Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2018, 16:24   #5221
BHPian

Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
The laptop is under warranty - I don't want to open and tinker with it.
Sorry, I missed the "3 month old part".
A range extender is the alternative then, I am using a TP-Link TL-WA850RE for the other devices.

Quote:
Plus your link is broken.
Try this:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Bran...3a994c4d0xGIgJ
Old 21st November 2018, 16:30   #5222
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by francis_vaz View Post
A range extender is the alternative then, I am using a TP-Link TL-WA850RE for the other devices.

I am thinking of this one - https://www.amazon.in/Netgear-WN3000...dp/B004XACSV2/

This should do the job, right?
Old 21st November 2018, 16:40   #5223
BHPian

Quote:
I am thinking of this one - https://www.amazon.in/Netgear-WN3000...dp/B004XACSV2/

This should do the job, right?
Yep it will work, but this and the tplink one I mentioned will only repeat your 2.4GHz signal and not 5GHz.
If you want both 2.4 and 5 GHz than go for a dual band type like this one:

Netgear EX3110 AC750 WiFi Range Extender (White) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07B1B2CZT/..._pZt9BbNJZCH3W

EDIT: TP-Link offers three years warranty and Netgear offers only two years, so check that as well.

Last edited by francis_vaz : 21st November 2018 at 16:47.
Old 21st November 2018, 17:27   #5224
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by francis_vaz View Post
Yep it will work, but this and the tplink one I mentioned will only repeat your 2.4GHz signal and not 5GHz.
If you want both 2.4 and 5 GHz than go for a dual band type like this one:

My router is this - https://www.tp-link.com/in/products/...TL-WR841N.html

I think it's only 2.4 - so the cheaper one should be good enough.
Old 21st November 2018, 17:30   #5225
BHPian

Quote:
My router is this - https://www.tp-link.com/in/products/...TL-WR841N.html

I think it's only 2.4 - so the cheaper one should be good enough.
Yes any single band repeater will work either Netgear or TP-Link.
Old 25th November 2018, 20:47   #5226
BHPian

How do MSI laptops fare generally? I'm planning to buy one and I have no past experience with them. Except the pricing, the only advantage I find is the 2 year manufacturer warranty ( most others have 1 year). I'm looking at the 8th gen i5(8300H) models in the GL and GF series.

Im open to all brands except lenovo and dell (have had enough). Reliability is a concern.
Old 27th November 2018, 11:40   #5227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
I'm not sure of the budget range you are looking at, but I will suggest you to opt for the Dell Precision range of laptops. They are available in 15 and 17 inch configs with processors ranging from quad core i5 U to i7 HQ and xeon E3s at the top. The 7000 series ones especially have the better processors.
I am currently looking for a laptop to be used for software development. One option is Dell Latitude 7490. Another option is Dell Precision 7530 having any one of the three(i7 hexacore, or Xeon hexacore, or i9 hexacore). Would appreciate feedback if anyone has actively used Dell Precision. Thanks!
Old 27th November 2018, 11:56   #5228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
I am currently looking for a laptop to be used for software development. One option is Dell Latitude 7490. Another option is Dell Precision 7530 having any one of the three(i7 hexacore, or Xeon hexacore, or i9 hexacore). Would appreciate feedback if anyone has actively used Dell Precision. Thanks!
Haven't used latest Precision per se, but have spent some time with older Precision series.

The Latitude is 14 inch while the precision is 15.6 inch. If you opt for the Latitude, ensure that you get the 8th gen processors. Precision comes with lot more internal space (upto 3 hard disks) and more powerful processors and graphics card. But the size is a downer.

If portability and on the go work is more, I recommend the Latitude. But if you will be primarily using it on a desk (home or office), the Precision offers much more better specs.

Hope this it helps.
Old 27th November 2018, 15:02   #5229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
But the size is a downer.

If portability and on the go work is more, I recommend the Latitude.

Thanks for your inputs! Yeah portablility is a concern but the specifications of Precision are quite good. Any feed back on the latest i7/Xeon/i9 Hexacore processors?

Last option would be to wait another 6 months for Intel to release their 9th gen processors and get a Latitude with i7 Octacore.
Old 30th November 2018, 19:12   #5230
BHPian

Guys I have to get a new laptop since my office laptop, a Dell Inspiron 5000 series got stolen. The office is funding the replacement for the lost laptop. The laptop I was using was 2.5 years old and was working on AC power only. The battery or something went kaput and the laptop was not recognising the battery.

My budget is 60K and I am open to suggestions. I have looked at Dell, HP & Lenovo but cannot decide what to get.

My primary usage is MS Office, emails, general browsing, streaming videos, photoshop and AutoCAD. This laptop will not be used for gaming. Apart from AutoCAD and Photoshop I do not use any other heavy applications.

My budget is 60K but I am not averse to buying a laptop in 40 to 50 range also. Please help me out!
Old 30th November 2018, 20:30   #5231
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yusha View Post

My budget is 60K and I am open to suggestions. I have looked at Dell, HP & Lenovo but cannot decide what to get.
Couple of months back, I got the Dell 5370 from Reliance Digital for 58,500 Rs - that's the cheapest price I could find anywhere. It's i5 with 8GB (with a spare slot to upgrade to 16GB if needed). It also comes with 256GB SSD. It's blazing fast. I also got the extended warranty from Dell directly for 4000 Rs odd.
Old 1st December 2018, 07:46   #5232
Senior - BHPian

This is a software post, but just something I did recently and I don't know where else to post it. TL;DR Wise Disk Cleaner rocks to recover disk space used up by Windows updates.

My personal laptop has a 110GB SSD. OVer time, with all the windows update and other software installation, this had filled up totally. To the tune of only 200MB left.

I was annoyed because Windows Cleanup only freed up 200 MB more space, while WinDirstat showed me that the Windows directory had gigabytes of data used up in non-system folders (primarily updates).
I tried three softwares:
  • CCleaner - This is the non-nagging old version but it could find only another 100MB free.
  • BleachBit - This is open source but again, barely helped me cross a total of 800MB free.
  • Wise Disk Cleaner - This is the real thing. I allowed it to deep clean everything and now my C drive has 16.6GB free. Basically the Windows directory is rid of all old update files.
Old 1st December 2018, 17:18   #5233
BHPian

Thanks! Will check it out.
Old 2nd December 2018, 10:13   #5234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I was annoyed because Windows Cleanup only freed up 200 MB more space, while WinDirstat showed me that the Windows directory had gigabytes of data used up in non-system folders (primarily updates).
I tried three softwares:
  • CCleaner - This is the non-nagging old version but it could find only another 100MB free.
  • BleachBit - This is open source but again, barely helped me cross a total of 800MB free.
  • Wise Disk Cleaner - This is the real thing. I allowed it to deep clean everything and now my C drive has 16.6GB free. Basically the Windows directory is rid of all old update files.
Did you check the "Cleanup system files" option in the disk cleanup menu?
It offers the same functionality and helps you remove windows update files and also the recovery files which are saved during upgrade.
These files can eat up to 20GB of space and it is recommend to delete those files after the update only if you don't want to revert back to the previous update.
Adding some screenshots below; check the amount of trash cleared in the images below.
The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-1.jpg

The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-3.jpg

Last edited by francis_vaz : 2nd December 2018 at 10:18.
Old 3rd December 2018, 00:09   #5235
Distinguished - BHPian

Sold my 3 year old laptop today via Cashify. Managed a 7K since I opted for Amazon gift card. The process is seamless - created an order in the site yesterday and selected pick up today evening. Got a call yesterday itself confirming pick up time today.

The guy came and checked certain parameters - I had accidentally selected i5 instead of i3; so the new quote was 1600/- less leading to 7K. The transaction was quick and I got the gift card details within 2 mins and added it to my Amazon Pay.

The laptop was in very good shape except for some keys not working ( for past two days ). Now the laptop boots up as soon as the power cable is plugged in (from today) and I have a hunch more issues are on the way. Planning to pick up a light weight, heavy configuration this time, for photo & video editing. Anything with at least 8GB ram. Kind of leaning towards the Mac Air, let's see but.

PS: Please keep checking for the quote almost for a week, everyday. The same config, I had seen 8K and a 5.6K as well over the last 1 week. Once you know the range, execute when it's a good price.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 3rd December 2018 at 00:12.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks