Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2012, 19:29   #3631
BHPian

re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
By the way, I'm looking for a laptop for basic needs such as browsing and video ..
I have a netbook (Asus 1015CX) which is my secondary device, the primary being a decent spec'd PC. This netbook is generally used for internet browsing and watching movies/TV series on my LCD. It will play 720p movies quite easily (will also play 1080p), costs a bit less than the laptop you have mentioned and is pretty light weight. Gives an average battery backup of 6-7 hours on Windows 7 Basic. However, the negative is that the RAM is soldered, so cannot be upgraded in the future. So if you can compromise on the screen size, check it out!
Old 23rd December 2012, 23:32   #3632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
I have a netbook (Asus 1015CX) which is my secondary device, the primary being a decent spec'd PC. This netbook is generally used for internet browsing and watching movies/TV series on my LCD. It will play 720p movies quite easily (will also play 1080p), costs a bit less than the laptop you have mentioned and is pretty light weight. Gives an average battery backup of 6-7 hours on Windows 7 Basic. However, the negative is that the RAM is soldered, so cannot be upgraded in the future. So if you can compromise on the screen size, check it out!
We have a netbook in the house already and am very uncomfortable with the screen and keyboard size. I'm only looking at a full laptop profile device. But good to know a netbook can play 1080p as well. We never tried playing any on our netbook.
Old 25th December 2012, 11:39   #3633
BHPian

Need help in making a decision! I want a laptop for occassional gaming apart from browsing/music/downloads. Shortlisted the following:
HP G6-2005AX and HP G6-2201AX. Anyone in here with these laptops?
(AMD Quad, 4GB RAM, 1.5GB Graphic). One with Windows 7, the other with Windows 8 and a HD cam.
Old 26th December 2012, 12:35   #3634
BHPian

Guys, how good are Acer ultrabooks?. Im looking at the Acer M5 with i5 and Nvidia card. Their booklet shows upto 8+ hours of battery backup.

How is the service backup of Acer in Bangalore? Also any reviews about the model?

Im looking at Ultrabooks for movies, occasional games and mostly photo editing stuff. Will this suffice?

Also the brochure says 500gb +20gb Ssd. Can I upgrade the 500gb hdd to a higher capacity later, on my own?

Thanks in advance.
Old 25th January 2013, 19:51   #3635
Senior - BHPian

I have an 1.5 year old Toshiba satellite series laptop. The thing is, it shows 56% battery wear. To check whether it is true, i changed the options to never sleep/never hibernate, and it still runs for about an hour after crossing 0% battery depletion.

So the calibration is wrong, i guess. What can be done to show the true battery wear?
Old 25th January 2013, 20:00   #3636
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Guys, how good are Acer ultrabooks?.
I don't know about Acer Ultrabooks. But I had a Gateway Laptop which cost around 28K. Gateway is part of Acer and their service centers are also common. My first problem came in 2 months when some keys came off & they said it's not covered in the Warranty. At 6 months, the socket in the laptop where you stick the charger collapsed - i.e. it went inside the case. Warranty customer service stuck it with glue. At 13 months, there was a problem in the motherboard. It couldn't be repaired both at the Acer workshop or outside workshops. And a replacement was quoted at 12K. I junked the laptop rather than repairing it.
Old 25th January 2013, 20:54   #3637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Need help in making a decision! I want a laptop for occassional gaming apart from browsing/music/downloads. Shortlisted the following:
HP G6-2005AX and HP G6-2201AX. Anyone in here with these laptops?
(AMD Quad, 4GB RAM, 1.5GB Graphic). One with Windows 7, the other with Windows 8 and a HD cam.
quick update. I bought a G6 2201 AX for 34.5K last month. Got a HP Backpack free. Came with Win 7.

Initial feel - VFM. Fast for most PC based games. Heats up a bit during gaming (like almost any other laptop)

Things I don't like -

1. Screen is too glossy - reflections are distracting
2. No light or lighted key pad in the dark
3. Two of the USB ports are placed pretty close to each other. An irritant sometimes.
Old 26th January 2013, 14:39   #3638
BANNED

@carboy; I have had some experience with the Acer Timeline who were the first to offer a 8 hour battery life. Good machines, but mine chewed up two batteries in 18 months, so went to a third party and was Ok.My son had the same and he also had a similar problem. I hear they have since fixed the problems, but once bitten thrice shy. I will revert to my tried and tested Toshiba's when I buy my own next year. As it happens in the past 15 months I have bought two 14" Toshiba's, for my daughter and my wife.
Old 29th January 2013, 01:04   #3639
BHPian

Can anyone tell me if the Lenovo Ideapad Y500 Laptop with the following specs - 3rd Gen Ci7/ 8GB/ 1TB/ Win8/ 2GB Nvidia GT650 N13P-GT1 is a good one ?

Saw it on Flipkart and is priced at INR67379.
Old 29th January 2013, 09:29   #3640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Guys, how good are Acer ultrabooks?. Im looking at the Acer M5 with i5 and Nvidia card. Their booklet shows upto 8+ hours of battery backup.

How is the service backup of Acer in Bangalore? Also any reviews about the model?

Im looking at Ultrabooks for movies, occasional games and mostly photo editing stuff. Will this suffice?

Also the brochure says 500gb +20gb Ssd. Can I upgrade the 500gb hdd to a higher capacity later, on my own?

Thanks in advance.
I have been using Acer laptops for the past 8 years. I used the first one for about 5 years. It still works but, I stopped using for two reasons: additional support to hold the screen due to broken hinge, battery lasts for about 10 mins. I changed the battery and the power adapter each once during this 5 years period. The second acer laptop is purchased about 3 years back, and going strong. Acer replaced the lcd panel when the display started showing some vertical lines after 8 months of usage. I changed the battery about 6 months back. I am one happy customer.

I had some experience with laptops of dell, toshiba and hp at office. Laptops of all major brands easily lasts for three years without any major issues. Batteries generally last about 1 to 3 years based on the usage, and are the major expenses in most cases of laptop ownership. Irrespective of brand, economy series laptops are generally built flimsily (cheaper casings and keyboards) and need to be maintained little more carefully compared to the premium series laptops.
Old 30th January 2013, 18:04   #3641
Senior - BHPian

I am looking for a new laptop within the budget 30-40K.

My usage pattern - Heavy Internet browsing/youtube streaming, Applications like MS Office, Photoshop, Oracle, Java, Turbo C etc and games like FIFA 2013, F1 2012 and other similar sports games.

I own a HP PC and a Sony Vaio laptop and i am happy with both.

Please tell me which will be the best laptop in this range of 30-40K, which will be the best comapny to go for - HP, Sony, etc???

I expect new laptop to have atleast an i5 processor, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD and 1GB Graphic card.

Please note that this purchase is not immediate i.e. I have to buy before May so have ample time t wait if any new model etc is coming up in market.

Last edited by bluevolt : 30th January 2013 at 18:25.
Old 30th January 2013, 18:15   #3642
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
I expect new laptop to have atleast an i5 processor, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD and 1GB Graphic card.
Are these specifications based laptops available under 40K? I thought they would be way above. (Please correct me if I am wrong)
Old 30th January 2013, 18:24   #3643
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Are these specifications based laptops available under 40K? I thought they would be way above. (Please correct me if I am wrong)
Yes they are available (except the RAM part) http://www.flipkart.com/samsung-np30...3-c3d43a81195c

But i don't know how good is this laptop.

Last edited by bluevolt : 30th January 2013 at 18:26.
Old 6th February 2013, 08:39   #3644
BHPian

Dell has some good budget options. I guess if your requirement is just browsing, Office, music, movies and this is good. If you are heavy 3D gamer then may be you should look for the higher end ones.

- 14 inch without o/s - 25K
- 15 inch without o/s - 26K
- 15 inch with Win 8 - 27K
Old 8th February 2013, 07:33   #3645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xryder View Post
Can anyone tell me if the Lenovo Ideapad Y500 Laptop with the following specs - 3rd Gen Ci7/ 8GB/ 1TB/ Win8/ 2GB Nvidia GT650 N13P-GT1 is a good one ?

Saw it on Flipkart and is priced at INR67379.
Asus has a laptop with similar specs, priced lower. I bought a Z580 with the exact same configuration last week. Works well, but the Lenovo bundled software is a pain. Yet to try any games or high-demand processing. Photoshop starts up in about 2 seconds.
Do take a look at brick-and-mortar stores. You will get the laptop for a lot less money.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks