Team-BHP - The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/67390-laptop-thread-configs-deals-questions-355.html)

Just ordered the Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Series-7590

- 9th Generation Intel Core i5-9300H (8MB Cache, up to 4.1 GHz, 4 cores)
- Windows 10 Home (64 Bit)
- 3 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
- 15,6 Inch Display, FHD (1.920 x 1.080), LED Backlight, No Touchfunktion, WVA-Display
- 8 GB, 1 x 8 GB, DDR4, 2.666 MHz
- M.2-PCIe-NVMe-SSD 256 GB
- 3-Cell 56 Wh, Integrated battery
- PLMRST for Abyss cover with finger print (I have no idea what this is)

I think it is similar to the Vostro 7590 series. It cost me, 820 euros in Germany. RoE is 80 rupees.

There are some good deals on flipkart right now, and I've decided to go for a gaming laptop as they're well specced compared to regular counter parts. Can anyone enlighten me on the difference between the i3 9300h and i7 9750h? I know that one's quad core and the other's hexa core, but how much difference will there be in real world usage?

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaidhiR (Post 4641798)

- 9th Generation Intel Core i5-9300H (8MB Cache, up to 4.1 GHz, 4 cores)
- Windows 10 Home (64 Bit)
- 3 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
- 15,6 Inch Display, FHD (1.920 x 1.080), LED Backlight, No Touchfunktion, WVA-Display
- 8 GB, 1 x 8 GB, DDR4, 2.666 MHz
- M.2-PCIe-NVMe-SSD 256 GB
- 3-Cell 56 Wh, Integrated battery
- PLMRST for Abyss cover with finger print (I have no idea what this is)

I think it is similar to the Vostro 7590 series. It cost me, 820 euros in Germany. RoE is 80 rupees.

Nice laptop! I do feel like it is a little expensive for the configuration though. Here is something I found on a popular Benelux website: https://www.bol.com/nl/p/hp-omen-15-...7.ProductTitle

Quote:

Originally Posted by hrk997 (Post 4642379)
Can anyone enlighten me on the difference between the i3 9300h and i7 9750h? I know that one's quad core and the other's hexa core, but how much difference will there be in real world usage?

Here you go :)

Quote:

Specs overview:
These CPUs are built on the same 14nm architecture and use the same amount of power – 45W. However, the Core i7-9750H has six cores (twelve threads), while the Core i5-9300H is equipped with four cores (eight threads). Additionally, the Core i7 works at 2.60 GHz Base frequency and is able to reach up to 4.50 GHz in Turbo mode. Its competitor has a slightly lower Base clock speed – 2.40 GHz, and even further lower Turbo of 4.10 GHz. Moreover, the Core i7-9750H has 12 MB of Cache, whereas the Core i5-9300H is equipped with 8 MB.
On the iGPU side, both of them feature the Intel UHD Graphics 630, although the Core i7-9750H utilizes it at a slightly greater level, being able to push it with 100 MHz more.

Benchmarks:
Expectedly, the Core i7-9750H obliviated its competitor in the synthetic benchmarks.

Conclusion:
If we take in mind only the pure performance output – the Core i7-9750H is the clear winner – it is nearly 50% better than the Core i5-9300H. Despite that, there is still a huge market in front of the Core i5-9300H. Not only it is cheaper than its counterpart, but it produces less heat and in gameplay, there should hardly be any difference between the two, especially if you are not streaming.
Source

Cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joxster (Post 4642407)
Nice laptop! I do feel like it is a little expensive for the configuration though.

I will be going back to school (studying on the weekends) and I wanted a laptop thats light weight and a decent battery life. I only considered a few of them..

Dell XPS 13
Dell Inspiron 15
Macbook air
Lenovo Thinkpad
Lenovo Ideapad
HP some model

As I had a 13 inch laptop Dell before, I was happy with Dell. I wanted a full keyboard with numberpad. And hence the Inspiron 15. And the latest 7590 model.

The OVP was 949 Euros. It was reduced to 849 because of a student offer. And I had a 30 Euro gift coupon from Dell. Is that really expensive? I am not a good judge of this. But considering the spec, I felt it was good.

Right now I have a 5+ year old 15 inch Macbook Pro with:

2.5 Ghz I7
16 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3 memory
500 GB Solid State H.D. which is way more than I use.

I need a new one as this one keeps coming up lame. Replaced the battery, replaced the 7100 rupee power adapter, replaced a fan and now have no sound. Will probably have to replace the audio board.

I am looking for a ROBUST laptop that will hang together for a few years and take a little abuse, temperature-wise and travel-wise. I need a tough-fast pickup truck of a laptop. I am not a microsoft bigot or an Apple bigot....just want a good machine. 1.5 lakh would be okay. I can go more but you will probably hear me scream out in agony as we approach 2.0 lakh.

Any recommendations? Getting service is a factor.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaidhiR (Post 4643003)
The OVP was 949 Euros. It was reduced to 849 because of a student offer. And I had a 30 Euro gift coupon from Dell. Is that really expensive? I am not a good judge of this. But considering the spec, I felt it was good.

A good deal is what you feel was worth your money, and that's all that matters! :)

Since you ask about whether it was expensive, let me say that you could have gotten similar specs from another laptop OEM for about 100 euros less.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyDan (Post 4643066)
I am looking for a ROBUST laptop that will hang together for a few years and take a little abuse, temperature-wise and travel-wise. I need a tough-fast pickup truck of a laptop. I am not a microsoft bigot or an Apple bigot....just want a good machine. 1.5 lakh would be okay. I can go more but you will probably hear me scream out in agony as we approach 2.0 lakh.

Any recommendations? Getting service is a factor.

Maybe check out the Lenovo X1 series. Something like this: https://www.amazon.in/Lenovo-ThinkPa...mputers&sr=1-3

Cheers

I was looking at all the prices on flipkart and Amazon, when I decided to look at the Lenovo website, to check the specs and prices of the legion y540. I had always noticed an inconsistency in laptop pricings, but today realized that there are some questionable practices going on. You see, the MRP for a particular model was listed on Amazon as 1.75L and with discounts, came to 1.23L. Seemed like a tremendous bargain, and after checking out the Lenovo website as well as calling the dealership, I found out that the exact model was 1.25L, implying a discount of 2000 bucks. There was also a lesser specced model which was available for a higher price. Needless to say, I'm highly skeptical of buying online now. Can anyone tell me where I could find acer and asus laptops sold in store? I've finalized on the hellos 300 and y540, but would like to look at both the models before purchase. There are Lenovo showrooms nearby, but I'm unaware of where to check out asus and acer laptops.

Any recommended references for laptop rentals in Bangalore ? A friend is looking for a rental machine for about 1-2 months of usage having minimum config of i5 processor, 8GB RAM and 500 GB Hard Disk.

I am looking for a Laptop for my regular work (not a game lover) like email/surfing, etc. (usually spend almost 8/9 hours daily).

I heard that Ryzen 5 2500U processor is good comparing icore 3 7th gen. In fact, I wanted a LT with Backlit keyboard, but it seems expensive to get this feature

My budget is around Rs.30/32000 and I have shortlisted this one: HP 15q Dy 0008au

Any other suggestions, guys?

Quote:

Originally Posted by nairrk (Post 4660188)
I am looking for a Laptop for my regular work (not a game lover) like email/surfing, etc. (usually spend almost 8/9 hours daily).

My budget is around Rs.30/32000 and I have shortlisted this one: HP 15q Dy 0008au

Your shortlisted laptop doesn't seem to have the minimum 802.11 AC wifi mode. Now that Wifi 6 802.11 AX is officially announced, you will have slow connectivity issues. My aging Toshiba Laptop has built-in wifi that works with 802.11AC. You will notice the difference when connecting to a NFS and transferring large files.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prowler (Post 4661324)
Your shortlisted laptop doesn't seem to have the minimum 802.11 AC wifi mode. Now that Wifi 6 802.11 AX is officially announced, you will have slow connectivity issues. My aging Toshiba Laptop has built-in wifi that works with 802.11AC. You will notice the difference when connecting to a NFS and transferring large files.

Thanks for your input. Yes 802.11AC not mentioned in the description.

I am also comparing following models:

Asus Vivobook 15X512DA-EJ449T

Asus Vivobook 14 X412DA-EK141T

Pleased hear your comments.

In the meanwhile anyone heard about an online dealer called ''Asuskart.com'' (it seems they have an office in Bangalore and they are direct sellers of Asus Laptops). Their rates are much cheaper than other online dealers ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaidhiR (Post 4641798)

How are you coping with the German keyboard? I guess you can enable the US keyboard and then mentally map the keys. Like Z for where we have Y etc.

For whatever reason, compared with UK or US, laptops in India are now vastly more expensive, offer fewer or nil customisations, and are hardly equipped with the latest (example performance i7/i9, 4K screens, IPS, etc).

Quote:

Originally Posted by vasudeva (Post 4664539)
For whatever reason, compared with UK or US, laptops in India are now vastly more expensive, offer fewer or nil customisations, and are hardly equipped with the latest (example performance i7/i9, 4K screens, IPS, etc).

True, you still get the best deal in the US for PCs. India used to be crazy expensive. It had come down a lot a few years ago but has gone up again by a fair bit after GST I think. Prices of good hardware is often double the cost of the US especially at the higher gaming end. The low end also has very poorly specced products in the 25-50k range.

It used to be better earlier with high spec CPU and other hardware available. Now one must spend 1.5-2 lakh for 2nd grade specs with no customisation. Consider this for Dec 2016 when I got a HP Pavilion 17.3 4K from US for $1200 (80-82K at then $ rate).

1. core i7-6700HQ (used to be high end laptop CPU)
2. Nvidia gtx 960/965m
3. 8GB DDR4
4. 17 inch 4k IPS screen
5. 128 GB M2 SSD+1TB disk
6. other usual stuff.

For 50-75 K, one gets i5 or non IPS FHD screen etc. Perhaps 4K on laptop has gone out of fashion but it does make fonts sharper and clearer. The i7 available is basically the entry level ones.