Team-BHP - The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/67390-laptop-thread-configs-deals-questions-4.html)

i've used several laptops, and am a big fan of IBM's sheer usability, especially the high-end models (T42 is a personal favorite). Toshiba comes next, and Dell and compaq round up the top league.

For you Mansi, i'd suggest following criterian:

1. Light-weight: At 70k, you should look at ultra-portables weighing in 1.200-1.800 kg range), but they must have inbuilt DVD/CDRW drive (never sacrifice internal drive for super-ultra-portability, as I did recently with my new BenQ 6000 and am ruing this :( )

2. 12" screen: People make too much of laptop screen sizes..I think 14" and 15" are totally useless. Most ultraports come with 12" screens, you just need to figure out the screen layout and ensure key sizes are not compromised (an issue with some companies' ultraports)

3. Centrino: Simply stated, it means is that in about a year's time, you could simply take your ultraport out, sit on a cafe chair or an airport lounge sofa or a railway station bench ;-) and get connected to Internet wirelessly! Don't run after GigaHertz speeds of processor, older centrinos are a steal provided they come at a massive discount!

4. Battery backup: The manual should talk of a 4-hour runtime at least...though you get all-day portables today in the higher-ends

5. Brands: In order of my preference: IBM, Toshiba, Dell, Compaq, Samsung/LG, Acer, ACI, Assembled laptop, Korean assembled laptop, home made laptop ;)

Hmm... I think that should be it. Happy Hunting!

ok i have this 1 query my uncle wants to sell his lappie he got from the us just because he does not use it anymore. the config is p4 2.8 ghz, 40gb hdd, combo drive, has a graphic card dunno which brand is dell blue in colour i have used it before for a while. comes with all the normal extras. 512 ram wht say how much should i offer. he wants 35k for it im plannin it for 25k. suggestions please

you should get it for 30k max.

Need a new laptop. Requirements are as follows:

Gordon,

I suggest PM'ing Team-BHPian "R.P.M." He and your brother V12 are co-workers. He will be able to source a laptop from the states for you cos your budget would restrict finding such a config in India.

GTO

Hi Manaa....
Your requirements match with mine.
I have a company provided laptop i use for developing .NET applications. I also keep running SQL Server(most of the time) and Oracle (Some times). Also, I play games like NFS Underground2 on my laptop and the graphics smooth (SO, Photoshop should be a cake walk for my machnine)
Now the config

HP Compaq nx9010, P4 2.4, 512 MB RAM, DVD R - CD-RW, 40 GB HDD, Firewire, 15"monitor.

Now the cons are, the weight. 3.5 KGs. I threw away my leather laptop back and bought a good Samsonite backpack. It's not a sleek machine. The height is 1.9" when closed. It generates too much heat. The max heat is when I am playing NFS UG2.

This machine was bought in US. But the same model was Rs.95,000 in India an year back. So now similar specs must fall within your budget.

We have 3 toshibas in our company which are 1.5 to 3 years old. All three are dead by now.

Note: Check that your system ships with Win XP Professional. You need that for .NET development. XP Home is useless because it does not come with IIS.
Also i suggest having Wi-Fi lan. Wi-Fi hotspots in India may be happening in the near future.

hey guys i am into computers i have an IBM T42
Centrino 1.7 2mb L2Cache (Dothan its the newer centrino)
40GB HDD
1GB Ram
14.1" TFT LCD
WIFI, BLuetooth enabled
CDWRITER-DVD combo
its just 1" thick and weighs like 2.2 kgs
and all the other standard accessories
model number is IBM T42-2373 FWG and i have put another 512MB Ram the default comes with 512MB so total 1GB
ive bought it in november it came with 3yrs international warranty.i am thinking of selling it as i will be buying a tablet pc this time round when i make a trip to dubai ... pm or just post here and the laptop sells here for atleast 1,20,00rs in india

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenh0rn
you should get it for 30k max.

i was thinking to offer 20k max

20k is a steal, jesal. Good luck :)

Hey guys,

Since many of the members have been looking for laptops I have started this thread. I will keep updating this thread when any new deals are available. These are the best deals that are available as of now.

GTO can vouch for the quality and pricing of all these laptops.

COMPAQ 2100 series

AMD athlon 2800xp moblie
512 MB DD RAM
60 GB HDD
DVD CDRW (COMBO)
15" XGA TFT SCREEN
WI-FI (WIRELESS LAN)
ALL STANDARD PORTS.

Price--- Rs 48,000

TOSHIBA A 75 series

PENTIUM 4 3.2ghz MOBLIE
512 MB DD RAM
60 GB HDD
DVD WRITER
WI-FI
BLUETOOTH
15.4 WXGA SCREEN (WIDESCREEN)
ALL STANDARD PORTS.

Price--- Rs 76,000

HP ZT 3000 SERIES

INTEL CENTRINO 1.7 ghz
1024 MB DD RAM
80 GB HDD
DVD CDRW (COMBO)
WI-FI
BLUETOOTH
ALL STANDARD PORTS

Price--- Rs 83,000

HP ZX 5000 SERIES

PENTIUM 4 3.06 ghz
1024 MB DD RAM
80 GB HDD
DVD CDRW (COMBO)
15.4 WXGA XBRITE SCREEN (WIDESCREEN)
WI-FI
BLUETOOTH
128 MB DEDICATED GRAPHICS CARD
ALL STANDARD PORTS

Price--- Rs 84,000

HP ZX 5000 SERIES

PENTIUM 4 3.06 ghz
512 MB DD RAM
60 GB HDD
DVD WRITER
WI-FI
BLUETOOTH
ALL STANDARD PORTS

Price--- Rs 71,000

PM me if you want any more details or have any specific configs in mind.

Peace out.

any 64 bit laptops which compaq and hp, acer have launched and prefrerably with linux installed as it would reduce the price considerably ...

Hey R.P.M.,

thanks for the price list, just a few questions:

Hey Gordon,

All of the laptops are brand new.

All of them have a one year international warranty ( manufacturer)

All of them are imported from the US so i dont think you will find it on the indian website.

Most of the laptops in the US are built to order. The series will remain the same but the configs will differ as per the buyers requirements.

And dont forget to add tax,shipping and customs duties to the listed price of all the laptops in the US.

The ZX 5000 ( 512 MB ) has a 64 MB dedicated graphics card and the rest of the laptops have 64 MB shared graphics cards.

i thought the govt had relaxed the customs on laptops to promote their use
wht shipping charges do you add
can i configure any laptop online an pay you for it in mumbai after adding the shipping and your margin?
got any tablets?

Hey Khanak,

A friend of mine imports these laptops. Im just posting on his behalf.

As far as i know the customs duty is about 18% and it is calculated on the value of the laptop when sold in India. And the shipping from the US to india is close to 100 usd.

I will call him first thing tommorow and ask him if he has any tablets in stock. I think he has got a few panasonic toughbooks.

Peace out.