Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2015, 23:21   #4546
BHPian

Re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

A friend is looking at getting a laptop from US. Which of the below brands allow/do not allow warranty transfer from US to India?
Acer, Asus, Dell, HP, Lenovo, Toshiba.
Old 29th December 2015, 03:08   #4547
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
A friend is looking at getting a laptop from US. Which of the below brands allow/do not allow warranty transfer from US to India?
Hi,

From what i kmow only Toshiba business allows intl warranty. For the rest of the brands your friend is better off buying them from India only.

Regards,
Old 29th December 2015, 10:34   #4548
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
Most of the Laptops sold in US ave local warranty only. For International warranty you ave to pay extra,and ten it is almost Indian prices. I personally prefer te Lenovo Thinkpads.
Old 29th December 2015, 20:35   #4549
BANNED

One quick question. I had a hard disk failure on my Lenovo Flex 14 i5. The disk was replaced (I bought a two year extended warranty). I wanted to buy it with 8GB RAM but having no free slot the additional 4GB could not be installed. I am on Win10 SL (64). Now I find that 8GB (replace the original module) for this laptop is available on Amazon for ₹3350 or so. The question, is it worth it, considering that I do not do much computation or graphics. I intend to keep the unit for another year to year and a half.
Old 29th December 2015, 20:40   #4550
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
One quick question. I had a hard disk failure on my Lenovo Flex 14 i5. The disk was replaced (I bought a two year extended warranty). I wanted to buy it with 8GB RAM but having no free slot the additional 4GB could not be installed. I am on Win10 SL (64). Now I find that 8GB (replace the original module) for this laptop is available on Amazon for ₹3350 or so. The question, is it worth it, considering that I do not do much computation or graphics. I intend to keep the unit for another year to year and a half.
Its very easy to decide. Under a normal workload, open your task manager to see the Memory usage. No need to go for an upgrade if the usage is less than 60%. think about getting an upgrade if you are on 70-80% usage.

Year and half is not that long. I'd recommend sticking to the current config. because DDR4 is getting more popular and there's a high chance your next laptop would have that, so the DDR3 sticks would be useless.
Old 30th December 2015, 10:22   #4551
BHPian

I have an Acer TravelMate-5738 laptop since 2009. It came with a Vista Professional operating system. The laptop's functioning has become slower and there are persistent problems with its display.

I have to position the screen in between _./ and _._ angles, so as to make the display work fine. If I position the screen at 90 degrees (_.|), the display becomes white and I have to forcefully shut it down. I have had a bad practice of using this laptop. I always use it on power, that too from an inverter point. Could it be the cause of this problem? Off late, I have tried to use it on its battery, and the battery drains out in about 8-9 minutes only. Shall I repair the display or use it till its end and get a new one? And whether upgrading RAM and changing the Vista would improve its speed?
Old 30th December 2015, 10:36   #4552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
I have an Acer TravelMate-5738 laptop since 2009. It came with a Vista Professional operating system.
I wouldn't put any money into this laptop, other than maybe purchasing an aftermarket battery. I purchased one for my Sony vaio and it worked well for about a year. Cost me 1200rs. RAM will be difficult to find and expensive I imagine due to older technology. You may also get second hand ones in the guise of new. There could be a short circuit in your display panel and maybe a technician can give it a shot at repair.
Old 30th December 2015, 11:10   #4553
Senior - BHPian

A follow up to http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post3824522

I handed it over to SP Road. They tried fixing it for a good month. Tried numerous Hard Drives, all of which were corrupted by the laptop.

We eventually concluded it was a motherboard problem. They weren't able to find out what the issue was and consequentially, weren't able to fix it.

Laptop in question is a Dell Inspiron N4110.

Funny thing being, of all the hard drives that were tried, only one worked. This one was a 120GB 9.5mm HDD. While all the others were 7mm HDDs. How does this 1.5mm make a difference? I have no idea.
Old 1st January 2016, 19:01   #4554
BHPian

A friend of mine is looking for a laptop, primarily for gaming. He has shortlisted the Asus R510JX (link) and the HP Pavilion AB034TX (link). Both cost ~65k.
Both come with i7 processors, 15.6" 1080p LED displays, 8 GB DDR3 RAM, 1 TB HDD, 8x optical drives, and the usual rest.

However, the Asus uses a 4th gen i7 (4720HQ) whereas the HP uses a 5th gen i7 (5500U) CPU. The Asus has NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M 2GB graphics, while the HP has an NVIDIA GeForce 940M 2GB.

Now I've been reading around the web, and the GeForce GTX 950M in the Asus clearly seems superior to the GeForce 940M in the HP. But, the CPU in the HP is a generation newer. (The 4720HQ despite being older, still performs better.) So it's basically a dilemma between i7 5th gen and NVIDIA 940M, OR i7 4th gen and NVIDIA GTX 950M. I am leaning towards the Asus, because it has better performance despite being older, and GTX series graphics, which are known to be superior.
Also, the Asus has upto 12 GB of expandable RAM (1 slot), whereas the HP has upto 16 GB (2 slots); although that one won't matter a lot, at least
immediately.

Among other things, the Asus ships with Windows 10, while the HP ships with 8.1, and will probably need to be upgraded to Windows 10 after the purchase. The HP has Bang & Olufsen speakers (Audi!), while the Asus has regular Sonic master ones. The Asus has the better design of the two, with an awesome black and red colour theme.

Which one would be a better choice? Also, any other better choices under this price? Actually, he is going to buy around May. And with the 6th gen Skylake i7's coming in, will he get an even better configuration till then? And will they come in at this price?

Last edited by mukul32 : 1st January 2016 at 19:14.
Old 1st January 2016, 20:32   #4555
BHPian

I am looking for Laptop with 13inch Touch screen. Ram –8GB to 16 GB .500GB SSD Hard disk. Battery life—7 hours plus. Processor i5 or i7. Should run on windows 10 os.
Currently I am using MacBook air 11inch, only shortcoming is the operating system
(now I have installed windows with dual boot). Keyboard functions to use excel, AutoCAD is big letdown.
Shortlisted: Dell XPS Ultrabook with touch screen, Dell Inspiron 13 7000, Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 20dka028ig).
I am a non techie person, please recommend a Business lightweight Ultrabook around 1 lakh.
Old 1st January 2016, 21:50   #4556
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishal9999 View Post
I am looking for Laptop with 13inch Touch screen. Ram –8GB to 16 GB .500GB SSD Hard disk.
Have a look at Asus too - http://www.ebay.in/ulk/itm/121852900503
Old 1st January 2016, 22:13   #4557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Have a look at Asus too - http://www.ebay.in/ulk/itm/121852900503
Thanks .That`s spot on to my requirement,only thing missing is Touchscreen & non-backlit keyboard

Last edited by vishal9999 : 1st January 2016 at 22:29.
Old 7th January 2016, 22:17   #4558
BHPian

I am looking for suggestion on Laptop with below configuration and usage

- 13"/14"
- Full HD preferred
- Touch/Non-Touch doesn't matter
- >=8 GB RAM
- 256 SSD
- Processing:
I will not be playing games, but will be using for development with Visual Studio, Android Studio, Open source like Node, MongoDB.
- Budget for new is 50K (max 60K)

I have an option of getting a new one from Singapore as my friend is traveling from Singapore. Dell 13 7000 is looking attractive but may be little costly. But not sure if that will be good for my type of usage.

Also, i am open for used one with good condition. Came across a listing in ebay. Are they reliable ones, any experience?

http://www.ebay.in/itm/262084258131?...84.m1438.l2649
Old 9th January 2016, 09:59   #4559
Senior - BHPian

Photoshop crashing!

Questions to experts: my Dell Windows 8 laptop (7000 series, I7, 16 GB RAM) keeps crashing when I open Photoshop the first time. Either it will reboot, or the built in Intel graphic card will stop working. Now,

1. Photoshop is configured to use the dedicated graphics card
2. After crashing the first time, everything works fine. No issues with PS performance either.

Any idea why this is happening? And what the fix could be?
Old 9th January 2016, 10:18   #4560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Questions to experts: my Dell Windows 8 laptop (7000 series, I7, 16 GB RAM) keeps crashing when I open Photoshop the first time.
In my experience this happens due to the graphics drivers. You can try rolling back to an older version of the driver and do not update the driver once you find a stable version. This happened with a server config desktop that I built and it caused me a lot of grief as I had put a lot of money into it. One way I sorted it out was to put Windows into test mode and also not enforce check for signed drivers. However this is not an option for you for graphics intensive apps. I had a dedicated SLI video card and the works but never was able to use the pc long.
Was it a Windows 7 laptop when you purchased? I tried with 32bit and 64bit OS, using one RAM stick instead of two etc

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks