Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2014, 09:29   #4186
Senior - BHPian

re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroFuel View Post
Is the keyboard backlit, is it ultraportable one? Once when I asked at croma store, they said backlit keyboard only comes in ultraportable ones.
Yes the keyboard is backlit. It is not ultra portable. However it weighs just 2.5kg. So its not an overweight hunk of rock either . Its definitely something you can carry around when you wish.

I had considered the thinkpads as well but the area I work in - computer graphics requires serious horsepower and a good gpu. There was no thinkpad with a decent gpu at a sane price. This one had pretty much every thing I required.

Also if anyone thinks thinkpad sounds good, you haven't heard the modern MSI or Asus laptops. The former comes with Dynaudio designed speakers and the latter with Icepower tech from Bang & Olufsen. The asus even has an external subwoofer to reinforce the internal speakers. But even on its own, the speakers sound fantastic.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 24th July 2014 at 09:33.
Old 24th July 2014, 11:33   #4187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Picked up a new laptop - Asus ROG G56JR - Full HD IPS display, Core i7 4700HQ, 8GB DDR3L (upgraded to 16GB), Geforce GTX 760M, excellent touchpad and keyboard, all aluminium etc. Upgraded the storage from a 1TB hard drive to a 256GB Crucial MX100 SSD and now the machine absolutely flies.

Some pictures:
Congrats to you and my gratitude for all your help over the years.
I have a Sep 2011 Dell XPS with full HD and second gen core i7. The DVD tray never used to last more than 6 months and had to replaced twice under warranty. so last year, I did this:
1. bought a portable transcend dvd.
2. bought a Samsung 840 Pro and removed my old Intel 520 SSD from my desktop.
3. Bought a DVD to SATA converter from UK and thus made space for 2nd hard drive in my system.
4. So now I have a primary SSD and a second 1TB storage disk.

I really am impressed and since using SSDs from 2012, I think that for performance, they are as important as a processor. Really has breathed life into my laptop.
Old 28th July 2014, 18:09   #4188
BANNED

Need suggestion:

I have a 3 year old Dell Inspiron N5010 already out of warranty. A couple of week back the 1 GB ATI graphics card went kaput with the legendary 8 BEEPs.

Now, the problem is, in Dell Inspiron the graphics card is basically not a card, they are chipped into the MB. This mean, I have to replace the MB.

What should I do:
  1. Give the laptop to Dell service center? What will be approximate cost for repair? Anyone has any experience, please help.
  2. Give laptop to 3rd party repair shop. I generally don't have a good trust in them. But can try if someone suggest me a really trustworthy service center in south Bangalore.
  3. Dump the laptop and go for a new one.
Thank you all in advance for helping me .
Old 28th July 2014, 19:00   #4189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
Need suggestion:

I have a 3 year old Dell Inspiron N5010 already out of warranty. A couple of week back the 1 GB ATI graphics card went kaput with the legendary 8 BEEPs.

Now, the problem is, in Dell Inspiron the graphics card is basically not a card, they are chipped into the MB. This mean, I have to replace the MB.

What should I do:
  1. Give the laptop to Dell service center? What will be approximate cost for repair? Anyone has any experience, please help.
  2. Give laptop to 3rd party repair shop. I generally don't have a good trust in them. But can try if someone suggest me a really trustworthy service center in south Bangalore.
  3. Dump the laptop and go for a new one.
Thank you all in advance for helping me .
Hi PetrolRider, It seems that your motherboard would have to be replaced since nobody in India will have the technology to remove the graphics chip and solder a replacement (assuming they can find a compatible part)

From my experience with running to the service centres / 3rd party assemblers, etc. I suggest you simply buy a new laptop. You can contact JustFix in Bangalore (I think they have a shop on Residency Road (near Brig Road crossing)) to help you transfer your data from the Dell hard disk. They might even be able to give you a quote for replacing your motherboard but it's likely to be at least 10-15k which is simply not worth it for a 3yr old laptop. Service center will probably quote 5k higher and charge you a thousand bucks to just inspect it.
Old 29th July 2014, 22:53   #4190
BHPian

Apple has updated the MacBook Pro range for India.
13" now comes with 8GB of RAM as standard and 15" with 16GB. Should be good for a few years, methinks.
Also the prices seem to have come down significantly post-budget.
Hence the great "deals" on all the websites.
Old 30th July 2014, 11:58   #4191
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar R View Post
Hi PetrolRider, It seems that your motherboard would have to be replaced since nobody in India will have the technology to remove the graphics chip and solder a replacement (assuming they can find a compatible part)

From my experience with running to the service centres / 3rd party assemblers, etc. I suggest you simply buy a new laptop. You can contact JustFix in Bangalore (I think they have a shop on Residency Road (near Brig Road crossing)) to help you transfer your data from the Dell hard disk. They might even be able to give you a quote for replacing your motherboard but it's likely to be at least 10-15k which is simply not worth it for a 3yr old laptop. Service center will probably quote 5k higher and charge you a thousand bucks to just inspect it.
Thank you Kumar. Data transfer is a not an issue as I already have them backed up in my external hard disk (experience in loosing priceless family photos to HDD crash helps here). I somehow need to clean wipe the HDD. But, I don't see any way to dispose off a 3 year old not working laptop , hence no hurry in data wiping out process too.
Earlier I had a HP laptop which drags through 6 year with my abuses and still could fetch me some buck with reselling. But with Dell, really really bad experience. Battery went down in just one and half year, CPU fan in 2 year and now MB in 3 years. Though my office Dell did serve well, but I think Inspiron models have some serious issues with them.
Old 3rd August 2014, 21:04   #4192
Senior - BHPian

Here's a very good review of the Lenovo Y50. Sadly the model is not available in the Indian Shores :(

Old 12th August 2014, 13:59   #4193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I have a HP 630 laptop at home which while surfing the net yesterday conked off
Inspite of repeated service withthe known acquaintance, the laptop isnt in any mood to get repaired I guess. Finally visited HP service centre and by intial diagnosis my worst rumours are coming true. The motherboard of the laptop is showing signs of slow death and replacement is imment. What would the new motherboard for HP 630 cost? Any pointers as to where can I get an alternate if HP comes with an astonomical quote? I cannot afford a new laptop at this point but maybe 3-4 months down the line yes. So what should my stop gap strategy be?
Old 12th August 2014, 14:29   #4194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Here's a very good review of the Lenovo Y50. Sadly the model is not available in the Indian Shores :(

It is available on dostore at 77k.

http://www.thedostore.com/laptops/id...eapad-y50.html
Old 12th August 2014, 19:20   #4195
BHPian

Quote:
Inspite of repeated service withthe known acquaintance, the laptop isnt in any mood to get repaired I guess. Finally visited HP service centre and by intial diagnosis my worst rumours are coming true. The motherboard of the laptop is showing signs of slow death and replacement is imment. What would the new motherboard for HP 630 cost? Any pointers as to where can I get an alternate if HP comes with an astonomical quote? I cannot afford a new laptop at this point but maybe 3-4 months down the line yes. So what should my stop gap strategy be?
If you can afford to get a new one 3-4 months from now, I won't advise you to get motherboard replaced, rather get it repaired. Motherboard repair, no matter to what extent it may be, won't burn a hole in your pocket and you would be good for some months.
Old 13th August 2014, 00:31   #4196
Senior - BHPian

If this repair place isn't Hitec Computers in Tulsidham, maybe you want to have it checked there.

Quote:
Inspite of repeated service withthe known acquaintance, the laptop isnt in any mood to get repaired I guess. ................. So what should my stop gap strategy be?
Old 13th August 2014, 08:02   #4197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheetumanu View Post
If you can afford to get a new one 3-4 months from now, I won't advise you to get motherboard replaced, rather get it repaired. Motherboard repair, no matter to what extent it may be, won't burn a hole in your pocket and you would be good for some months.
Thanks for the advice. I am also of the same opinion, run the laptop for acouple of months and look out for a better exchange offer somewhere during Diwali or push it till new year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
If this repair place isn't Hitec Computers in Tulsidham, maybe you want to have it checked there.
Maybe I should I have asked for this info earlier. Now its with HP service centre. Thanks anyways Khoj, will keep this info in my contact list.
Old 14th August 2014, 20:34   #4198
Senior - BHPian

Update:

HP diagnosis says the motherboard in my laptop has gone bad and needs replacement. The quote sent by HP is enormous in the range 12K. Does motherboards come so costly? Is there any place I can get the actual quote for the motherboard if part no is provided? I tried googling but could get the desired results. Any BHPians dealing with computer spares can help in this regards.
Old 14th August 2014, 22:18   #4199
BHPian

Quote:
Update:

HP diagnosis says the motherboard in my laptop has gone bad and needs replacement. The quote sent by HP is enormous in the range 12K. Does motherboards come so costly? Is there any place I can get the actual quote for the motherboard if part no is provided? I tried googling but could get the desired results. Any BHPians dealing with computer spares can help in this regards.
You won't get a replacement motherboard elsewhere easily and you shouldn't try it either. There are experts who can repair the board. What has gone bad in the board?
Old 15th August 2014, 11:21   #4200
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a 2009 Dell Studio which was running fine till recently. Now when I unplug the adapter it simply switches off! The battery has LED indicators which shows the capacity remaining, and it shows about 40% charged. Not sure what the problem is.

How to diagnose if it is the battery or something internal to the laptop?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks