Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2017, 08:56   #4876
BHPian

Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_chn View Post
@agambhandari and @mkv

Thank you so much for your suggestions.

I went to the store this evening to return and exchange the laptop. I requested for i3/i5 5th gen laptops as per advices. The dealer says the ones available online would not be available in stores and price seems to be higher due to taxes. I just took a cash voucher from him and returned back to check for other options.
Suggest you go and insist on i3/i5 laptop. This is a trick used by retailers - sell you a defective laptop after taking your money and then you are a captive customer who now is at his mercy.

Play nice with him and get him to return your money. Keep insisting on something he cannot supply. Say you don't want to buy anything else. Don't try for exchange or upgrade with him. He has an upper hand now.

If all else fails tell him he sold a defective piece and so you want your money back. Use this http://www.ccrc.in/

Which city and which retailer is this?
Old 27th March 2017, 14:57   #4877
BHPian

I am also looking out for a laptop for home use, the question to experts is do the makers like Dell, Lenovo, HP honour the warranty terms for online purchased laptops?

Heard couple of bad experiences from buyers of online cameras.
Old 27th March 2017, 20:41   #4878
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Suggest you go and insist on i3/i5 laptop. This is a trick used by retailers - sell you a defective laptop after taking your money and then you are a captive customer who now is at his mercy.

Play nice with him and get him to return your money. Keep insisting on something he cannot supply. Say you don't want to buy anything else. Don't try for exchange or upgrade with him. He has an upper hand now.

If all else fails tell him he sold a defective piece and so you want your money back. Use this http://www.ccrc.in/

Which city and which retailer is this?
The retailer is from Chennai and direct lenovo outlet.
Old 27th March 2017, 21:08   #4879
BHPian

Quote:
The retailer is from Chennai and direct lenovo outlet.
OK - I think you should try to insist on a cash refund first, this will get you better bargaining power. You may have to use creative talk to get your money back. Take a friend along as these retailers have good experience dealing with customers who want their money back and have dozens of ready made excuses not to return your money. A friend can help you argue and come up with alternative arguments.

Worst case insist and get a laptop with i3/i5 - but this means you may not get the best deal.
Old 28th March 2017, 11:52   #4880
BHPian

All those searching for laptops, tablets, etc, here is a nice tool

http://www.productchart.com/laptops/
Old 12th April 2017, 15:13   #4881
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
OK - I think you should try to insist on a cash refund first, this will get you better bargaining power. You may have to use creative talk to get your money back. Take a friend along as these retailers have good experience dealing with customers who want their money back and have dozens of ready made excuses not to return your money. A friend can help you argue and come up with alternative arguments.

Worst case insist and get a laptop with i3/i5 - but this means you may not get the best deal.
@mvadg - My apologies for the delayed response. Thank you for all the suggestions

In a nutshell I was given a new piece of the laptop I had purchased initially. I just cannot forget the buying experience of this particular laptop. Still, if I ever purchase another laptop it will be a Lenovo. Reason? The service and correspondences were excellent.

I had written an email to lenovo from where a manager/solution expert was in constant touch with me. They even took the dealer into conference when I said the dealer would not response to me. Though I was willing to pay the extra bucks for an i3/i5 I just could not find a good decent config/piece.

When things were getting delayed I recollected your post and demanded a refund. The dealer showed me proof that he had ordered fresh pieces of this AMD and it has to come from MUM.

And finally I received the replacement laptop. I thoroughly checked it at the store, came back home and did a clean install of Win 10. All good so far. The turbo works decently and no heating issues thus far.

Thank you again for those responses.
Old 14th April 2017, 13:20   #4882
BHPian

Quote:

And finally I received the replacement laptop. I thoroughly checked it at the store, came back home and did a clean install of Win 10. All good so far. The turbo works decently and no heating issues thus far.

Thank you again for those responses.
You can count on Lenovo for good support. All's well that ends well!
Old 28th April 2017, 22:01   #4883
Senior - BHPian

Guys I need a fast and powerful laptop for business use. I'm looking at the dell and Lenovo thinkpad series. What do you guys suggest?
I'm thinking i7 seventh generation. 8gb of ram minimum and a 1tb hard disc.
The dell guys are vague at best, some suggesting that the latitude is not available in 7th Gen processors. But have a reputation of being extremely dependable laptops.
Old 2nd May 2017, 16:45   #4884
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Guys I need a fast and powerful laptop for business use. I'm looking at the dell and Lenovo thinkpad series. What do you guys suggest?
I'm thinking i7 seventh generation. 8gb of ram minimum and a 1tb hard disc.
The dell guys are vague at best, some suggesting that the latitude is not available in 7th Gen processors. But have a reputation of being extremely dependable laptops.
Rather than just going for the latest generation, i would suggest look at the number of cores. 6th and 7 th gen barely have 5 percent difference in performance in comparable models, but if you get a quad core laptop that would be much more powerful then the common dual core ones. Though the battery life may not be as good.

Yes the Lenovo thinkpad and dell latitude would be your best bet. I would suggest checking out each at a store if possible.( i think the lenovo should be easier since dell doesn't sell a lot of latitudes)

If you've got a great Budget, I would suggest dell XPS 15 or the comparable Precision workstation model(a higher business series than latitude)
Old 19th May 2017, 13:37   #4885
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Dell's outstanding support is the reason I'm loyal to them. They offer 4 hour support to business users and I've seen them stick to it most of the time. Can't afford downtime with my primary computer.

My Latitude has been working like a charm since 3.5 years. Recently noticed that the rubber lining around the display has started peeling off. Since I have a 5-year warranty, I created a support ticket. Just received a call that lasted all of 2 minutes; "yes sir, it looks like a manufacturing defect. When would you like an engineer to come over & replace it?" .
Old 19th May 2017, 14:03   #4886
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

I Latitude comparable to a thinkpad in durability etc? Which Latitude - 3000, 5000 or 7000 or some other series? I heard that it's the XPS which is comparable to the Thinkpad, in which case, a thinkpad is better because I think it's cheaper than the XPS.
Old 19th May 2017, 14:12   #4887
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Recently noticed that the rubber lining around the display has started peeling off.
This rubber lining peeling is a such a common problem with latitude laptops that 100% of over 3 year old laptops I have seen have the rubber lining peeling off. And in my previous organisation, every one had these with rubber dangling around.

Quote:
Dell's outstanding support is the reason I'm loyal to them.
While the support is definitely responsive and prompt, many a times, the authorised vendors who handle these requests can botch up the case. Also, Dell actually replaces damaged part with refurbished parts and not new ones. When my new laptop had its motherboard replaced with a refurbished one, it left me a bit skeptic about the fate of the machine in future.
Old 20th May 2017, 00:42   #4888
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I Latitude comparable to a thinkpad in durability etc? Which Latitude - 3000, 5000 or 7000 or some other series? I heard that it's the XPS which is comparable to the Thinkpad, in which case, a thinkpad is better because I think it's cheaper than the XPS.
I think I wasn't specific enough. The Thinkpad T series, especially the T460 and the yet to be launched T470 with dual battery setups and latitude type testing for robustness is the one I was considering. Pitting it against the Latitude 5480 and 7480. Don't know their prices yet. Haven't even looked up international prices.
Latitude is not officially available in Dehradun as the distributor has left its business.
The Lenovo guys are no where to be found and other dealers have no idea about the T series.
I've also been told that my usage can also be taken care of by Apple MacBook pros. The current models have very high price.
I would probably be travelling to Delhi tomorrow for 2 days. Would look for options to pick off the shelf.
Would love to know of any good dealers for Dell Latitude, Lenovo Thinkpad T series, Apple MacBook pro previous gens.
Old 27th May 2017, 15:10   #4889
Senior - BHPian

Getting a laptop for the US. Primarily with be used for internet, 3D design and very light gaming. Need to get a laptop with a good GPU for the same.

Zeroed in on the Alienware 15 R3.
Getting 16 GB RAM, Nvidia 1060 with 6 GB, SSD + 1 TB HDD, Full HD Screen etc etc.

Confused in between Alienware AW15R3-7338SLV and Alienware AW15R3-3831SLV.

As far as I understand, they have the same specs apart from :

1) i7 6th Gen 6700HQ vs. i7 7th Gen 7700HQ
2) 128 GB SSD vs 256 GB SSD (Not a concern to me)

and a difference of 270 USD (Rs. 18000) on amazon.com.

So, will it be stupid of me to pick up the laptop with a 6th Gen i7? Is the extra 270 USD (Rs. 18000) worth it?
Old 28th May 2017, 10:51   #4890
Senior - BHPian

See if you can get the 7th Generation I7 with 128GB SSD that should bring the price down a bit. Also see if you can upgrade the HDD to 2TB, as 3D design will need a lot of storage space.

Most Viewed