Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2019, 14:20   #5341

Re: PC & Console games - Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrk997 View Post
Suggestions please?
The best laptop currently under the 1L price tag is undoubtedly the Acer Predator Helios 300.
It is offered with the GTX 1660Ti, Intel i5/i7-9th Gen Processors, 16 GB RAM and the most important, a 144 Hz Screen. I mean it just does not get better than this. Currently, the i5 version is on sale for 80K on Flipkart whereas, the i7 version sells for 90k on the same platform.
The only drawback would be the design if you have to use it professionally as well. The laptop is well made and has a good sleek design if it used purely for gaming but it does not look like your average work laptop.

To counter this, the Lenovo Legion Y540 should be the ideal laptop for you if you want a great VFM gaming laptop that also looks professional.
It is a little more expensive than the Helios 300. It was on sale for around 95k on Amazon but I believe it is out of stock or just 1 item is remaining (It's a weird thing that's happening since yesterday. It keeps going back and forth from being out of stock to only 1 item remaining)

The specs are quite similar but the only difference is the price and availability.

Bottom line, Helios 300 is the best VFM laptop on the market right now if you only want it for gaming. Whereas, the Legion Y540 a worthy competitor with a more subtle design which does not scream "I am a beast gaming laptop"

Choice is yours, Cheers!
Old 1st October 2019, 15:36   #5342
BHPian

Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post

I was confused between the above model and the following one

Sorry I meant, can't choose between the said Asus model and this Acer model- https://www.flipkart.com/acer-swift-...01569924087777

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse View Post
Retailnet is the seller arm of Flipkart , its not a independent seller .
Thanks. Haven't shopped on Flipkart since WS Retail days

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
They have the same model in 4 different model numbers - 006T,026T, 039T and one more. My seller also RetailNet and was told by someone who dealt with these guys previously, that he has been very reliable (one of the leading seller of laptops in flipkart.)
d.

Thanks! When are you expecting delivery?
Old 1st October 2019, 18:07   #5343
Senior - BHPian

The Acer swift also good - both same size (14") but Acer has 2GB dedicated memory for Graphics. However, Asus comes with Fingerprint sensor, but Acer do not (I think). Acer costing Rs.4000 more than Asus model.

+

They have to deliver me the product within 11th Oct but hope will get it before that (checked and found that they have not yet shipped it).
Old 1st October 2019, 18:24   #5344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by punny.guy View Post
The best laptop currently under the 1L price tag is undoubtedly the Acer Predator Helios 300.

The only drawback would be the design if you have to use it professionally as well. The laptop is well made and has a good sleek design if it used purely for gaming but it does not look like your average work laptop.

To counter this, the Lenovo Legion Y540 should be the ideal laptop for you if you want a great VFM gaming laptop that also looks professional.
(It's a weird thing that's happening since yesterday. It keeps going back and forth from being out of stock to only 1 item remaining)

The specs are quite similar but the only difference is the price and availability.

Bottom line, Helios 300 is the best VFM laptop on the market right now if you only want it for gaming. Whereas, the Legion Y540 a worthy competitor with a more subtle design which does not scream "I am a beast gaming laptop"

Choice is yours, Cheers!
I bought a y540 a month ago. It's got a 1TB SSD which was my primary reason for picking it AND an RTX 2060, at 1.25L. I bought it from the showroom, and am glad that I did because I faced a minor issue with it during the purchase and they replaced it instantly. I most definitely could not have had such an easy process from flipkart or Amazon. Also, I discovered that the prices on flipkart and Amazon are massively bloated. The price they sell it at is the actual price, and the "discount" tag is just a psychological marketing trick, you can check the price of Lenovo laptops on the website and flipkart to verify it yourself.

Jarrods tech made a comparitive video with the helios and y540, and its very informative. I undervolted and overclocked my cpu, and the performance is now maybe 5% lower than the helios.

Y540 looks a lot better in an office too.
Old 1st October 2019, 18:32   #5345

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrk997 View Post
I bought a y540 a month ago. It's got a 1TB SSD which was my primary reason for picking it AND an RTX 2060, at 1.25L. I bought it from the showroom, and am glad that I did because I faced a minor issue with it during the purchase and they replaced it instantly. I most definitely could not have had such an easy process from flipkart or Amazon. Also, I discovered that the prices on flipkart and Amazon are massively bloated. The price they sell it at is the actual price, and the "discount" tag is just a psychological marketing trick, you can check the price of Lenovo laptops on the website and flipkart to verify it yourself.

Jarrods tech made a comparitive video with the helios and y540, and its very informative. I undervolted and overclocked my cpu, and the performance is now maybe 5% lower than the helios.

Y540 looks a lot better in an office too.
Great purchase man! RTX 2060 is the icing on the cake and I guess the price is justified as well. I think Amazon and Flipkart put up the original MRPs and don't change them irrespective of an official price drop of a product. All they do is increase the discount percentage on the original MRP which is misleading but fools a lot of people TBH.

And yes, even I watched his reviews and it's quite detailed. Undervolting and overclocking sure helps reduce the gap.

The Y540 for sure looks more sophisticated and you wouldn't feel shy in using it in front of your clients too.
Old 2nd October 2019, 08:02   #5346
BHPian

Re: Laptop for IT Pros?

Quote:
Originally Posted by punny.guy View Post
The Y540 for sure looks more sophisticated and you wouldn't feel shy in using it in front of your clients too.
Could you suggest me a good laptop for a IT professional, which has Windows 10 Pro pre-installed, 16GB RAM, SSD NVMe as default and lightweight to carry around. NOT interested in gaming.
Old 2nd October 2019, 08:56   #5347
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Could you suggest me a good laptop for a IT professional, which has Windows 10 Pro pre-installed, 16GB RAM, SSD NVMe as default and lightweight to carry around. NOT interested in gaming.
Check out the Dell Inspiron models on their website.

I got a Dell Inspiron 3750 13.3" i5 8th Gen, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB NvME SSD. more than a year back. Looked around both online & offline & the best price was at Reliance Digital store - Got it for Rs. 57,500 (I had to bargain & tell them to give a further discount if I don't want some free stuff which came with it). The 8GB RAM comes in 1 of 2 slots, so can be upgraded to 16GB later if needed. If you are buying from a store, don't go for the store extended warranty. I paid 4499 to Dell directly after buying the laptop to extend the warranty for 2 more years.

Current Inspiron models have much better configurations than the one I got at around the same prices, I think. Dell's Service is also outstanding. I have at home service for 3 years.
Old 3rd October 2019, 08:21   #5348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Check out the Dell Inspiron models on their website.
How does 'Thinkpad' fare against 'Inspiron'?
Old 3rd October 2019, 08:29   #5349
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
How does 'Thinkpad' fare against 'Inspiron'?
Depends on which line of Thinkpad you are referring to. Thinkpads have various different lines - L-Series, T-Series, X-Series etc. Also what are you comparing? Specs or Service or sturdiness?

Last edited by carboy : 3rd October 2019 at 08:30.
Old 3rd October 2019, 09:19   #5350
Senior - BHPian

I need a laptop for my son who is in his first year of college. He needs it for programming practice. He has specifically said he is not interested in a gaming laptop. Which is good laptop with 15.6" FHD screen, Windows 10 preloaded, good battery back-up, 1TB HDD, 8GB RAM? If it comes with a 128/256GB SSD, it would be good. But that would drive up the price I guess. I am also not sure if I should look for i3 or i5. I am okay to spend around 50k (although my son wanted to have something cheaper) and he would need it for the next 4-5 years at least.
Old 3rd October 2019, 09:42   #5351
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
I need a laptop for my son who is in his first year of college. He needs it for programming practice. He has specifically said he is not interested in a gaming laptop. Which is good laptop with 15.6" FHD screen, Windows 10 preloaded, good battery back-up, 1TB HDD, 8GB RAM? If it comes with a 128/256GB SSD, it would be good. But that would drive up the price I guess. I am also not sure if I should look for i3 or i5. I am okay to spend around 50k (although my son wanted to have something cheaper) and he would need it for the next 4-5 years at least.
Programming practice, no gaming, the previous generation macbook air is going at a good discount of 54k right now. Light, 8gb ram, great OS, and will perfectly stitch up your sons needs. It is also an aspirational brand and will stand the test of time for the next 5 years.
Old 3rd October 2019, 09:50   #5352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Programming practice, no gaming, the previous generation macbook air is going at a good discount of 54k right now. Light, 8gb ram, great OS, and will perfectly stitch up your sons needs. It is also an aspirational brand and will stand the test of time for the next 5 years.
Although it is a good laptop build quality wise, the screen resolution is bad. I would suggest to go for a laptop with a good screen.

I use macbook air at home.
Old 3rd October 2019, 11:35   #5353
BHPian

I was looking for a Laptop for myself.
Requirements
1.i3 or i5, 8th gen Processor.
2.Backlit Keyboard.
3.SSD preferred but HDD is also fine.
3.Less Weight : 1-1.5kg
4.Battery Back up: Min 4 hrs.
5. 50k Max
Main usage : Browsing,MS Excel, ppt's and watching movies.

Looked at the below laptops

1.HP 14q Core i5 8th Gen - (8 GB/1 TB HDD/Windows 10 Home) 14q-cs0017tu Laptop (14 inch, Smoke Grey, 1.47 kg, With MS Office) -- 39990

Downside is this does not have a back lit keyboard.

2.Asus ZenBook 13 Core i5 8th Gen - (8 GB/256 GB SSD/Windows 10 Home) UX331FAL-EG075T Thin and Light Laptop (13.3 inch, Deep Dive Blue, 0.99 kg) -- 54990
Ordered this laptop on Flipkart but delivery date was extended, i did not wanted to wait for 2 weeks. cancelled the ordered.

3. Lenovo Idepad 330 and 330s -- reviews were not great and the build quality was Ok. but the screen still had flex.

4.Lenovo Ideapad S145 8th -- Specs were good, but it was on the heavier side

5. Asus ZenBook Core i5 8th Gen - (8 GB/256 GB SSD/Windows 10 Home) UX430UA-GV307T Thin and Light Laptop (14 inch, Grey Metal, 1.3 kg) -- 42990

Checked out some reviews for this laptop -- Track pad does not work was the common problem, resolution for this is installing the correct drivers.

If used for gaming then the cooling system makes a bit of noise which might be irritating -- i do not play games at all on the laptop so this was ruled out.

This one is earlier model but still had the 8th gen i5 and met my requirements,in addition the offers were good,final price was 38990.

Last edited by zaveed : 3rd October 2019 at 11:43. Reason: Added more details
Old 3rd October 2019, 12:54   #5354
BHPian

I have an HP Envy 14-j107tx laptop which I bought in 2016 for Rs 68000 (got a great deal on Paytm with 10000 cashback)

The laptop has good specs to meet my current needs:
  • Intel Core i5 processor
  • 12GB DDR3 RAM
  • 1TB HDD
  • 14" FHD screen
  • 4GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 950M graphics card
  • Bang & Olufsen speakers
  • Windows 10 Home

I use it mainly for home purposes and very little gaming like Assassins' Creed etc.

Off late, I have noticed a drastic change in the performance of the laptop. The startup is very slow and takes almost 5 mins for the desktop screen to appear. I have done all the registry tweaks based on few webpages. I recently got a "Change battery" message as well so looking to fix these issues by replacing the battery for better backup.

Is it recommended that I add a SSD (256GB or 512GB) in addition to the 1TB HDD for better startup? Can my partition be cloned onto the SSD or does it need a full format?

Is it better get these done by HP service centre or go to a 3rd party since its out of warranty? Any leads would be welcome in Bangalore.

Sorry for my noobish queries as I have lost my knack of meddling with OS stuff (formatting) since 4-5 yrs now.

Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 18:11   #5355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaveed View Post
I was looking for a Laptop for myself.
Requirements
1.i3 or i5, 8th gen Processor.
2.Backlit Keyboard.
3.SSD preferred but HDD is also fine.
3.Less Weight : 1-1.5kg
4.Battery Back up: Min 4 hrs.
5. 50k Max
Main usage : Browsing,MS Excel, ppt's and watching movies.

Looked at the below laptops

1.HP 14q Core i5 8th Gen - (8 GB/1 TB HDD/Windows 10 Home) 14q-cs0017tu Laptop (14 inch, Smoke Grey, 1.47 kg, With MS Office) -- 39990

Downside is this does not have a back lit keyboard.

2.Asus ZenBook 13 Core i5 8th Gen - (8 GB/256 GB SSD/Windows 10 Home) UX331FAL-EG075T Thin and Light Laptop (13.3 inch, Deep Dive Blue, 0.99 kg) -- 54990
Ordered this laptop on Flipkart but delivery date was extended, i did not wanted to wait for 2 weeks. cancelled the ordered.

3. Lenovo Idepad 330 and 330s -- reviews were not great and the build quality was Ok. but the screen still had flex.

4.Lenovo Ideapad S145 8th -- Specs were good, but it was on the heavier side

5. Asus ZenBook Core i5 8th Gen - (8 GB/256 GB SSD/Windows 10 Home) UX430UA-GV307T Thin and Light Laptop (14 inch, Grey Metal, 1.3 kg) -- 42990

Checked out some reviews for this laptop -- Track pad does not work was the common problem, resolution for this is installing the correct drivers.

If used for gaming then the cooling system makes a bit of noise which might be irritating -- i do not play games at all on the laptop so this was ruled out.

This one is earlier model but still had the 8th gen i5 and met my requirements,in addition the offers were good,final price was 38990.
Did you check the Asus S series laptops which comes with backlit keyboard

Asus Vivobook S430FA-FB026T

They also had EB006T, EB039T (all are identical in features)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks