a couple of Blu-Ray movies and was impressed with the clarity of the disc rather than the screen.

Screen doubles up as mirror but is enough for a laptop. Didn't want to spend $150 on the display but the screen is not very poor.

Beats Audio enhances the movies/music experience. Sounds awesome on headphones, not really noticeable on the external speakers which still do a good job and throw out a loud sound.

Keyboard is silent and doesn't have much travel. Not backlit though. Touch pad is very responsive and has a good feel to it.

Battery performance is yet to be gauged but I am getting close to 3+ hours of backup now.

Last edited by SchumiFan : 22nd April 2012 at 06:41.
Old 23rd April 2012, 19:54   #3477
Senior - BHPian

I am looking for a small laptop (10 or 12 inches max 14), nothing fancy, should have HDMI & cd/dvd with wifi. Nothing expensive either, what are my options in a low budget?
Old 26th April 2012, 19:20   #3478
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone used one of those USB based docking stations? Someone is interested in one of those since Inspiron series does not have the 'proper' docking interface.

Any reviews? Availability in India?

An example is this product.
Old 27th April 2012, 23:55   #3479
BHPian

Am in US for a short visit and bought a HP dv7-6c95dx at best buy for $780

The config:

17.3 inch screen
8 GB RAM
750 GB hard disk
2nd Gen Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM processor
The only drawback is that it does not have a dedicated graphics card - has integrated Intel HD 3000 graphics. I felt that it was Ok considering that I would not use it as a gaming laptop.

Overall a very good deal compared to the ones we get back in India. I even got a tax refund from Bestbuy when I showed my passport. I did not know that you one get a tax refund - it was a US colleague of mine who told me to apply for it.
Old 30th April 2012, 20:30   #3480
BHPian

Not sure if this is the right forum....

I am planning to buy a wireless mouse for my office laptop. Can anyone suggest any brand / model numbers here?

Thanks

Most Viewed