Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2020, 10:41   #5911
Oxy
BHPian

Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amien View Post
If durability/longevity is your priority, I would recommend this Thinkpad instead. The 10th gen i3 is more efficient, has a stronger IGP and you should not miss the extra cores for your use-case. Hope that helps!
Thanks for this, looks good value for the price of 40k.

I am looking for one mainly to get MS Teams running for my kid's online school classes, and maybe some Python coding. The 4GB RAM on this one doesn't seem enough for that purpose. Any better recommendations?
Old 27th October 2020, 10:55   #5912
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Thanks for this, looks good value for the price of 40k.

I am looking for one mainly to get MS Teams running for my kid's online school classes, and maybe some Python coding. The 4GB RAM on this one doesn't seem enough for that purpose. Any better recommendations?
The RAM is upgradable.
Amien is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 16:04   #5913
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
  1. There was a yellowish tint on the screen and and I was really disappointed for the first 1.5 days. Then my neighbour (who also bought the same laptop on the same day) came to my rescue and guided me how to change the colour temperature. This has now been fixed.
Thanks for your review! I have just ordered the 15.6 inch one from Amazon and should get it by Friday.
Could you please elaborate on the fix for the yellow tint? It was the only concern I had.
Old 29th October 2020, 16:02   #5914
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
That's an awesome deal. No catch that I'm aware of.
Grabbed this just now for 52k after card discount, I think it's a good price for a Ryzen 7 4700U. The RAM is sadly not expandable.

Thanks for your inputs on this thread, they were really helpful.

Last edited by Oxy : 29th October 2020 at 16:26.
Oxy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 16:20   #5915
Senior - BHPian

Any reliable laptop service contacts in and around Rajajinagar in Bengaluru?

Need to replace the keypad of a half a decade old Toshiba.
dailydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2020, 14:58   #5916
BHPian

I need to purchase a Windows laptop for my father. He would typically use it for 1 to 2 hours per day, primarily to:
  • Check emails
  • Take zoom calls
  • Edit a few Word and Excel docs
No gaming or multi-media use at all.
Any suggestions on what would be a value for money choice? My budget is around 30k. Thanks!
Old 1st November 2020, 16:16   #5917
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
I need to purchase a Windows laptop for my father. He would typically use it for 1 to 2 hours per day, primarily to:
  • Check emails
  • Take zoom calls
  • Edit a few Word and Excel docs
No gaming or multi-media use at all.
Any suggestions on what would be a value for money choice? My budget is around 30k. Thanks!
Pick any one of these:- https://nextpc.co/2020/09/17/basic/
Amien is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2020, 17:11   #5918
BHPian

Quote:
As for MSI, just like every brand they have their hits-and-misses. Service has improved considerably of late and I would say that they are now about on par with most brands. The Modern series is not bad, though somewhat behind the Prestige range for fit/finish. It may be possible to recommend better alternatives if you share your use-case for it.
I was about to purchase a Modern, but an insane number of people advised me against buying an MSi, so I ordered the Vivobook 14 with the 3500u and 512GB SSD. The Modern is pricier by 9k, and is probably less capable (?) than the vivobook, but I was willing to live with all that since I'm in love with the design. However, I don't want to deal with bad service if I ever need it. For my current Dell i3, I haven't had to visit the service centre even once in the 5 years that I've had it, but I guess good service support is something that you only appreciate when you need it.

Should I go for the MSi instead? It's more than capable for my needs but I'm wary about the after sales support.
boniver is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2020, 17:24   #5919
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post

Should I go for the MSi instead? It's more than capable for my needs but I'm wary about the after sales support.
No reason to if you're happy with the Vivobook. Provider for both MSI and ASUS was Regenersis until recently so service was nearly identical. Just checked, MSI has switched to Sysnet and I have limited info. on how they operate.

Last edited by Amien : 1st November 2020 at 17:27.
Amien is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2020, 20:31   #5920
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuza View Post
Thanks for your review! I have just ordered the 15.6 inch one from Amazon and should get it by Friday.
Could you please elaborate on the fix for the yellow tint? It was the only concern I had.
The option to adjust colour temperature is present in the AMD Graphics settings app.

Search for "AMD" in the Start menu search and you should find it.
antz.bin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 08:21   #5921
BHPian

Hi, I hope someone can help me with my problem
I have a 2013 Hp Pavilion Laptop which has worked flawlessly till the start of this year but during the lockdown the load on it increased and it displayed the following errors:

1. Randomly cause Bsod
2. Randomly freeze
3. Laptop would turn on off repeatedly for milliseconds without the screen turning on until finally it turns on.
4. It wouldn’t detect the HDD
5. Screen won’t light up.

I thought as the laptop was old and hard disk might be at the end of its life, so I replaced the hard drive with a new 1 TB HDD and installed windows 10 instead of 8.1 But the same symptoms were back then I installed win 8.1 and everything was working all right so I added 8gb ram too and it was working flawlessly until now and same symptoms are back.

I am unable to understand even if I consider SATA cable is bad but why won’t the screen light up or those random on or off without the screen turning on until eventually it would boot.

Can it be Bad SATA cable or should I be looking at something else?

Last edited by revvharder : 3rd November 2020 at 08:25.
Old 3rd November 2020, 11:04   #5922
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvharder View Post
Hi, I hope someone can help me with my problem
I have a 2013 Hp Pavilion Laptop which has worked flawlessly till the start of this year but during the lockdown the load on it increased and it displayed the following errors:

1. Randomly cause Bsod
2. Randomly freeze
3. Laptop would turn on off repeatedly for milliseconds without the screen turning on until finally it turns on.
4. It wouldn’t detect the HDD
5. Screen won’t light up.

Can it be Bad SATA cable or should I be looking at something else?
Open it up and check if dust has accumulated. Happens in old laptops a lot. If you see dust, blow it out, and once clean, take out and push back all cables/connectors tightly. That should do the trick, unless there is a majot problem with mother board.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 11:40   #5923
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Grabbed this just now for 52k after card discount, I think it's a good price for a Ryzen 7 4700U. The RAM is sadly not expandable.

Thanks for your inputs on this thread, they were really helpful.
My recently purchased Asus takes a couple of hours for battery charging. Is this normal, considering the charger supplied is supposed to be a 65w fast charger?
Old 9th November 2020, 20:24   #5924
BHPian

Hi, requesting your inputs on the ASUS laptop (ASUS TUF Gaming FX505DT) available on Amazon

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B08CY2M684/..._cevQFbRETP215

Any other brand/models recommended?

My budget is INR 60k, and I can't overshoot it.

I already have a Desktop and I mean to purchase this laptop to cover for the pathetic performance of my work laptop, backed up by an even pathetic IT support. Long story short - my organization's IT department's mantra is to REIMAGE 99 out of 100 incoming laptops with issues.

This will be used 85% for routine office tasks that include Project Management tools, relatively large MS Excel spreadsheets, SQL Express, 10 to 15 Microsoft Edge tabs open any given time and some other system administration tasks involving Powershell and Python.

4k movies recorded via cell phones and digital/action cameras should be handled with ease. I am not into editing and will hardly be able to spend some time on editing movies.

-- Bluetooth 5.0
-- WiFi dual band
-- RJ45
-- Backlit keyboard
-- IPS LCD panel (ok for 60 Hz if cost escalates just because of display)
-- Decent ports
-- Good battery backup OR fast charging

I am open to both - AMD & Intel - provided there is negligible difference in performance for similar models.

Thanks in advance for your help, and pls add any points worth pondering, that I may have missed in my selection criteria.

I plan to conclude my purchase in next 7 days.

Last edited by Safety is Param : 9th November 2020 at 20:26.
Old 10th November 2020, 13:15   #5925
BHPian

Is turbo boost feature added to Intel i3 processor also? AFAIK it was only available on i5. Is this feature added on 10 generation i3? In some laptop ads I have noticed it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks