Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2017, 19:52   #4891
Senior - BHPian

Got a Asus R-Series R558UR-DM125D 15.6-inch Laptop (Core i5-6200U/4GB DDR4/1TB/DOS/2GB Graphics Nvidia GeForce GT 930MX dedicated graphics, USB Type C (3.1) port), 15.6 inch full HD LED, for my son doing engineering, from Amazon @39,263/-. Added 4 GB more Crucial DDR4, again from Amazon @2300, Total now 8GB. Got original Windows 10 Pro from digitalcodes.in @1499/-. The machine is a beast now with boot up time in 25 seconds and that too without a SSD.

The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-1495980887461.jpg

The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-1495980903125.jpg

The only cons I can see is a lack of backlit keyboard, but then at a sub 40k price point, it's giving me everything else.

Seeing this quality, contemplating a Asus ZenBook 3 for myself, either a UX330UA from Amazon, US or a UX310UQ from Amazon India, both in the vicinity of 70k landed. These are XPS and MacBook killers with solid aluminum build and diamond cut chamfered edges.

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 28th May 2017 at 19:55.
Old 28th May 2017, 22:41   #4892
BHPian

Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Got original Windows 10 Pro from digitalcodes.in @1499/-.
Is this a genuine licence that you bought from this site?
Old 28th May 2017, 22:46   #4893
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumare View Post
Is this a genuine licence that you bought from this site?
Seems so. I too was skeptical in the beginning but it is the first site listed by Google Ads on searching for 'Buy original Windows 10' and after talking to its authorised person on chat, I was convinced. It worked like a charm and Windows activated perfectly. Only thing is you need to download the 3 GB iso file from Microsoft.com. They only provide the activation code.

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 28th May 2017 at 22:49.
Old 29th May 2017, 06:08   #4894
Distinguished - BHPian

@dkaile IMHO for an engineering student loading Linux would have been better leaning.

SSD would have given this product a turbo boost. Is the machine you're contemplating having SSD?
Old 29th May 2017, 07:15   #4895
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
@dkaile IMHO for an engineering student loading Linux would have been better leaning.

SSD would have given this product a turbo boost. Is the machine you're contemplating having SSD?
Linux can be added as a Dual Boot. All zenbooks are SSD based only. The one I ordered comes with both a SSD and a hard disk and comes with a upgradable ram, ssd and hdd, giving me flexibility.

_______

I ordered the Asus Zenbook 3 for myself yesterday from Amazon -
Model - Asus ZenBook UX310UQ-GL477T (Core i5 7200-7th Gen), 4GB DDR4 2133, 128GB SSD+1TB HDD, NV GT 940MX 2G DDR3, 13,3 FHD IPS Screen, WIndows 10, Backlit Keyboard, USB Type C (3.1) and 3) 2 Year Warranty. 18mm thick, 1.4 kg with 9 hour battery life @71990/-

Also ordered a additional 8 gigs of DDR4 ram to take total ram upto 12GB (expandable upto 16gb ) @4100/-

I also considered the new Dell Inspiron 7560 @80k (with ssd) but as I wanted a powerful ultrabook went with the ZenBook 3.

The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-1496022306756.jpg

Asus site - http://www.asus.com/Commercial-Lapto...nbook-UX310UQ/

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 29th May 2017 at 07:35.
Old 30th May 2017, 00:26   #4896
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
See if you can get the 7th Generation I7 with 128GB SSD that should bring the price down a bit. Also see if you can upgrade the HDD to 2TB, as 3D design will need a lot of storage space.
Thanks for your reply.

My question is , is the i7 7700 worth Rs. 15000 more than i7 6700 in your opinion?
Old 30th May 2017, 01:20   #4897
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Thanks for your reply.

My question is , is the i7 7700 worth Rs. 15000 more than i7 6700 in your opinion?

The actual raw performance difference between the 2 processors is a little over 10 percent.
If the tasks you perform are GPU intensive, and CPU does not run at full blast anyway, then the higher pricing is an absolute waste since you mention that the larger SSD does not matter.
Id prefer keeping all ongoing work on an SSD since it reduces a lot of I/O time : the newer one is a better package deal that way.

To add to your confusion, may I add another device?
The new HP omen can be had with the 7700HQ, 6GB 1060,128GB SSD+ 1TB and a 17 inch 4k display for 1450: all of this in a chassis of the same size and lighter than the alienware, but looses out on the build quality.
A friend has the 1050ti 12GB ram 15 inch spec and is in love with it

Another one is the MSI Dominator Pro in both 15/17 inch spec.
15 incher with 7700HQ,16gb, 1060, 256gb ssd + 1tb disk can be found for under 1500 while the equivalent 17 incher would cost around 1650

Id honestly pick the MSI over the alienware, since I have been seeing a lot of complaints regarding heating/cooling lately(alienware)
Old 30th May 2017, 08:04   #4898
Team-BHP Support

After working with me for almost six years, my MacBook Pro 17" stopped working just two days before an outstation shoot. Apple service cannot help anyway as parts are not available anymore.

Since Apple don't make 17" anymore (I suppose nobody makes Except Dell Alienware), new member came home with a smaller screen 15.4" size.

Pretty nice machine and only with USB-c slots.

Specification:
2.7GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz, with 8MB shared L3 cache
Storage - 512GB PCIe-based onboard SSD
Memory - 16GB of 2133MHz LPDDR3 onboard
Graphics - Radeon Pro 455 with 2GB of GDDR5 memory and automatic graphics switching Intel HD Graphics 530
Charging and expansion - Four Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports with support for: Charging/Display Port/Thunderbolt (up to 40 Gbps)/USB 3.1 Gen 2 (up to 10 Gbps)

The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-ld0004005787_2_0004011752.jpeg
Old 30th May 2017, 17:15   #4899
BHPian

I am looking for the replacement of my 7 year old Dell Studio 15 laptop. It would be used mostly for internet, watching movies, gaming and for my photo editing software.
After going through the product list of HP and Dell, shortlisted on HP Pavilion - 15-au114tx and Dell Inspiron 15 5000 Series. Both are in the similar price range and specs but Dell has some additions such as 2TB HD and FHD display.
Can someone please share your expert views?
Old 2nd June 2017, 12:28   #4900
Senior - BHPian

Got my Asus Zenbook 3 as per my previous post above. Model - UX310UQ-GL477T

My Review of the UltraBook on Amazon -

Quote:
WORK OF ART

What a fantastic piece of aluminum art. Boot time is less than 8 seconds on the stock on-board 4GB ram. I do not know what will be the case after I install the additional 8GB DDR4 ram, which is on the way. Although there is no separate ram module bay cover and I will need to open the entire back cover to access the RAM bay, which looks pretty simple as per the YouTube videos I have seen. BTW this is the only Zenbook 3 model in which you can easily upgrade all 3 critical items like the SATA HDD, m.2 SSD and the RAM upto 16 GB. Fantastic! The The Rose Gold color is very hard to capture in the photos I have attached and neither can you assess the fantastic build quality in these photos. The keyboard is backlit with 3 levels of brightness and with a option to even turn the backlight off. Also the screen has a ambient light sensor a.k.a. our modern smart phones, which can be turned off or on. The GLASS trackpad needs adjustment to your preferred level and I slowed it down 2 levels to suit my style. First thing to do to make the trackpad perfect is to go into Settings - Devices - Trackpad - and set the tap delay to No delay (or Highest Sensitivity after Windows updates itself). It was set to medium delay by Windows default and that is what caused many grouses on online reviews of the Zenbook 3. After this the trackpad becomes absolute snappy. The keyboard is also quite good to type on. There is a Caps Lock indicator, however I miss the HDD activity light but then that is hardly needed due to the speed with which it accesses the SSD. Edit : I added a small free utility Tray Status which added a HDD activity light to the status bar, pretty neat app. I have put all data on the 1 TB HDD to keep the 128 GB SSD snappy. The screen is quite immersive and brilliant though I was expecting even better. I would have liked to see a Thunderbolt port for future proofing the product all together but right now even USB C seems sufficient. The speakers are tinny although clarity from the Harman Kardom is great. The webcam is average for such laptops though in well lit room it's good. This comes with Core i5 7th gen Kaby Lake 7200 processor and Nvidia 940MX 2GB dedicated graphics. The screen panel seems to have improved from previous versions TN panels coming with the 6th gen processors and the viewing angles are great though I am still not 100% sure if it's a IPS panel as claimed by the seller. Both the other USB ports should also have been USB 3 in today's day and age, so that leaves us with only 1 USB 3.0 and one USB C (3.1) which also have VGA display output capability with a 100 Rs adapter cable. The HDMI is a full sized one and not a mini. A regular sized SD card sticks out quite a bit (photo attached). The touch pad is chrome ringed.

MRP on the box is same as what I paid for it i.e. 71990/-. That makes me expect a better price but no regrets as it is a fantastic paisa vasool laptop for the build quality alone. An Apple MacBook would nowhere come near to this hardware specs at this price range with such build quality. It's manufactured in March 2017, so absolutely fresh off the block. I would have liked it better if the included sleeve/case was in leather.

Finally, Just go for it blindfold because the ZenBook 4 models just introduced 2 days back will loose most ports and cost almost 50k more.
These photos have nowhere been able to capture either the true Rose Gold color (it is looking silver in these photos but has a subtle tint of pink gold in person) or the fantastic build quality which can only be felt by holding it in hand -

The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-asus-zenbook-3_1.jpg

The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-asus-zenbook-3_3.jpg

The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-asus-zenbook-3_4.jpg

The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-asus-zenbook-3_5.jpg

The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-asus-zenbook-3_6.jpg

The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-asus-zenbook-3_7.jpg

The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-asus-zenbook-3_8.jpg

The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-asus-zenbook-3_9.jpg

The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-asus-zenbook-3_10.jpg

The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-asus-zenbook-3_2.jpg

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 2nd June 2017 at 12:32.
Old 5th June 2017, 14:45   #4901
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Unbelievable, just unbelievable what an SSD can do to your laptop.

The hybrid hard-drive of my Latitude (4.xx years) was going to go soon. Some signs came up and a Dell checkup confirmed that it's on the way out. Rather than being stranded on a working day, I thought of replacing the drive. Ordered a 500 gig SSD on Amazon.

Backed up my laptop using Acronis (USE IT - the software is too good), inserted the new SSD in the laptop and started the Acronis restore. It took about 2 hours to load back all the data, software, settings etc. In just 2 hours, my laptop was EXACTLY how it was earlier.

The SSD has made the laptop blazing fast (20 second boot on Windows 7 with a whole lot of programs set up to auto-start on boot - used to take close to a minute earlier). I wasn't that sure about the performance improvement as it had a hybrid-ssd before, but the difference is like jumping from a Polo 1.2 MPI to a 1.2 TSI.

Last edited by GTO : 5th June 2017 at 15:03.
Old 5th June 2017, 15:26   #4902
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Unbelievable, just unbelievable what an SSD can do to your laptop.
Yup. Opening and closing programs are super fast, and the flexibility you get with handling big files is totally worth it.

My first personal experience of SSD was with the macbook pro, immediately after that, got my Toshiba (windows) changed to SSD - What a change!

Nowadays, I recommend ONLY SSD to all who buy laptops or upgrade storage.
Old 6th June 2017, 06:13   #4903
Senior - BHPian

My first attempt at a unboxing video of the Asus Zenbook 3 UX310UQ-GL477T. Please don't laugh too much at a few slip of the tongues... Lolz. Everybody can't be MKBHD.

Cheers...

PS - Shot and produced entirely on my Samsung Galaxy S 7 Edge without the intervention of a PC. Post processing done on the Android app Power Director (paid).

Last edited by dkaile : 6th June 2017 at 06:18.
Old 6th June 2017, 10:12   #4904
Senior - BHPian

And here's the RAM Upgrade Video for this Asus ZenBook 3 UX310UQ from your very own TeamBhp's 'Harley Baba'... Lolz -

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 6th June 2017 at 10:13.
Old 6th June 2017, 11:26   #4905
BANNED

I am looking for a i5 or higher Laptop with 500GB SSD, and Windows. Even 4GB RAM will do, but the more the merrier. Any suggestions!

Most Viewed