Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2019, 21:36   #5356
BHPian

@nairrk : I did check, lid and the bottom is made of plastic material where as the zenbook ux340ua is made of aluminium. Zenbook is their topline series so went with that.
Old 4th October 2019, 08:56   #5357
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

I switched to Macbook 5 years back. Had always been a hardcore windows user. Using bootcamp (Win 10 and MacOS) on the Macbook.

I use macOS for daily browsing, Mail client and MS office applications. Windows for specific work related apps.

Even after 5 years there is absolutely no lag and the battery life is great. This is the first time ever I use a gadget for 5 long years without the need for any upgrade. There was not a single instance where I had to repair/ service it. Touchwood.

Would recommend this Macbook with Bootcamp setup for anyone who wishes to invest on a trouble free windows laptop in the higher end of the spectrum.
Old 4th October 2019, 09:15   #5358
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Using bootcamp (Win 10 and MacOS) on the Macbook.
How much did you pay for the Windows 10 license?
Old 4th October 2019, 09:45   #5359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
How much did you pay for the Windows 10 license?
I had a win 8.1 licensed version running all this while since bootcamp did not supoort windows 10 earlier. Recently discovered that windows 10 is being supported. Just installed it. Currently running the trial version. I guess home edition retails around 6K.
Old 4th October 2019, 09:52   #5360
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
I had a win 8.1 licensed version running all this while since bootcamp did not supoort windows 10 earlier. Recently discovered that windows 10 is being supported. Just installed it. Currently running the trial version. I guess home edition retails around 6K.
So that adds another 6K to the cost. I think if you buy a similar cost Windows box, you would probably have the same longevity. The Mac haters compare cheap Windows boxes with regular Macs & say it's expensive. The Mac lovers again compare similarly & say Mac is worth it in terms of longevity. What I have found is that Windows & Mac machines when compared on a similar price range work out to be the same. And windows has a lot more free tools, software available, so I prefer Windows.

My company gives us a choice between Thinkpad T-Series & similar budgeted Mac. I have seen both last 5+ years for my employees. Me, I am a very rough user, so I think neither would last anywhere close for me. Also for Apple, you need to take the machine to the store for warranty repairs whereas, for Lenovo, Dell etc provide at home/at office service.

Last edited by carboy : 4th October 2019 at 09:56.
Old 4th October 2019, 09:58   #5361
BHPian

My choice for home computing is Linux. There are many distros that are easy to learn and migrate to from Windows. Further more, it does most of what Windows can do and safely at that. If one does need Windows, VMPlayer (free for personal use) is available to use your version of Windows. Linux uses lesser resources therby freeing up a lot more for the virtual machine, if so needed.
Old 4th October 2019, 10:12   #5362
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
If one does need Windows, VMPlayer (free for personal use) is available to use your version of Windows.
But you need to pay for a Windows license, right?
Old 4th October 2019, 10:34   #5363
BHPian

Quote:
But you need to pay for a Windows license, right?
Yes, if there is a need for Windows. But nothing for the base OS. Apple surely includes the cost of the OS with their product.
Old 4th October 2019, 10:49   #5364
BANNED

Quote:
Yes, if there is a need for Windows. But nothing for the base OS. Apple surely includes the cost of the OS with their product.
But if you want to use only Windows, it makes more sense to buy a Windows Machine rather than buying a Linux box or a Mac and then running Windows through Bootcamp or Linux. It only makes sense doing that if your primary use is going to Mac or Linux.
Old 4th October 2019, 11:31   #5365
BHPian

Quote:
But if you want to use only Windows, it makes more sense to buy a Windows Machine rather than buying a Linux box or a Mac and then running Windows through Bootcamp or Linux. It only makes sense doing that if your primary use is going to Mac or Linux.
Unless there is something that one needs, which runs only on Windows, Windows wouldn't be necessary. For common applications, Linux has many options.
Old 4th October 2019, 11:53   #5366
BANNED

Quote:
Unless there is something that one needs, which runs only on Windows, Windows wouldn't be necessary. For common applications, Linux has many options.
Well, lot of people prefer Windows. I have used a wide variety of Unixes & Linux in the last 20+ years. I have used & programmed on Solaris, Tru64, Irix, BSD, Voyage Linux, Ubuntu, RedHat etc. But I prefer Windows on the desktop. That aside, in the corporate world, the minor differences between Microsoft Office & whatever is the current Linux Office come to bite you at exactly the wrong time.
Old 7th October 2019, 10:26   #5367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
I need a laptop for my son who is in his first year of college. He needs it for programming practice. He has specifically said he is not interested in a gaming laptop. Which is good laptop with 15.6" FHD screen, Windows 10 preloaded, good battery back-up, 1TB HDD, 8GB RAM? If it comes with a 128/256GB SSD, it would be good. But that would drive up the price I guess. I am also not sure if I should look for i3 or i5. I am okay to spend around 50k (although my son wanted to have something cheaper) and he would need it for the next 4-5 years at least.
Ended up buying Dell 5570. i5-8th Generation, 8GB RAM, 2TB HDD, 2 GB Graphics AMD Radeon, 15.6" screen, backlit keyboard. Windows 10 and MS Office Home & Student edition licenses and with McAfee free for 15 months. Bought it from Reliance Digital Store since I got the best offer from there yesterday. The laptop was on sale for 58990. And then there was a discount of Rs. 4000 plus cashback of 10% when paid through HDFC credit card EMI.
Old 11th October 2019, 00:26   #5368
BHPian

Took the plunge and got myself Acer Predator Helios 300 in this recent sale. 15.6 inch screen, backlit keyboard, i5 8th Gen, 1 Tb HardDisk, 8GB RAM, 128gb SSD, 4gb NViDIA GTX 1050 Graphics Card, Windows 10 Home.
Got it at 46000 which i think is a very good deal.
Old 13th October 2019, 13:05   #5369
Senior - BHPian

Finally, I got the Asus Vivobook S430FA

Model: S430FA-EB006T

LCD 14.0 FHD
CPU: Intel i5 - 8265U/BGA
HDD- 1TB 54R + 256G SATA3 SSD
RAM: DDR4 8GB
WLAN:WIFI5(802.11AC) 2*2 WW+BT
USB: USB3.1+USB 3.0+USB 2.0X2
OS Type: WIN10 64BIT
3 CELL 42WH
Thin and Light
Ergolift Hinge (auto tilts when open the lid, for typing comfort)
NanoEdge display
Finger print sensor

Final price: Rs.40,090 (purchased from flipkart during their Big Billion Day sale period)
Old 14th October 2019, 00:36   #5370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
Finally, I got the Asus Vivobook S430FA

Model: S430FA-EB006T

LCD 14.0 FHD
CPU: Intel i5 - 8265U/BGA
HDD- 1TB 54R + 256G SATA3 SSD
RAM: DDR4 8GB
WLAN:WIFI5(802.11AC) 2*2 WW+BT
USB: USB3.1+USB 3.0+USB 2.0X2
OS Type: WIN10 64BIT
3 CELL 42WH
Thin and Light
Ergolift Hinge (auto tilts when open the lid, for typing comfort)
NanoEdge display
Finger print sensor

Final price: Rs.40,090 (purchased from flipkart during their Big Billion Day sale period)
Thats a good deal. Battery size is very good generally it is 2 cell 37wh something.
I am also looking for similar model on Amazon, Cliq. I think I should look for Flipkart also. Does buying online affect warranty?

Most Viewed