Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2012, 14:49   #3601
BHPian

re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4d-maniac View Post
I have used dell inspiron 15z extensively and I am not very fond of its looks, its not nearly as thin as HP envy 4 range and speakers are very tinny. This one had 1366*768 screen and colour saturation, clarity was really bad. On the upside good battery backup and snappy.

I have seen HP envy 4 briefly and I was smitten. Its a beauty. Really slim form factor. Seemed quite sturdy to me
Even i am very impressed with the HP Envy 4 package. It also comes with a 2GB graphics card, which i feel no other notebook offers at this dimensions. My only feeling, HP is unpredicatble with quality and my compaq laptops stand testimony to this fact ! hence, i am looking for other options which are in this category, Acer Timeline Ultra M5 or Samsung ultrabook or something else.
Old 18th September 2012, 15:05   #3602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomzy
Hi, i am looking out for a Dell Precision 6500 Mobile Workstation, the configuration is i7, 8 GB RAM, 500GB HDD, nVidia Quadro FX3800M Graphic Card with 1GB DDR3 dedicated memory.

Does any one know as to how much does these machines cost and where could i get the same in Bangalore for rental / purchase?

Want to use them as a workstation for Catia use.

Hi , would not recommend that you buy this in India as they are extremely overpriced.

I have a precision m4600 that I got from Dell outlet usa (refurbished). For about half the price. It had some scratches on it that's it. Ben working really well for over a year now. Just ensure you get the international warranty. Ask some friend or relative to bring out down for you.

Regards
Old 18th September 2012, 15:37   #3603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$hna

Even i am very impressed with the HP Envy 4 package. It also comes with a 2GB graphics card, which i feel no other notebook offers at this dimensions. My only feeling, HP is unpredicatble with quality and my compaq laptops stand testimony to this fact ! hence, i am looking for other options which are in this category, Acer Timeline Ultra M5 or Samsung ultrabook or something else.
I have 2 HP laptops in my family.
1) HP dv5- I got it about 5 years back. Has worked perfectly for 4.5 years but now 2 out of 4 USB ports don't work. I guess this is okay considering the rough use it has gone through.

2) HP probook- I got it 3 years back. A month ago the hard drive got corrupted and I had to get it replaced.

I guess these kind of repairs are nominal and are indicative of good build quality.
Old 18th September 2012, 15:45   #3604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4d-maniac View Post
I have 2 HP laptops in my family.
1) HP dv5- I got it about 5 years back. Has worked perfectly for 4.5 years but now 2 out of 4 USB ports don't work. I guess this is okay considering the rough use it has gone through.

2) HP probook- I got it 3 years back. A month ago the hard drive got corrupted and I had to get it replaced.

I guess these kind of repairs are nominal and are indicative of good build quality.
Looks like you have a better experience with HP products! I dont consider myself lucky with hp stuff atleast :P

But either ways, i think it now boils down to:

1. HP Envy 4 Ultra (whatever model comes with 3rd gen i5/i7)
2. Samsung Series 5 ultra 3rd gen i5 (its not really ultra, but thin enough to be portable)
3. Dell inspiron 14z (model with dedicated graphics of 1GB atleast)

Acer is removed and i m not thinking of looking at Asus or any other stuff, because of service/quality issues.

HP envy 4 seriously looks good whereas samsung series 5 is elegant and does the job. I am confused :(
Old 18th September 2012, 19:14   #3605
BHPian

how does the pentium dual core(2nd gen) fare against the I3 (2nd gen) cores for basic computing of office work and movies?
dont know about the AMD cores!!

keeping in mind that this will be used for atleast 4 years and only other requirement is 15.6 inch screen,what are the options out there?
Old 18th September 2012, 19:48   #3606
Senior - BHPian

Guys I need some quick advice. A friend of mine needs a laptop for very basic use. We haven't yet decided if it will be a mini or not. Usage will be very nominal. Watching videos and internet. Pls advice a good laptop within the range of 32-34 K.

May get it by tomorrow. Thanks in advance.
Old 18th September 2012, 20:23   #3607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariendj
how does the pentium dual core(2nd gen) fare against the I3 (2nd gen) cores for basic computing of office work and movies?
dont know about the AMD cores!!

keeping in mind that this will be used for atleast 4 years and only other requirement is 15.6 inch screen,what are the options out there?
The recently launched family of AMD apus are very good for everyday use. They are also economically priced. The performance is comparable and at times even better than the Intel counterparts. Go for amd a6 or a8, I think latest series is. 3650

The Intel 3rd generation cores have improved little on performance but more on the power consumption. Amd apus have overall better power consumption as well as graphics performance due to their inherent design advantages. Go for it if you are in budget of 40k.
Old 19th September 2012, 10:09   #3608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham
Guys I need some quick advice. A friend of mine needs a laptop for very basic use. We haven't yet decided if it will be a mini or not. Usage will be very nominal. Watching videos and internet. Pls advice a good laptop within the range of 32-34 K.

May get it by tomorrow. Thanks in advance.
Guys pls can I have some advice. It has to be a mini laptop.
Old 19th September 2012, 10:28   #3609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham

Guys pls can I have some advice. It has to be a mini laptop.
Hi pancham,
In this price range the best machine I got was sony VAIO e series laptop with 14" screen, 320gb hdd, 2gb ram and i3 2nd gen processor. While it may not exactly be a mini, its quite compact and easy to use. Only gripe is the amount of bloatware it comes installed with. Rest all is good. And yes if you go for it then do get the additional 2 year warranty for 2000 bucks.
Old 19th September 2012, 12:59   #3610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4d-maniac

Hi pancham,
In this price range the best machine I got was sony VAIO e series laptop with 14" screen, 320gb hdd, 2gb ram and i3 2nd gen processor. While it may not exactly be a mini, its quite compact and easy to use. Only gripe is the amount of bloatware it comes installed with. Rest all is good. And yes if you go for it then do get the additional 2 year warranty for 2000 bucks.
Thanks. I myself have a vaio and I regret not getting an extended warranty. But the preference is mini. So pls suggest something in mini. How are mini vaio ? And are Dell minis still available?
My friend is right now visiting various shops.

Last edited by Pancham : 19th September 2012 at 13:04.
Old 23rd September 2012, 15:35   #3611
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Any suggestions on Wireless mice for my MacBook Pro ? I would prefer a BT one but if too costly then a normal wireless is fine as well. I was thinking about Magic Mouse but its too expensive around 3500 :(
Old 23rd September 2012, 16:06   #3612
BANNED

I have a 1.5 year old Gateway laptop whose mother board is gone. I am not planning to repair it (cost around 11K for a new motherboard). My question is what can I do with this laptop - are the people who buy these for the parts?
Old 24th September 2012, 14:00   #3613
BHPian

Hi Guys

I was looking to purchase an affordable ultrabook. My main usage will be blogging, editing photos and a little bit of video editing, in addition to the usual browsing / office / Media playback.

I have a budget of around ₹ 45,000, and do not want to exceed it.

I have narrowed the choices down to the following:

1. Lenovo Ideapad U310: ₹ 43k
2. Sony T13: ₹ 45k
3. Samsung NP530: ₹ 47k

All three have 13.3"screens and core i3 processors, a 500GB HDD, 1366 X 768 screens, and 4GB RAM. Which one should I choose.
Old 24th September 2012, 17:24   #3614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
Hi Guys

I was looking to purchase an affordable ultrabook. My main usage will be blogging, editing photos and a little bit of video editing, in addition to the usual browsing / office / Media playback.

I have a budget of around ₹ 45,000, and do not want to exceed it.

I have narrowed the choices down to the following:

1. Lenovo Ideapad U310: ₹ 43k
2. Sony T13: ₹ 45k
3. Samsung NP530: ₹ 47k

All three have 13.3"screens and core i3 processors, a 500GB HDD, 1366 X 768 screens, and 4GB RAM. Which one should I choose.
I picked up one sony Vaio laptop from Vijay sales, last week.

It was 2nd gen i5, 4gb ram, 500gb HDD, 512mb graphics card and 15.6 HD LED screen for 39000/-

Cheers,
Sameer
Old 25th September 2012, 11:19   #3615
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy
I have a 1.5 year old Gateway laptop whose mother board is gone. I am not planning to repair it (cost around 11K for a new motherboard). My question is what can I do with this laptop - are the people who buy these for the parts?
Yes there are some people who do this. In delhi it is nehru place where you can get some people to sell your parts

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks