Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2014, 14:45   #4021
Senior - BHPian

re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
Thanks guys I downloaded Elantech Smartpad and now it's working fine. Earlier I had downloaded the Synaptics driver but realised my laptop doesn't have a Synaptics touchpad.
If you wish for newer drivers, here you go:

http://www.station-drivers.com/index...croelectronics

Totally reliable site.
Old 13th February 2014, 11:57   #4022
BHPian

Hello Team,

I would request you to help me in picking a new laptop since the last two I picked myself have gone kaput, in less than two to three years each.

My requirement is very basic, watch the occasional movie, use it for email, office work and a little bit of trading. 15 inch screen will be ideal.

My budget is around 25-30 and I would please request you guys to refer a reliable model, one which will last the distance. My old Acer Aspire purchased in 2006 still works, the two Vaios I brought since then are both scrap and these were very expensive laptops.

Can I buy through Flipkart or go to a brick and mortar store, I am in Gurgaon.

Thanks.
Old 13th February 2014, 17:10   #4023
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post
Hello Team,

I would request you to help me in picking a new laptop since the last two I picked myself have gone kaput, in less than two to three years each.

My requirement is very basic, watch the occasional movie, use it for email, office work and a little bit of trading. 15 inch screen will be ideal.

My budget is around 25-30 and I would please request you guys to refer a reliable model, one which will last the distance. My old Acer Aspire purchased in 2006 still works, the two Vaios I brought since then are both scrap and these were very expensive laptops.

Can I buy through Flipkart or go to a brick and mortar store, I am in Gurgaon.

Thanks.
With that kinda useage, check out the Dell Inspiron series. @ INR 29990/-. Sounds like a VFM deal.

http://www.dell.com/in/p/inspiron-15-3521/pd

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 13th February 2014 at 17:13.
Old 14th February 2014, 16:08   #4024
Senior - BHPian

I'm looking for a laptop within a budget of 40k. Its going to be for personal use besides my office laptop and would be used for watching movies, playing games and some amount of video editing.

I looked at Lenovo's G505s series and with the AMD's A10 processor, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HD and a dedicated 2.5 GB graphics card it looked pretty sweet at <40k.

8 GB RAM means less time in converting videos, 1 TB HD means ample storage space for movies/games and a 2.5 dedicated Graphics card means I would be able to play enough games at medium graphic setting.

The closest something came to these three specs was HP's Pavilion 15 but it only had 1 GB graphics card.

So here I am, trying to finalize a laptop that I could get ~40k. Also, I wouldn't be ordering it online as someone is going to get it for me so please suggest those models which would be available easily in the physical retail market, thanks!
Old 14th February 2014, 22:28   #4025
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I looked at Lenovo's G505s series and with the AMD's A10 processor, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HD and a dedicated 2.5 GB graphics card it looked pretty sweet at <40k.

8 GB RAM means less time in converting videos, 1 TB HD means ample storage space for movies/games and a 2.5 dedicated Graphics card means I would be able to play enough games at medium graphic setting.
This particular laptop is excellent. You can go ahead with it.

I have reviewed this laptop on my blog but can't put its link here due to t-bhp rules. Please go to my profile and checkout the link.
Old 14th February 2014, 23:02   #4026
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Team,

I would request you to help me in picking a new laptop since the last two I picked myself ------------snip-----------kart or go to a brick and mortar store, I am in Gurgaon.

Thanks.
I was in the same quandary a few days back. I went and picked up a lenovo ideapad flex 10.
Came in at 27 k, looks good, works well, and the 320deg presentation mode is excellent for movies too. Do give it a look.
The form factor is good, and it doesn't look boring.
Picked a lenovo because of very good experience with my precious ThinkPad.
Old 17th February 2014, 18:30   #4027
BHPian

Anybody here using Asus transformer t100 windows tablet . I am planning to buy it, wanted some reviews.
Old 24th February 2014, 18:32   #4028
BHPian

Hello Team,

I have been using a HP Pavillion DV-6 for about 4 years now, and it has started to show signs of being sick.

So after a lot of research, I have finalized on The Lenovo - G400S. Its got a Core i5 processor clocked at 2.6 GHz(With turbo boost it goes Upto 3.2 GHz), 4 GB Ram, 500GB Hard disk, 2GB Nvidia 720M Graphics Card and it has a touch screen.

I am getting it for under 44K, however before taking the leap I would request you to kindly suggest whether this is worth it or should i be looking at something else.
Old 24th February 2014, 20:17   #4029
BANNED

Folks

Do not buy Laptops especially Dell from online portals like Ebay.in, Amazon.in. Though, seller claims it has manufacturer warrenty.

This is not applicable if Seller is Providing a Proper invoice with tax details etc. However, mostly these seller dont provide it and sends only transaction slip with Ebay Logo etc. Pls note it is Not invoice and Dell/Lenovo Etc. doesnt entertain warrenty claims based on such sales. This applicable especially on laptop with other than english keybords like Thai etc.

My friend had this experience on Ebay. Dell Refused warrenty without invoice. (He just had Ebay transaction slip and seller never provided invoice even after repeated follow ups)

Raising flag for overall members benefit.
Old 3rd March 2014, 15:16   #4030
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

I'm looking for a basic laptop which will be primarily used for internet surfing with a budget of around 20K. Please let me know of a feasible choice and place to buy.
Old 3rd March 2014, 17:05   #4031
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
Hi,

I'm looking for a basic laptop which will be primarily used for internet surfing with a budget of around 20K. Please let me know of a feasible choice and place to buy.

I would suggest u extend your budget and for for the inspiron 15 3421 on flipkart works out to 26k sometimes
Old 3rd March 2014, 17:29   #4032
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Team,

My budget is around 25-30 and I would please request you guys to refer a reliable model, one which will last the distance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
With that kinda useage, check out the Dell Inspiron series. @ INR 29990/-. Sounds like a VFM deal.
I have say, that Insprion series is built to a cost. Do not expect it to last the distance.
If you use the keyboard with slightly dirty hands, for example, expect the colour to wear off all around the trackpad area and even around the keyboard.
Do not expect the LCD screen to give you good display after few years.
Old 3rd March 2014, 17:38   #4033
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samy3660 View Post
Anybody here using Asus transformer t100 windows tablet . I am planning to buy it, wanted some reviews.
Not this, but I am using the t300. There's a design flaw in that, and presumably with this too, in that, the dock is VERY light, and at anything more than 90degrees, there is a tendency to topple over. Otherwise, it's impossible to fault the feel and quality of the tf. By far the best thing I've used in tablets.
Old 4th March 2014, 08:32   #4034
Senior - BHPian

I've come across the following attractive models but am not sure how they're going to perform; any thoughts?

Lenovo Ideapad Flex 10 (59-404493) Netbook (4th Gen CQC/ 2GB/ 500GB/ Win8/ Touch)
Asus X200CA-KX018D
Old 4th March 2014, 11:47   #4035
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
I've come across the following attractive models but am not sure how they're going to perform; any thoughts?

Lenovo Ideapad Flex 10 (59-404493) Netbook (4th Gen CQC/ 2GB/ 500GB/ Win8/ Touch)
Asus X200CA-KX018D

Back again.
I picked the the flex 10 just last month.
Very capable machine for run of he mill stuff.
outlook, excel, word, firefox, bitlord all run concurrently without any issues at all.
Touchscreen is a whiz to use.
Howver, anything heavier sort of puts it into shame mode. I converted a video from mkv to mp4 last night, and it behaved about as slow as lappys did with vista.

Form factors really good too, and its light, and the textured bronze chocolate finish is quite different from your regular plastic finishes.

Most Viewed