Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2020, 09:57   #5761
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Folks, Anyone with recent experience of buying laptops online from Amazon, wondering if it's safe to buy. Asus doesn't have their own online retail sales site, so wondering if it's safe to buy on Amazon.
Old 12th August 2020, 10:09   #5762
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Folks, Anyone with recent experience of buying laptops online from Amazon, wondering if it's safe to buy. Asus doesn't have their own online retail sales site, so wondering if it's safe to buy on Amazon.
We bought ASUS laptop from Amazon last month. It came in perfect condition and we’ve had no issues till now. I think you can go ahead and buy it online.
sahil624 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 10:15   #5763
BHPian

Quote:
For Asus it should be fine since they have a link to Amazon on their website itself.

But for Dell and may be even Lenovo best to buy on their own websites.

I got a Dell one recently and the packaging straight from the Chennai assembly factory is too good. Can't trust Amazon to be the same. Not sure about warranty on Amazon purchases though.
anandhsub is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 21:03   #5764
BHPian

Quote:

Bought one during the sale. Ordered on 7th during the Prime sale and got it on 10th. The big outer packaging was not in stellar condition. The main laptop box itself was alright.

Buying a laptop for the first time from Amazon and so far it is good. This model came with a 1 year premium onsite warranty.

As other users said its mostly better to buy from an official physical store or directly from manufacturer website, but this particular model was available only on Amazon. Manufacturer website had only the Top end model which was beyond my budget and also I am not currently residing in my home state which negates any advatage the Physical store would have got me over the long term.

Last edited by ZenMaster : 12th August 2020 at 21:04. Reason: Grammatical error
ZenMaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 21:16   #5765
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just bought an Asus Zephyrus G14 costing 122k from Amazon a few days ago. Arrived in 2 days. Everything was good.
reignofchaos is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 23:12   #5766
rbp
BHPian

Buying Asus laptops from Asus stores gives 2 years premium on-site warranty compared to one year online.
rbp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 23:46   #5767
BHPian

Quote:
Bought Acer Nitro 7 from Amazon early May and have not faced any issues. Received a sealed box and was able to register on Acer website. Laptops are safe bets as long as you are buying from Appario or Cloudtail.
DaptChatterjee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 09:30   #5768
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, thanks for your feedback on buying Asus laptops from Amazon, appreciate it

On Amazon, I also see "ASUS Premium Care 1 Year Extended Warranty with Onsite Service for Laptops" priced at Rs.2500 (sold by TPS Technologies). Is it worth buying this or can I buy the warranty extension package directly from ASUS after registering the product ? I think they currently have offers on these and could be as low as Rs.99 (normal pricing I think is Rs.499 ?), in any case lot lesser than Rs.2500!
Old 13th August 2020, 19:25   #5769
BHPian

Try to test the laptop as much as possible during the return window to expose any potential issues. Putting a bit of load on it is also a good idea; usually stuff like installing windows updates or play a game for an hour or so is good enough.

If you plan on upgrading the RAM etc, best to wait until the window has closed. Register on the manufacturer's website for extended warranty options depending on the make of the computer. A first party warranty is way better than 3rd, is often cheaper too.

Anyone else interested in the G14 Zephyrus, bear in mind that the models available online are overpriced by 10k or more. That said, offline stores are rarely able to keep them in stock.
Amien is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 11:43   #5770
BHPian

i generally have less faith in buying expensive products on Amazon - especially in sales, s these sales are just for raking in numbers by e-tailers without offering any good discount. Anyways, i recently bought a HP Omen from HP website in mid-July and got an extended 2 years warranty for Rs. 1500/-; some normal accessories like Laptop Bag etc.
Regarding recent sale at e-tailers - my family member had a bad experience with Lenovo- wherein after buying a lenovo d-330 (if i remember correctly) small laptop for basic use, the product warranty was already 11 months expired, as per Lenovo customer care! so looks like, they were selling old stock model or there is some issue in warranty condition with lenovo products on these online retail websites.
Old 17th August 2020, 00:36   #5771
BHPian

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask this question:

I am suddenly unable to use Ctrl+W to close a tab on Opera or Chrome both of which i use extensively. The other Ctrl key+W closes the tab though. Individually, both the Ctrl keys are working. Since, when i try to do Ctrl+T to open a new tab it works. Individually the W key is also working because i am able to type w (W as well) in the browser address bar. Quite perplexed. Never faced this issue.

Checked Browser settings all seems fine. Restarted the laptop. Still nothing.

Windows 10 64bit, using this laptop since 2017. Lenovo i3. No recent changes as much as i can recall.

Any leads on what could this be? Facing this since morning.
Old 17th August 2020, 21:11   #5772
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Any recommendations for a Keyboard and Mouse ?

This will be used with my work laptop, finding it difficult to manage without a larger keyboard at home. Want to replace mouse as well since right button isn't working well.

Is there any difference in performance between Wi-Fi Keyboard/Mouse Vs Bluetooth ? Wi-fi would mean one USB slot gets used for the receiver but any other disadvantage ?

*Heard that the Microsoft Encrypted Keyboard is great, but not able to find it on Amazon.
Old 18th August 2020, 18:47   #5773
BHPian

Quote:
Any recommendations for a Keyboard and Mouse ?

This will be used with my work laptop, finding it difficult to manage without a larger keyboard at home. Want to replace mouse as well since right button isn't working well.

Is there any difference in performance between Wi-Fi Keyboard/Mouse Vs Bluetooth ? Wi-fi would mean one USB slot gets used for the receiver but any other disadvantage ?

*Heard that the Microsoft Encrypted Keyboard is great, but not able to find it on Amazon.
How much do you want to spend on these? If your work involves lots of typing, a mechanical keyboard can be a game changer.

You normally need to spend 2x on a wireless mouse for the same performance you would get from a wired one. Between wireless and bluetooth, those that work over an RF signal generally tend to offer better performance than the bluetooth ones and are usually cheaper.

Input device choice tends to be highly subject to personal preferences. PM your requirements perhaps?
Amien is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 05:54   #5774
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amien View Post
A dedicated GPU will one again either kill portability or end up costing a whole lot more. There's two ways to go about this:-

*Ultra-portable option = https://amzn.to/3gJhbC7
Integrated Radeon graphics on this are more than enough for your requirements/casual gaming. < My primary recommendation.
Thanks @Amien for all the help with recommendations for laptops and later with the external keyboard and mouse (for use with my work laptop).

I got the Asus Vivobook M4331A with 8 GB RAM and 512 GB SSD for tad under Rs.60k.

With Work From Home becoming the norm, I needed an external keyboard and mouse, so I've ordered the Logitech MK 345 Wireless keyboard and mouse combo.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 00:41   #5775
BHPian

I request you to read through all this and suggest what the problem could be.

I have a HP Pavilion x360 device, fraught with problems since day 1. It is a convertible, and the device is visibly overheating. Within a couple minutes of switching on the device, it gets warm. Some 15 minutes in, the device is definitely hot. It only gets worse when I charge the device, or do any intensive activity (like transferring large file amounts). My regular activity is restricted to the browser nowadays. It is barely a year old, and the technicians have been quite inadept at diagnosing the issue.

They switched batteries, and the issue persisted. I tried to calibrate it, and there was no change. Then the technician said that the laptop heats up very irregularly. Sometimes it is low (still warmer than it should be) and some other times it is piping hot. He said that they may look at replacing the motherboard, or the device itself (which I deem unlikely for obvious reasons).

Since this diagnosis (a couple weeks ago) it has been radio silence. What could be the reason behind this? My usage of the laptop has been highly restricted these past few months, as I've been a little wary of using excessively due to the heating issues.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks