Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharanidharang View Post
Suggest a good laptop for upto Rs. 60K. Primary uses

Creative writing / presentations
Long work hours - So prefer it to be comfortable to the eyes
A good battery
Usb "C" based charger
Processor preferably i5 or Ryzen (Not sure of model)
8 GB Ram with Option to upgrade
1 TB HDD or a SSD based one
Try acer nitro 7, you can easily get it for 62k in market
Attached Thumbnails
The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-screenshot_20200731215244_amazon-shopping.jpg  

Rshrey22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 22:05   #5717
Senior - BHPian

I love typing on the mi Horizon. The keys are so Mac like. Pop into a store and check it out. Battery is good. Screen is superb. i5 10th gen (512 GB SSD) etc. price range is from 42 (this should suit you fine) to 55K
Quote:
Suggest a good laptop for Creative writing / presentations
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 23:10   #5718
BHPian

From some time I have been getting this message on my Dell laptop whenever I plug it in
"The power adapter attached to your system is not recognized. Attach a supported power adapter with at least 130 watts"
I am already using the original charger. This started coming up a year back(the laptop is 2.5 years old) occasionally and re-plugging it usually solved it and it recognized the charger but off late I really need to push it in forcefully to recognize the charger. What can be the issue?
Old 2nd August 2020, 13:23   #5719
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy$Cars View Post
From some time I have been getting this message on my Dell laptop whenever I plug it in
"The power adapter attached to your system is not recognized. Attach a supported power adapter with at least 130 watts"
I am already using the original charger. This started coming up a year back(the laptop is 2.5 years old) occasionally and re-plugging it usually solved it and it recognized the charger but off late I really need to push it in forcefully to recognize the charger. What can be the issue?
Had this on my office laptop. IT fixed it with a BIOS update.

Check Dell site for latest BIOS updates for your model/services tag that addresses "power management"/ACPI issues.
sathish81 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 19:19   #5720
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
If you don't want a touchscreen, I would suggest the Acer Swift 3 (14inch Display).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amien View Post
If you're spending above 60k, it is currently not worth buying anything that doesn't come with a 7nm Ryzen 4000 series CPU. These typically start at 65k onwards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshrey22 View Post
Try acer nitro 7, you can easily get it for 62k in market
Thank you for all your suggestions. Ryzen looks promising but will it last next 4 to 5 years ?

i will wait for the Amazon and Flipkart sales later this week to decide.

Last edited by Aditya : 3rd August 2020 at 06:41. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
Old 2nd August 2020, 19:26   #5721
Senior - BHPian

In tech you can't predict what will click the following month, forget 5 years. For now, Ryzen is the best.
Quote:
Thank you for all your suggestions. Ryzen looks promising but will it last next 4 to 5 years ?
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 22:44   #5722
BHPian

Quote:
I've been using an i3 laptop for the last 10 years and it works just fine for me. Will a laptop last for you or not, is completely a subjective to the kind of work you use the laptop for.

If you are into basic office work and nothing strong like rendering etc then I can safely say it will easily last 5 years.
Old 3rd August 2020, 00:01   #5723
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
Could be because of low Ram, see if you can upgrade to Max ram possible. Else try installing Neverware, it will satisfy most of your usage needs.
Thanks for this. You helped bring some usability to the utterly useless flexpad I bought 6 years ago. Managed to install it, but would you mind if I reached out to you to understand usage?
mayankk is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 06:41   #5724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaasscit View Post
My requirements: Primarily to back up my mobile phone (via Itunes), Occasional video streaming, Data transfer from/to pendrive.

Specifications of the laptop :

Make : HP
Processor : AMD E2-9000e Radeon R2, 4 COMPUTE CORES 2C+2G 1.50 GHz
Installed RAM :4.00 GB (3.88 GB usable)
II should be a crime to sell systems with the bare minimum RAM. Just because the OS "runs", it does not mean it is usable.

Try using a debloat script, watch the video below and use his script (be sure to make a proper backup first, because there are systems out there that don't support the latest version of Windows 10). You could also try some of the lightweight Linux distros.
Old 3rd August 2020, 13:29   #5725
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaasscit View Post
Main problem : System is too slow. Even a simple right click on the desktop takes a couple of seconds.

I'm looking for suggestions here :
1. Would adding 2 GB RAM help to meet my requirements without frustrating me? I was told that there is an extra slot available by a laptop technician.
?
Ask some offline shop to update these for you :
  1. RAM : Upgrade to 8 GB
  2. SSD : 256 / 512 GB SSD
This should resolve performance issues to a great extent.
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 17:02   #5726
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Thanks for this. You helped bring some usability to the utterly useless flexpad I bought 6 years ago. Managed to install it, but would you mind if I reached out to you to understand usage?
Mayankk, I am not an expert at it, I had come across neverware when I was trying to resurrect an old Acer I had, however shoot me your questions, I will do my best to help.
Old 4th August 2020, 20:43   #5727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amien View Post
Its generally a good idea to avoid netbook parts like Pentium/Celeron/AMD's A series unless you know exactly what you're getting. If your requirements are very modest, you might be okay. There are usually better options available if you're willing to spend some time looking.
Thanks Amien for the heads up! yes usage though currently modest, may change in future. Hence now looking above this category. I believe i3 (7th Gen+) or AMD Ryzen 3+ are the current basics now, as i could understand from my google study Has Zeroed down on one Asus 15 inch Ryzen 3 on Flipkart. lets see if there are any offers on it with upcoming sale.

Any info about AVITA brand laptops? They have very good specs and price. saw few negative reviews on build quality.

Also how to know if one particular laptop has expandable RAM from online specs sheets of Amazon or Flipkart?
Old 5th August 2020, 00:34   #5728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer View Post

Also how to know if one particular laptop has expandable RAM from online specs sheets of Amazon or Flipkart?
If it says LPDDR in the RAM type then most likely that's soldered on RAM, NOT upgradeable.

Unfortunately it's tough to say if there is only one RAM slot or more. Check the detailed specs, or on the crucial.com website to know that info.
grazd is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 00:54   #5729
BHPian

Will 'Dell' ever release their 'Inspiron/XPS' series with 'Ryzen 7' 4700U processors?

I am looking for 'Ryzen 7' 4700U 15" laptops with decent build quality with expandable RAMs.
Old 5th August 2020, 03:04   #5730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer View Post
Thanks Amien for the heads up! yes usage though currently modest, may change in future. Hence now looking above this category. I believe i3 (7th Gen+) or AMD Ryzen 3+ are the current basics now, as i could understand from my google study Has Zeroed down on one Asus 15 inch Ryzen 3 on Flipkart. lets see if there are any offers on it with upcoming sale.

Any info about AVITA brand laptops? They have very good specs and price. saw few negative reviews on build quality.

R3/i3 for basics is correct. An older Ryzen 5 with its 4 cores provides a good enough buffer for just about anything you might throw at it. Laptop choice is a lot less consequential if it isn't your primary computer

Re: AVITA, there simply aren't enough of these out there to get a good feel on build/durability, service etc. Can't really give a recommendation for or against them.

Re: Expandable RAM , as mentioned above, reviews, manufacturer's website (usually hard to find) and the crucial website are all good sources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Will 'Dell' ever release their 'Inspiron/XPS' series with 'Ryzen 7' 4700U processors?

I am looking for 'Ryzen 7' 4700U 15" laptops with decent build quality with expandable RAMs.
This year's XPS are already out so probably not any time soon. There should be some Inspiron models out at some point though.

U processors usually end up in thin/light designs. I haven't seen any of the new 4000U series parts in anything with up-gradable memory. There are however a few H variants in more performance-oriented models that let you install additional RAM.

Last edited by Amien : 5th August 2020 at 03:05.
Amien is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed