Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2016, 11:45   #4561
Team-BHP Support

Re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Quote:
I am a non techie person, please recommend a Business lightweight Ultrabook around 1 lakh
You can try new Surface book with i5 , 8Gb . Though I doubt after using MAC it will be easier to shift over . Also do check new MacBook - 12 Inch for travel and MacBook Pro 15 Inch for office .
Old 9th January 2016, 11:46   #4562
BANNED

One odd ball question here. I am thinking of sampling the other world (Apple). Now what are the differences between Mac Air and Pro. I will go for the 13" model(s). Also, how do handle doc and xls files in a Mac?
Old 9th January 2016, 11:55   #4563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
One odd ball question here. I am thinking of sampling the other world (Apple). Now what are the differences between Mac Air and Pro. I will go for the 13" model(s). Also, how do handle doc and xls files in a Mac?
I'd suggest the Macbook Pro. Its an awesome machine in all respects. I think Apple is retiring the Air model.

You can get Office for Mac to handle doc/xls/ppt. Also its possible to run windows on the Mac.
Old 26th January 2016, 21:58   #4564
BHPian

My Dell Vostro 1510 screen keeps flickering. It goes away for a while when i change the angle of the screen slightly even by a degree towards me or away from me. But, the problem reappears soon again. I am assuming it's a hardware problem. Probably the screen has done it's life since it's almost 8 years old. I installed a fresh copy Windows 10 hoping it would solve the problem. However, that didn't help. Aside that, everything else works like a charm.

What could be the problem and what options do i have to rectify it?
Old 26th January 2016, 22:09   #4565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbits View Post
My Dell Vostro 1510 screen keeps flickering. It goes away for a while when i change the angle...
i have a laptop whose hinges broke and the wires/connectors were exposed. This was causing the screen to switch off at certain angles. I think it could be a simple loose connection. I used plastic ties around the hinges to tighten the joint and not faced this issue since.
Old 26th January 2016, 22:50   #4566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
I'd suggest the Macbook Pro. Its an awesome machine in all respects. I think Apple is retiring the Air model.

You can get Office for Mac to handle doc/xls/ppt. Also its possible to run windows on the Mac.
I have been a Windows and Linux user till date, thinking of checking out the Apple ecosystem.

What's the main difference between these two ?

MD101HNA

vs

ME865HN

Looks like just the graphics processor + 250 gb HDD space is different, but price wise there is a 37k difference.

Last edited by Fillmore : 26th January 2016 at 22:52.
Old 26th January 2016, 23:10   #4567
Team-BHP Support

MD looks to be 2 generation old and should be without retina , ME is probably a generation old , you should be looking at newer models at this price range and by my personal experience nothing beats 15 inch incase you are spending close to a lac

Quote:
Now what are the differences between Mac Air and Pro
MacPro should be faster and with higher RAM and mostly with retina ( not necessarily though ) , if you need something faster go for Pro but if you need something light and stylish Air should serve you , there is something even better than Air called as MacBook - this is 12 inches and very light but if you are new in this eco system better start with Pro , you have Microsoft word and outlook as well other office apps for Mac though I find Apple numbers to be better and easier to work.
Old 27th January 2016, 10:52   #4568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
I have been a Windows and Linux user till date, thinking of checking out the Apple ecosystem.

MD101HNA

vs

ME865HN

Looks like just the graphics processor + 250 gb HDD space is different, but price wise there is a 37k difference.
MD101 is quite old machice (2 generations old as Turbanator said) It also comes with HDD instead of a SSD (thats why you see 500GB on it and 256GB on the other) The SSD on the newer Macbooks (and Macbook Pros) is really speedy so thats one big difference. Screen on the newer machines is very high resolution compared to MD101 so thats one more advantage (esp if you would be doing any photography PP work)

Macbook Pro is really an awesome machine. Few months back it was available for around 85k which was great price but its around 1L figure (maybe coz of the falling rupee). If I were in the market for an apple machine, this is the one I'd buy:
http://www.amazon.in/Apple-MacBook-MF840HN-Yosemite-Graphics/dp/B00VBH9G8S/ref=pd_sim_sbs_147_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=4140mLJQ3bL&dpSr c=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1KM7X1V 3DJAYH7X7PYPZ

The new Macbook (12 inch one) is also good but it does not have any ports! So its a huge disadvantage for me.

Last edited by joslicx : 27th January 2016 at 10:53.
Old 27th January 2016, 12:46   #4569
BHPian

Quote:

MD101HNA

vs

ME865HN

The main difference is the screen, the cheaper one is a regular HD screen, while the more expensive one is 'retina' screen.

Also, the ME865HN 'might' be outdated model. Pls do some homework/googling to make sure the ME865HN is still current or find out the latest model number.
Old 27th January 2016, 14:01   #4570
BANNED

One question : how RAM hungry is the iOS vis a vis Win10 (or rather what is the footprint), and how fast or slow are comparable iOS and Windows10 machines wrt each other.
Old 27th January 2016, 14:10   #4571
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
First thing would be, would you really need a Mac?

If you love tinkering around and still have time to do so, you should stay with a Linux happy laptop where you can plug and play. I've spent hours meddling around with various distros, even had time to install Gentoo from stage 1. But now I don't even find time to fix the repositories on my Lubuntu installation.

If you fit the latter category, you should seriously look at the Mac I've had a MacPro 13 inch Retina for almost 3 years now, and have gone through the decision process of getting another Mac (this time an Air) in the household.

The Old MacPro (the MD series in your post) is heavy, comes off the box with a 500GB 5400rpm (can be flipped with a 1TB fusion drive or an SSD) and 4GB (upgradeable to 16GB). All other Macbooks come as fixed specs (I think SSD can be upgraded, but not RAM). The 12 inch Macbook and new MacPro (13 and 15 inchers) series come with the Retina display, which you won't find much difference under normal browsing and stuff. But if you are going to some graphic intensive stuff and display quality is important for you, then Retina delivers a more sharper image than the non-Retina. Except the old MacPro, I found the webcam to be of the same quality. I didn't like the 12 inch Macbook's keyboard as opposed to the one of Air/Pro, my opinion probably would be biased considering I was using the MacPro Retina's keyboard the last 3 years.

What I'd suggest is to walk into an Apple Store spend some time and meddle them all side by side. It should probably seal the decision for you.

Good luck shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
One question : how RAM hungry is the iOS vis a vis Win10 (or rather what is the footprint), and how fast or slow are comparable iOS and Windows10 machines wrt each other.
I assume you meant OS X (iOS is the mobile OS). What will be your usage?

Last edited by narayans80 : 27th January 2016 at 14:13.
Old 27th January 2016, 16:08   #4572
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
The only reason of picking up the MD101 is if you are putting in SSD and upgrading ram on day one. Else don't bother. You can get better Dell and Lenovo laptops with ssd these days.

I'm an avid mac user and have even got my mom using it for a while now. Except running games, most apps are available for Mac as well. Worst case, you might have to install VirtualBox (free software) to run an ancient xp based app that is forced on you by office.

Macs age well too. The higher input price = higher resale value* (*valid for macs only). 3 yrs down the line, you can expect 20-30k depending on condition for your 60k macbook. Not So true of any windows counterpart.

Also, worst comes to worse, you absolutely hate mac OS and decide to use Windows only. It can run latest windows with no issues. At the end you'll have the most good looking windows laptop.

I'll suggest you to get retina 13 inch model if you are not willing to tinker with HDD and ram.
Old 27th January 2016, 16:11   #4573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
What will be your usage?
First of all thanks for the reply.
Same goes to Raja , blackwasp& joslicx who responded.

It is not a high priority item for me, just that my current Win HP laptop is showing its age. Freezes at times, constant fan sound at high speed (I did clean the vents n stuff..)

Some of my criteria points / Usage
ps: hope sgiitk wont mind my hijacking the question

- Don't much care about retina display , normal display is good enough
- Prefer to run fast, so guess have to upgrade to min 8gb ram
- SSD would be great , but non SSD too should be ok.
- Hope to get rid of Malware cleanups / Virus checks (common on Win)
- Weight is not a criteria since I dont plan to carry it around (no plans to sit in Starbucks browsing ) . Would be static pretty much like a desktop.

Usage
- Major usage would be browsing
- Ability to do some photo editing ( not sure if free apps come for this that can do Image re-sizing/crop out / move / paste / cloning / mixing layers etc..)
- Ability to do some video editing ( cut clips , compress videos ) that's about it in this department
- Ripping Audio / Video , converting between some formats.

Last edited by Fillmore : 27th January 2016 at 16:14.
Old 27th January 2016, 16:26   #4574
BHPian

THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Quote:
First of all thanks for the reply.

Same goes to Raja , blackwasp& joslicx who responded.

The old macbook MD101 is very very old, not something you should really consider buying. Since you dont plan on carrying it around much, get the 128gb retina macbook pro, and use an external HDD for other storage. Or if it wont be carried at all, you can also consider the Mac mini then.
I just migrated to mac OS a month back, after loving my sisters mac. Ive got the 15 inch retina, and trust me, i cannot look at anything less than full hd anymore.
The power from the i5 will be good enough for your needs, and the 8gb ram will handle it easily. The flash disk of the mac will make jobs much quicker.

Last edited by kkkkkaran : 27th January 2016 at 16:27.
Old 27th January 2016, 18:39   #4575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- Weight is not a criteria since I dont plan to carry it around (no plans to sit in Starbucks browsing ) . Would be static pretty much like a desktop.
Like or desktop or as a desktop? I second Karan, If you don't intend to carry around at all, you could give Mac Mini a serious look. Ampere owns a Mac Mini, there is a thread with iBhp in title where he mentioned about it.

If you need occasional mobility, Old MacPro has good enough firepower to all the tasks you mention even with the off the box 5400 rpm drive. Plonk an SSD and you'll see a world of difference.

From your post, looks like heat sinking (hot enough to make omlette), loud fans are a feature of HP. Owned a ze1230, abused a good 9 years even with these 'features'

Most Viewed