Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2015, 12:02   #4426
Senior - BHPian

Guys, need a bit help. My dad needs laptops with serial port, but they are a rare breed now a days. Recently we had to buy two used ones since they had this port. But they are dated with low ram(max 4Gb) and other issues. I was browsing the dell site and spotted a dock in the accessories section. Has anyone used that?

Any alternates to consider? Tried the USB to serial adapter, but it's buggy and doesn't always work.

The best case is finding a laptop with serial port and the next best option is one with dock.

Thanks.
Old 5th September 2015, 12:10   #4427
BHPian

re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

I have just ordered Dell Latitude E7450 Ultrabook with 8 gb RAM & i5 processor. It weighs about 1.54 Kg and comes with 3 years onsite warrant, SSD, touch display, and 6 cell battery.

Was thinking of going with Mac Air but addicted to Windows platform.

Thinkpad was on the shortlist but did not like the keyboard, I prefer Dell.
Old 5th September 2015, 17:31   #4428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Guys, need a bit help. My dad needs laptops with serial port, but they are a rare breed now a days. Recently we had to buy two used ones since they had this port. But they are dated with low ram(max 4Gb) and other issues. I was browsing the dell site and spotted a dock in the accessories section. Has anyone used that?

Any alternates to consider? Tried the USB to serial adapter, but it's buggy and doesn't always work.

The best case is finding a laptop with serial port and the next best option is one with dock.

Thanks.
Hi,

I'm assuming you need the serial port for an old device like a printer or something.

If so, it's better to just replace the outdated device with a newer one. Printers and other peripherals come pretty cheap these days, and are generally better replaced than living with an old laptop.

In case I've assumed wrong, try out the dock. Buy the dock and test it with a friend's USB port. If it works fine, well and good. If not, it's anyway probably not too expensive and maybe can even be returned

Cheers,
Ron
Old 5th September 2015, 17:45   #4429
Senior - BHPian

Just got my self a Mac book pro 13inch 2015, In exchange of my old 2012 mac air which had lot of issues, They still gave me 20k for that and 14% student discount, So i effectively paid only 61k For the 128 SD model.

Bought it from Market city Kurla, At Nyasa.
Old 5th September 2015, 17:59   #4430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonXRi94 View Post
Hi,

I'm assuming you need the serial port for an old device like a printer or something.

In case I've assumed wrong, try out the dock. Buy the dock and test it with a friend's USB port. If it works fine, well and good. If not, it's anyway probably not too expensive and maybe can even be returned

Cheers,
Ron
Haha. I wish we could solve the problem that easy. The port is needed for book binding machines and printing presses not easily replaced.

The problem is that I'm not sure if the dock connects via the USB bus or through proprietary port. Also didn't see it available on the Indian dell site. I'll going to give them a call on Monday and see if they have it here.

We've had almost nil success using the usb-serial adapters. Right from the cheap Chinese ones to the branded expensive ones.

Last edited by blackwasp : 5th September 2015 at 18:01.
Old 5th September 2015, 19:34   #4431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Haha. I wish we could solve the problem that easy. The port is needed for book binding machines and printing presses not easily replaced.

The problem is that I'm not sure if the dock connects via the USB bus or through proprietary port. Also didn't see it available on the Indian dell site. I'll going to give them a call on Monday and see if they have it here.

We've had almost nil success using the usb-serial adapters. Right from the cheap Chinese ones to the branded expensive ones.
I am assuming that you will use the machine in a printing press environment. In that case, why don't you get a small desktop, an all-in-one will do if you want it small. The advantages are
. You can keep upgrading the desktop piece by piece
. You can always add ports via expansion slots
. As you may not need much power, the least expensive Intel MB with a couple of GB RAM should do
Old 5th September 2015, 22:27   #4432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I am assuming that you will use the machine in a printing press environment. In that case, why don't you get a small desktop, an all-in-one will do if you want it small.
Thanks, that was thought as well, but only a laptop is in contention as portability is needed. These will be used by engineers during their visits to various clients all over India.

This and the discontinuation of Windows XP is causing us problems. The XP is not much an issue since the machines they run on are 100% offline with no software except the ones running the press/book binding machines.

So far, I have spotted only 2 laptops, both Lenovo and the Dell docking station. Hoping to find them in India.
Old 6th September 2015, 10:56   #4433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, that was thought as well, but only a laptop is in contention as portability is needed. These will be used by engineers during their visits to various clients all over India.

This and the discontinuation of Windows XP is causing us problems. The XP is not much an issue since the machines they run on are 100% offline with no software except the ones running the press/book binding machines.

So far, I have spotted only 2 laptops, both Lenovo and the Dell docking station. Hoping to find them in India.
Have you tried these
http://www.adfweb.com/home/products/...pg=matrix_10_8
http://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapte...-16950~CB2S950
http://www.i-tec-europe.eu/?t=3&v=19

Ultimately, you have to home in to some sort of RS232 adapter, whether on USB, or Ethernet or on PCMCIA slot.
Old 8th September 2015, 19:13   #4434
BHPian

Does anyone has HP ae009 TX? Thinking of buying the same. Available at Snapdeal at 82.5k.

Also let me know if any other laptop with similar spec's plus 4-5k should be ok.
Old 9th September 2015, 16:44   #4435

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
I have just ordered Dell Latitude E7450 Ultrabook with 8 gb RAM & i5 processor. It weighs about 1.54 Kg and comes with 3 years onsite warrant, SSD, touch display, and 6 cell battery.

Was thinking of going with Mac Air but addicted to Windows platform.

Thinkpad was on the shortlist but did not like the keyboard, I prefer Dell.
Hi heydj

Could you share where you bought the Dell E7450 from? I have spoken to various Dell dealers / retailers but the Latitude series seems to be unavailable to retail customers. Online is the only option I found and I have had a bad experience ordering online from Dell in the past.

Any information you could share would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 17:56   #4436
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubstar View Post
Hi heydj

Could you share where you bought the Dell E7450 from? I have spoken to various Dell dealers / retailers but the Latitude series seems to be unavailable to retail customers. Online is the only option I found and I have had a bad experience ordering online from Dell in the past.

Any information you could share would be much appreciated.

Thanks

I ordered it via office, they have further ordered via corporate account.

or call up dell and mention company you are working with, ask them to bill it at your home address.
Old 9th September 2015, 18:05   #4437
BHPian

Guys,

Please suggest a good laptop for my dad. I have zeroed on Dell 5th Gen i3 processor, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD for $399. Is this a safe buy? I don't want to spend more that $450.

My friend is travelling down from US next week. Is it worth buying a laptop from the US now? 1 USD = 66INR :(
Old 9th September 2015, 18:19   #4438

Quote:
I ordered it via office, they have further ordered via corporate account.

or call up dell and mention company you are working with, ask them to bill it at your home address.
Thanks, have not tried that route, will give it a go.
Old 9th September 2015, 23:52   #4439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
Guys,

Please suggest a good laptop for my dad. I have zeroed on Dell 5th Gen i3 processor, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD for $399. Is this a safe buy? I don't want to spend more that $450.

My friend is travelling down from US next week. Is it worth buying a laptop from the US now? 1 USD = 66INR :(
If you run windows 7 then i3 is ok but windows 8 will hang a lot.

In India laptops with this specs are quite cheap, did you look?
Old 10th September 2015, 09:48   #4440
BHPian

Quote:
If you run windows 7 then i3 is ok but windows 8 will hang a lot.

Been using win 8 on a four year old i3 based HP laptop and it works just fine. No hanging in the past three months of my usage. I use it for emails, browsing and not any programming or development though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks