3. looking at and disabling apps that hog cpu

But it seems to be a design issue
greenhorn is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 09:03   #5777
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
My regular activity is restricted to the browser nowadays.
For troubleshooting, boot with an alternative (and cleaner) OS via USB. You can use Ubuntu.

Get a 128 GB USB C pendrive , make it Ubuntu bootable and see if problem persists. This wont touch data on the laptop.

This step will rule out issues that are due to HP and other crapware.

Edit : HowTo : https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/create-...ows#1-overview

Last edited by NetfreakBombay : 26th August 2020 at 09:08.
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 10:47   #5778
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Any idea why are OEM guys persisting with the 5400 RPM HDDs even in the latest laptops? They should atleast use a 7200 RPM HDD. But the slow unusable HDD is beyond me.
Old 26th August 2020, 20:26   #5779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
Any idea why are OEM guys persisting with the 5400 RPM HDDs even in the latest laptops? They should atleast use a 7200 RPM HDD. But the slow unusable HDD is beyond me.
Lower power consumption. An SSD is going to be many times faster than the fastest HDD so that's the route to go if speed is required.
Old 26th August 2020, 21:22   #5780
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

I bought the Asus Vivobook from Amazon (Appario Retail). I've also successfully registered the product.

However, when I try to avail the offers on asuspromo.in for extended warranty (2 years @Rs.99 or 3 years at Rs.999), Asus is not honoring the request saying the Invoice does not mention the Serial number of the laptop (however the Packing Slip and Order Summary on the Amazon order page mention the Serial number). They're also insisting on the invoice having the dealer's seal (stamp)!

Anyone faced such an issue ? Please share how you resolved it.
Old 26th August 2020, 21:27   #5781
BHPian

Quote:
If you google for it - you can see some hacks other owners have tried such as
1. Reducing CPU boost
2. Setting a more agressive fan policy
3. looking at and disabling apps that hog cpu

But it seems to be a design issue
Tried no 2 and 3 already. Checked out what takes up power, and those are pretty much just the device drivers only, cause as I said I don't use the device to the fullest due to this issue. Seems to be device specific, because another identical device does not have any issues at all.

Quote:
For troubleshooting, boot with an alternative (and cleaner) OS via USB. You can use Ubuntu.

Get a 128 GB USB C pendrive , make it Ubuntu bootable and see if problem persists. This wont touch data on the laptop.

This step will rule out issues that are due to HP and other crapware
Have to do this one, if HP support says they're unable to solve issue (has already happened once to me with same device). I feel that Windows seems to be a lot buggy... I have Bluetooth and WiFi connectivity issues on and off, caused post Windows feature updates

On a side note, advice is pouring in from all corners, as to why buying HP is a bad decision in the first place
Old 26th August 2020, 21:31   #5782
Senior - BHPian

if the laptop is within the return window, raise a return request. That usually triggers amazon/the vendor to intervene to ensure a positive outcome
greenhorn is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 10:12   #5783
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amien View Post
Lower power consumption. An SSD is going to be many times faster than the fastest HDD so that's the route to go if speed is required.
Isnt that more of a reason to use SSD since they have lower power requirements?
On Amazon, I see that 1 TB HDD and 250 GB SSD are priced the same. So price is not a reason for HDDs. And funnily, I dont see any of the OEM trying to break out of this. All of them have standard 1TB HDDs in the entry level laptops.
Old 27th August 2020, 10:52   #5784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
Isnt that more of a reason to use SSD since they have lower power requirements?
On Amazon, I see that 1 TB HDD and 250 GB SSD are priced the same. So price is not a reason for HDDs. And funnily, I dont see any of the OEM trying to break out of this. All of them have standard 1TB HDDs in the entry level laptops.
True, but my point of comparison was power consumption between 5400 and 7200RPM mechanical drives. SSD's are of course, much more efficient.

Those were the more innocuous reasons. The other ones are things like segmentation, vendor contracts and stock-pileups. SSDs are still more expensive to purchase wholesale. You'll also be surprised at how many people don't really care about how fast storage is but just want more of it. 1TB SSDs are not going to be common any time soon, so we'll probably need to endure these drives for a while, atleast at the low-end of the market.

Last edited by Amien : 27th August 2020 at 10:55.
Old 27th August 2020, 18:10   #5785
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I bought the Asus Vivobook from Amazon (Appario Retail). I've also successfully registered the product.

However, when I try to avail the offers on asuspromo.in for extended warranty (2 years @Rs.99 or 3 years at Rs.999), Asus is not honoring the request saying the Invoice does not mention the Serial number of the laptop (however the Packing Slip and Order Summary on the Amazon order page mention the Serial number). They're also insisting on the invoice having the dealer's seal (stamp)!

I bought an asus laptop from flipkart, and was able to use the invoice on the promo site, and got approval for extended warranty and 1tb hdd.

The flipkart invoice didn't have a dealer stamp.
grazd is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 23:22   #5786
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post

That's odd. You should be able to contact Appario through amazon and request whatever they're asking for. Pretty sad to see brands hiring service providers that are stuck in the past.
Amien is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 21:14   #5787
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
  1. RAM : Upgrade to 8 GB
  2. SSD : 256 / 512 GB SSD
This should resolve performance issues to a great extent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
Could be because of low Ram, see if you can upgrade to Max ram possible.
Quote:
You're right about the CPU being the bottleneck, but it shares that spot with the HDD. Will the upgrades be worth it? That depends on what your expectations/other options are. It will definitely make a difference.

The RAM being DDR4 means you might be able to carry it forward to a new computer(still a year or two before DDR5 becomes mainstream) along with that SSD and/or sell it to recover some of your investment. Will look up some recommendations after you've made a decision.
Thank you all for your suggestion guys. Upgraded the RAM to 8GB (max possible) & got a SSD inplace of HDD. The laptop isn't the last word in performance but certainly usable now. Costed me little over 7k. IMO it is worth it.
vaasscit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 02:09   #5788
BHPian

My lenovo laptop went kaput couple of days back having used it for more than 8 years which I had from US.
For now I have spare office laptop for remote connect to Virtual Desktop and it works fine being a i3 and 4 gb ram.

We also have Lenovo Yoga 720 that a friend of mine got from US a year back and very happy with it currently used by my wife.

I am looking for a developer laptop now, would be using it for coding in Python and Java.

All my laptops have been from US and never faced any hardware issue, but given the urgency I need to buy one here.

Any recommendations? Budget wise I am fine with around 75-80k, looking for reliability and performance.
Old 30th August 2020, 07:25   #5789
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by grazd View Post
The flipkart invoice didn't have a dealer stamp.
Quote:
That's odd. You should be able to contact Appario through amazon and request whatever they're asking for.
After uploading all relevant documentation to avail the Asus promotional offer on extended warranty, they replied saying it's on hold and mentioned the reasons as
1. "serial number + model number" not clear in the image I had attached. This was fixed easily by taking another picture of the laptop base where there was a white colored sticker with model number (above the serial number sticker)

2. Invoice missing serial number and dealer seal.

Prior to registering for the promo, I had registered the product on Asus site and the same invoice (without serial number) was accepted after validation and I received an email that product registration was successful. When I log in to the support site I can see the details of the model and 1 year warranty support activated.

I contacted Amazon and they said this has never been a problem in the past and the support staff asked me to contact Asus global support.

In the meantime I noticed that the packing slip and order summary in Amazon both had the serial number so I uploaded those documents as well only to receive another response from Asus promo support that they will need serial number and dealer seal in the invoice. Period.

Since I'm not active on social media platforms, I went back to the main Asus site and logged a "complaint" explaining my problem and attached all relevant documents/pictures. I received a response that I need to contact Asus promo support! This is what frustrated me the most since I'd clearly mentioned that Asus promo support were insisting on invoice having serial number and dealer seal! Now, there was a link in that email to say my problem was not resolved by the response, so clicked that and then another link in the email took me to Feedback to CEO which was for escalation.

I posted the details of my situation again and then followed it up by forwarding the emails from Asus promo support to the main support emails to put them together.

Voila, the next day I received a call that my promo request will be processed and I will receive a payment link in 2 days which I did receive yesterday and paid. All's well for now but it was painful.

Last edited by NPV : 30th August 2020 at 07:27.
NPV is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 14:32   #5790
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdrive View Post
I am looking for a developer laptop now, would be using it for coding in Python and Java.

Any recommendations? Budget wise I am fine with around 75-80k, looking for reliability and performance.
Have a look at this one :

https://www.dell.com/en-in/shop/lapt...cc-c587501win8
  1. 92k (offer of 8k cashback, brings price in neighborhood on 80k)
  2. For 3k, you can buy 3 Year warranty. That should cover reliability.
  3. i5-10300H CPU + Good cooling system. This should help with large Gradle builds
  4. Negative : Only 8 GB RAM. Good thing is, second slot is empty and you can add more RAM.
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks