Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2015, 22:56   #4396
BHPian

re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar R View Post
Guys, I will soon have to purchase a new laptop to take with me for my graduate studies in the US.
Hi Kumar , Cant you get one after landing in US ? You will get better options and atleast 30- 40 % less price and 2 kgs lighter carry in baggage from India :-)
Old 31st July 2015, 23:30   #4397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookey View Post
Hi Kumar , Cant you get one after landing in US ? You will get better options and atleast 30- 40 % less price and 2 kgs lighter carry in baggage from India :-)
Yeah, I'd love to (that's what my brother suggested as well), but the thought of landing in a foreign country with no laptop / data + no data enabled phone (since the phone I have to buy there) is making me nervous. Plus typical Indian fear of being tricked in some store and not knowing the local tricks / offers. Is it easy to buy one?
Old 1st August 2015, 02:49   #4398
Senior - BHPian

Do your research before hand. Surf the sites (Staples, Best buy etc) select the laptop you want, order it, select the option of pick up at the store's outlet near where you are are going to be and pay against the pick up. Simple.

In fact in a week or so you will get great deals on your selection under the "back to school" annual sales jamboree.

Anything you take from here will be terribly outdated unless you are willing to spend the top dollar, which then does not make any sense or does it?

You are going to the land of options, use them.

Quote:
Yeah, I'd love to (that's what my brother suggested as well), but the thought of landing in a foreign country with no laptop / data + no data enabled phone (since the phone I have to buy there) is making me nervous. Plus typical Indian fear of being tricked in some store and not knowing the local tricks / offers. Is it easy to buy one?
Old 1st August 2015, 10:44   #4399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I will soon have to purchase a new laptop to take with me for my graduate studies in the US. (Presently I use a desktop and have an 9 year old Thinkpad that is more of a portable desktop than a laptop). In particular I am looking for Lenovo brand and something that is lightweight (less than 2 kg) and small (but not with a cramped keyboard). I am not fussy about a touchscreen and the specs can be minimal since I will use it only for documentation and browsing. My budget is Rs 35k.

I have been suggested these two models

Lenovo Yoga 300 series (Rs 30k)

http://www.flipkart.com/lenovo-300-y...2005&srno=b_43

and Lenovo Ideapad Flex-2 (Rs 37k) [Mysteriously the Lenovo site shows the price at Rs 43k]

http://www.flipkart.com/lenovo-ideap...30280&srno=b_5

Is it safe to order via flipkart?

What would you reccomend - is there some other model I should consider? I am bewildered by the array of choices and totally out of tune with the market.
If you are going to US, get a Lenovo there. It will be much cheaper. You may also get a decent discount on the X series if there is a sale. Just ensure that you buy a 3 year International warranty.
Old 1st August 2015, 12:49   #4400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Do your research before hand. Surf the sites (Staples, Best buy etc) select the laptop you want, order it, select the option of pick up at the store's outlet near where you are are going to be and pay against the pick up. Simple.

In fact in a week or so you will get great deals on your selection under the "back to school" annual sales jamboree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
If you are going to US, get a Lenovo there. It will be much cheaper. You may also get a decent discount on the X series if there is a sale. Just ensure that you buy a 3 year International warranty.
Thanks a lot, I spent a few hours on the websites as also the MS Store. The options are endless. Many of the models displayed are also not available in India so a direct comparison is difficult. I'm veering towards the Lenovo Yoga 3 but I have to go check out the form factor and keyboard at a showroom to decide if the keyboard is ergonomic. I'll probably ask a NYC-based friend to buy one and have it shipped to his home.
Old 1st August 2015, 13:03   #4401
Senior - BHPian

I prefer the X series for portability and the T series for high end computing. Nothing beats the solid chassis of these two series.
Old 2nd August 2015, 00:52   #4402
Senior - BHPian

Do note that at the university you will be the odd ball with a Windows based laptop. Majority of the Junta 99.999% will be on OS X Yosemite.

Quote:
I'm veering towards the Lenovo Yoga 3
Old 8th August 2015, 16:04   #4403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I prefer the X series for portability and the T series for high end computing. Nothing beats the solid chassis of these two series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Do note that at the university you will be the odd ball with a Windows based laptop. Majority of the Junta 99.999% will be on OS X Yosemite.
Thanks guys. Macbook exceeds my budget (cheapest is $749), as does the T and X series and I'm not too familiar with the OS in any event.

After some research I narrowed down my requirements to the following dealbreakers

1. Screen-size: 13-14 inch [I felt 11 inch was too small to sit and do writing over long periods, due to both screen and keyboard size)

2. Weight: Maximum 2 kgs, ideally 1.5 kgs

3. Touchscreen

Desirable (but not dealbreakers)

A. SSD Hard Disk
B. Full HD screen
C. Convertibility to tablet

I narrowed my search to these four models (most of these are not available in India in these configurations so comparison with Indian prices is hard)

- Lenovo S31 [13.3" Full HD, Hybrid HDD, 8 GB RAM, Non-convertible and no touch, 1.50 kgs] @ $589

- Lenovo Flex 3 14" [14", Full HD, Hybrid HDD, 8 GB RAM, Full convertibility, 1.95 kgs] @$609 (exact model is 80JK0014US)

- HP Pavilion x360 [13.3", Full HD, No Hybrid HDD, 8GB RAM, Full convertibility, 1.65 kgs] @ $589

- Dell Inspiron 13 7000 series [13.3", 1366 x 768 (No HD), 4 GM RAM, Full convertibility, 1.63kgs] @ $549

I'm likely going ahead with the second option (i.e. Lenovo Flex 3); Two questions:

Is this value for money?

Is 1.95 kgs too heavy?

Thanks!

Last edited by Kumar R : 8th August 2015 at 16:06.
Old 8th August 2015, 21:32   #4404
Lij
BHPian

Has anyone directly ordered from HP India website? Any feedback on the delivery timelines? On the website it shows 9 days to deliver, not sure why such a long period.
Old 13th August 2015, 13:26   #4405
BHPian

I cracked the screen of my 15.6 inch Vaio. It was purchased in mid 2011. I wish to get it fixed rather than replace it. I had a bad experience with getting a Macbook fixed cheaply so want to stick to an authorised Sony centre. Any ideas on the approx cost involved, and timeframe? Also, is it necessary to back up the data.
Sony doesn't have a single centre in Gurgaon which deals in computer service. Would have to make a trip to Delhi, noone seems to answer the phones!!
Is there anyone who has had the systems screen replaced?
Old 13th August 2015, 20:05   #4406
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
Any ideas on the approx cost involved, and timeframe? Also, is it necessary to back up the data.
Its a 15.6 inch screen, while rates keep changing for LCD panels based on demand & supply I'd say you're looking at say 6-7k which may or may not include labour charges. Its worth the price having it changed and overall other maintenance like vents cleaning, should return it to an almost new state. Backing up the data is certainly unnecessary for replacing an LCD panel since its just to be removed from the bezel and the new one fixed in place using the backlight & video-in connectors. However if you think there's a chance that someone might fiddle with the HDD (even though the panel repair is not even remotely associated) you could back it up anyway for peace of mind.

What you can do is call the Delhi repair shop in advance, see if you can describe the problem to them and if they understand. Once they're sure of the problem & part number ask them to source the panel ready for you once they state the cost. That way only a single trip has to be done and it shouldn't take more than an hour so you can carry it back. If they're unsure of the exact part number then its better to leave it there to be repaired.

Last edited by dark.knight : 13th August 2015 at 20:07.
Old 18th August 2015, 12:49   #4407
BHPian

Ordered a asus ux305fa from paytm for 43.5k. Its pretty good vfm for a ultrabook I think.

Core-m
4gb ram :(
256gb ssd
Fhd screen
13.3inches
1.2kg
9hr battery life

Will keep you guys updated on the performance once it arrives.
Old 18th August 2015, 13:04   #4408
BANNED

Watch out Lenovo users. After Win10 the OneKeyRecovery will NOT work. There is a new kid on the block AOMEI OneKeyRecovery which is supposed to cater to this.
Old 18th August 2015, 14:23   #4409
Senior - BHPian

I am hugely confused between a 4th Gen i3 processor and a 4th Gen i5 processor.
While both clock around 1.7 Ghz speed, the price difference is atleast Rs.15,000.

Am looking at Dell Inspiron 3542, which comes with both i3 and i5 processors.

Inspiron 3542 with i5 processor:

http://www.snapdeal.com/product/dell...4th/1804227303

Inspiron 3542 with i3 processor:

http://www.amazon.in/Dell-Inspiron-1.../dp/B00LGMG27G

Apart from the processor difference, there is a Nvidia Graphics card and 1 TB Hdd. But that does not justify 15k premium.

I see that i3 1.7Ghz processor equipped laptops are pretty common (almost all brands sell these), but finding a i5 processor laptop with > 2Ghz speed is a challenge !

What do you folks recommend ? Go for i3 1.7Ghz or i5 1.7Ghz.

Usage is basic browsing, photo editing, movies, music, mild games like old NFS series.
Old 18th August 2015, 15:17   #4410
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Apart from the processor difference, there is a Nvidia Graphics card and 1 TB Hdd. But that does not justify 15k premium.
I have both i3 (Toshiba M840) and i5 (Lenovo Flex2). There is a huge performance difference. I do have Nvidia in my Lenovo but then Win10 does not quite like it. Nvidia drivers have been a pain. Too big, and too frequent, with poor installers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks