Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2016, 10:07   #4636
BANNED

Re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Chaps my tuppence worth, some are with seller's warranty, which imho is a joke. My son managed to mess up the keyboard of his Lenovo Flex 14 (Pepsi on the keyboard) . He got a run round from Lenovo service in NCR, that was after the warranty (company) had expired. When I involved a friendly local dealer (Kanpur) he was able to get it sorted out within a week (new keyboard). In fact the chap came from NOIDA to Vasant Kunj and changed the Kbd. Seems that the service centres do not even bother with legal units out of warranty.

Last edited by sgiitk : 19th February 2016 at 10:09.
Old 19th February 2016, 12:28   #4637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Seems that the service centres do not even bother with legal units out of warranty.
Had a similar experience from dell for their Dell i5 Studio purchased in 2009/10, and last year when it would not boot, I had called them to check it as part of paid service. They flatly refused saying its no longer supported, without even having a look at the laptop to see what was wrong. For me it was a callous attitude towards a customer. Had they taken a look at it and said which part was faulty, I might have gone for a new laptop from them, but the way they flatly refused, I decided that Dell was no longer my favorite. I had purchased 3 laptops from them since 99, including 2 in UK. I then went and got a MSI. Not sure why these companies give such response
Old 20th February 2016, 09:37   #4638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Had a similar experience from dell ...I then went and got a MSI. Not sure why these companies give such response
There is no thing as customer loyalty or brand loyalty in this age of consumerism and affordability. I believe that the misplaced trust that we as people get on brands because we were lucky with a product we purchased is rarely reciprocated. The companies don't care for you, once they have your money. So I wonder why people purchase repeatedly the same brand? This has been my experience in India. However, in the US it is a different ball game all together. I had purchased a power supply for my desktop with a three year warranty from the US and this failed well into the third year. I raised an RMA from India and they responded by asking me to try and get the product from their distributor in India which was refused by the disti. I then sent the PSU to the US and got a brand new one as a replacement. Was blown away by their commitment. Yet to see anything like this in India. Lenskart is one with whom I've had a good experience of them honoring their warranty but these are few and far between...
Old 21st February 2016, 09:04   #4639
BANNED

The old rule - all warranties are void once the payment has been made!

Folks, thanks for warning me about Dell, now they are a non-no. Once my Flex14 goes out of warranty at the end of the year I will be looking for a replacement. I cannot afford to be without a computer.

Incidentally, reports about Apple quality and service. I have the MacPro on my radar with Windoze as the second OS.
Old 21st February 2016, 13:32   #4640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingmachine View Post
Hello, did you short-list any laptop for your requirement?

I have similar usage and looking for a laptop in 35k-40k range.

Any suggestions will be helpful.
Ended up buying the Lenovo U41-70 (5th Gen i3).

The processor for this particular model has been upgraded 3-4 months back to 5020U. Earlier this model was selling with 5005u processor.

Bought it from local Lenovo store for Rs. 38,500/-, including premium backpack & wireless mouse.

This laptop checks a lot of boxes for me:

-14 inch FHD (1080p) screen resolution
-1 TB Hard drive with 8 GB SSD- Loads up pretty fast within 10-12 seconds.
-Backlit keyboard
-Pretty smooth for my requirements-Working on Multiple tabs on Chrome, and using MS Office. Laptop comes with 4 GB DDR3L RAM. Since there is single RAM slot, entire RAM needs to be exchanged in order to upgrade it to 8GB. Planning for few months down the line, if required.
-Light weight of 1.48kg.
- Currently getting 4-5 hours of battery backup. Since battery is inbuilt, it cannot be replaced with a bigger battery. It comes with a 3-cell battery.

Overall, really happy with the purchase. Within my budget and meets all the requirements.
Old 26th February 2016, 09:02   #4641
BHPian

I was unable to find any related thread hence posting it here.

From the last couple of days, my PC screeches loudly(as if a bearing is running dry) and then turns off. When I re-boot the computer, I get a message in BIOS stating to check the fan/cpu voltage. I had the PSU RMA'd however the PC turned off again when I swapped the PSU with a known good one, again after a loud screech. MB and CPU temps are 28c and 46c respectively.

MB is Asus p5 n73 and CPU is E6750.

Has the MB kicked the bucket?

EDIT: tried this again with the known good psu. This screeching/shutting down does not occur when I am in the BIOS. This happens only when I log into windows after entering password(runs for more than 15 hours on the Win 7 home screen without any issue)

Last edited by Manoj2268 : 26th February 2016 at 09:08.
Old 26th February 2016, 09:50   #4642
BHPian

THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoj2268 View Post
From the last couple of days, my PC screeches loudly(as if a bearing is running dry) and then turns off.
what's the speed of the cpu fan? You may have a reading on the bios or can use an app that gives you this information. It could be a bad fan.
Also try using it with the cpu case open so there is more air to cool the system.
Old 26th February 2016, 10:03   #4643
BHPian

Between 1900-2100 rpm..

I have attached the MB on the engineer's wood board with the caster nuts(?) drilled at the specific locations to allow air to pass thru the bottom(breadboarding)

Last edited by Manoj2268 : 26th February 2016 at 10:07.
Old 26th February 2016, 10:22   #4644
BHPian

Run a test on your hard drive health as well. If you have a Linux boot USB, you can try running Linux from the USB and check if this is still happening. You can also run hardware tests from Linux on your hardware health.
Old 26th February 2016, 10:24   #4645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoj2268 View Post
I was unable to find any related thread hence posting it here.

From the last couple of days, my PC screeches loudly(as if a bearing is running dry) and then turns off. When I re-boot the computer, I get a message in BIOS stating to check the fan/cpu voltage. I had the PSU RMA'd however the PC turned off again when I swapped the PSU with a known good one, again after a loud screech. MB and CPU temps are 28c and 46c respectively.

MB is Asus p5 n73 and CPU is E6750.

Has the MB kicked the bucket?

EDIT: tried this again with the known good psu. This screeching/shutting down does not occur when I am in the BIOS. This happens only when I log into windows after entering password(runs for more than 15 hours on the Win 7 home screen without any issue)
I had the same problem with my Lenovo Ultra-book. I opened the back and located the fan. It was full of dust, hence partially jammed. Used a powerful blower to blow most of the dust. The fan then started behaving. Problem solved.
Old 3rd March 2016, 15:42   #4646
Distinguished - BHPian

Planing to buy a laptop with Win OS pre-installed. The ones I am looking for typically have 500GB HDD, or a 128/256 GB SSD. Plan to move to a 1TB HDD.

1) How to swap the HDD and yet retain the original licensed OS ?
2) can I swap the SSD for a HDD ?
Old 3rd March 2016, 19:41   #4647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
1) How to swap the HDD and yet retain the original licensed OS ?
2) can I swap the SSD for a HDD ?
You can use the media creation tool to create an installer for win10 and then use that (either USB or dvd) to reinstall. During install you can enter the key or say skip and the OS will take care of activation. You can note the key prior to the install too if you want.
However, you are doing the reverse, people usually swap in a ssd and make do with an external Hdd or a NAS
Old 4th March 2016, 13:56   #4648
Distinguished - BHPian

Was looking at some Lenovo's

E450 , i5-5200, with WXGA (1366x768) 14" display
has fingerprint scanner

-vs-
Flex 3 i3-6100 with FHD 14" display.
no fingerprint scanner

I am not looking at 15.6" displays, or i7's

Which one ?

Both models have some user reports of tech problems, the Flex having more.

Last edited by condor : 4th March 2016 at 14:03.
Old 7th March 2016, 22:54   #4649
Distinguished - BHPian

For a personal laptop, is there any use for a fingerprint reader ? What could be the uses ?
Old 11th March 2016, 14:20   #4650
BHPian

Can somebody suggest a 14/15.6" laptop in the 50k price range that has a good display?

Something with a bright display and good viewing angles.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks