Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2016, 08:46   #4711
BHPian

Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Any recommendations for 13.3" laptop bags with shoulder strap?
Bought new XPS13, Gold color.
Old 3rd July 2016, 09:20   #4712
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwarkaDelhiWala View Post
First thing, decide whether weight is a consideration. Any padded bag you buy will give better protection at the price of added weight.

You can look around on Amazon and you should find what you seek. Remember it is the same size as the 13" Mac.

I normally manage to persuade the vendor to give a (popular earlier) shoulder pack.
Old 3rd July 2016, 09:38   #4713
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
......the vendor to give a (popular earlier) shoulder pack.
These days Dell doesn't give out anything free with even top end laptops (except inspiron range). The vendor was giving a Hindesign leather bag for Rs.5500/-. Not worth the money.
I am looking at https://www.amazon.com/ECBC-Poseidon...essenger-Case- (through iShopInternational with 50% discount on freight currently till July 04).

Last edited by DwarkaDelhiWala : 3rd July 2016 at 09:39.
Old 3rd July 2016, 13:39   #4714
BANNED

Looks good, esp at the price. Go ahead and maybe I may even follow you. I have a Macbook Pro 13" on order. I have ordered a sleeve case both will be on the lookout for the proper shoulder bag.
Old 3rd July 2016, 22:46   #4715
Distinguished - BHPian

The workplace is funding a special request of mine for a Surface Pro 4, I hated Windows 10 instantly and rolled back to 7 on my ThinkPad. Surface 4 Pro however, has the makings of a good office tool - I can take memos down by pen, chart efficiency graphs, take quick reference notes by hand, revise documents etc. Not entirely necessary but it'd help me nonetheless. Microsoft has quickly become boiled turd with the end of Windows 7 and they've gone down the path of Mac with their new policy of "we know what's best for you". In other words from American democracy to North Korean dictatorship.

I have nothing to lose this time so I'll just try the new Surface 4 for a bit and report back. If I hate it I'll just pass it on as another office toy.
Old 3rd July 2016, 23:51   #4716
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
...I have nothing to lose this time so I'll just try the new Surface 4 for a bit and report back. If I hate it I'll just pass it on as another office toy.
Have been using it for some time. The i5, 8GB RAM, 256 GB HD version.

Great display, good battery life and a hoot to carry around. With the keyboard also acting as a good cover, it is as easy as carrying a notepad with you.

The pen - be careful with that. Though it stick well, do not lose sight of it.

The docking station weight as much, if not more, than the device itself. But must have for additional screen and ports.

If you end up doing presentations on monitors having only COM port, buy the OEM adapter. The other makes will not work properly, unless you carry your docking station as well!!!

There was an issue with non-response, which got resolved with a recent Intel update.
Old 4th July 2016, 00:07   #4717
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
The pen - be careful with that. Though it stick well, do not lose sight of it. The docking station weight as much, if not more, than the device itself. But must have for additional screen and ports.
If you end up doing presentations on monitors having only COM port, buy the OEM adapter. The other makes will not work properly, unless you carry your docking station as well!!
Good tips, thanks.. nice to know them. I assume the pen can mark & highlight any page correct? That includes emails, documents, Excel etc? Or is it only the specific writing software? I'd love to universally be able to mark, highlight stuff so that it can be looked at later. Also is there a handwriting recognition software in it?

I don't make presentations anymore but if need be I have the ThinkPad for that and everything else where laptop/typing is necessary. Docking won't be necessary either. Its basically a massively overpriced tablet but I need it because of its easy portability. Thanks once again.
Old 4th July 2016, 00:12   #4718
BHPian

Quote:
The workplace is funding a special request of mine for a Surface Pro 4, I hated Windows 10 instantly and rolled back to 7 on my ThinkPad....

I have nothing to lose this time so I'll just try the new Surface 4 for a bit and report back. If I hate it I'll just pass it on as another office toy.
Why worry when you can have lovely, fast and reliable Linux Mint 18 loaded with all the required tools out of the box on your Surface 4. Just get the S4 and install Linux mint in dual boot config by retaining Win10, you won't even need to boot into Windows unless you are bound to run only Windows by your office.
Old 4th July 2016, 10:13   #4719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good tips, thanks.. nice to know them. I assume the pen can mark & highlight any page correct? That includes emails, documents, Excel etc? Or is it only the specific writing software? I'd love to universally be able to mark, highlight stuff so that it can be looked at later. Also is there a handwriting recognition software in it?...
Mmmm.... why do you think I warned you about the pen? Ended up losing it on day 2!
Old 23rd July 2016, 16:47   #4720
BHPian

Hello Friends ,

Just got myself , the ASUS ROG Strix GL 502 Gaming Laptop .

i7 6700
16 GB RAM
Nvidia 970 m 6GB Graphics
256 GB SSD
1TB 5400 RPM HDD
Backlit keyboard

Freebie : ASUS ROG Backpack

one super machine

Was looking for something that would be futureproof , atleast for the next 2-3 years .

Cost me 1.2 lakhs

Any questions and queries from prospective buyers are most welcome . I would be more than happy to answer .
Old 23rd July 2016, 18:08   #4721
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
I have a Macbook Pro 13" on order.
Can recommend this, very light and sturdy from personal experience , have both 15inch & 12inch.

http://www.amazon.in/Thule-Gauntlet-...keywords=thule
Old 25th July 2016, 23:51   #4722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse View Post
Hello Friends ,

Just got myself , the ASUS ROG Strix GL 502 Gaming Laptop .

i7 6700
16 GB RAM
Nvidia 970 m 6GB Graphics
256 GB SSD
1TB 5400 RPM HDD
Backlit keyboard

one super machine

Was looking for something that would be futureproof , atleast for the next 2-3 years .

Cost me 1.2 lakhs

Any questions and queries from prospective buyers are most welcome . I would be more than happy to answer .
No questions but that's one hell of a laptop. I've been eyeing on one but not just yet. I still have a late 2013 15' Retina Macbook Pro that is still getting the job done, I haven't been PC gaming at all, so for my regular laptop needs and traveling it is doing more than just fine. I am looking for a replacement for it sometime next year and I will be looking at the new Macbook Pro's, Razer 2017 Line and the Asus ROG's 2017. Hopefully the windows laptops will start seeing Pascal architecture soon enough with their graphics and I'm also looking forward to an Radeon 480 line graphics for the Macbook Pro's.

That's a lot of *hopeful* features but yeah, will wait it out.
Old 27th July 2016, 03:05   #4723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse View Post
Just got myself, the ASUS ROG Strix GL 502 Gaming laptop.
i7 6700
16 GB RAM
Nvidia 970 m 6 GB Graphics
256 GB SSD
1TB 5400 RPM HDD
Cost me 1.2 lakhs
Great specs at a great price
On the lookout for a good graphics laptop with tons of RAM, mostly for GPU programming & shader stuff.
My current Dell N5010 can't even get shadertoy to render properly - in it's defense, it's more than 6 years old.
Can you mention where you got your laptop from & how heavy it is ?
That's probably the only reason I'll go for a Mac these days - they're easy to carry around !
Old 27th July 2016, 03:54   #4724
Distinguished - BHPian

Quite a few laptop deals available on Skylar processor series with 940MX, 950M and 960M GPUs (mix of 2GB and 4 GB, DDR3, DDR5 rams). I am guessing this is due to the new Pascal GPUs that are to be launched by end August.

Anyone with feedback on 950M 2GB GDDR5 vs 960M 4GB GDDR5? The latter has a better processor but the price gap is about 200$. The need is primarily to do occasional gaming but to be able to atleast play most of the FPS games in the market.
Old 27th July 2016, 04:08   #4725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Anyone with feedback on 950M 2GB GDDR5 vs 960M 4GB GDDR5? The latter has a better processor but the price gap is about 200$. The need is primarily to do occasional gaming but to be able to atleast play most of the FPS games in the market.
960M is better in the gaming department.

Compare the benchmarks between the two at here: http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-...Force-GTX-950M

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks