Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2020, 21:44   #5986
BHPian

Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
Team I am looking for a laptop for my son for attending online primary school classes.Main requirements are
Core i3 ...
After considering your requirements I suggest you the following laptops: Dell Vostro 15 3501 and HP 14s core i3

Dell Vostro 15 3501(₹38989) has all features you mentioned except sim card slot which I think could be resolved by buying a Jio or Airtel wifi router or by using hotspot from phone.
https://www.dell.com/en-in/work/shop...d583011win8sbo

HP 14s core i3 (₹39990) has all features from your list including sim slot but misses SSD which could be added later. But I believe SSD is not a must for your requirement.
https://www.flipkart.com/hp-14s-core...=1607875327965
Old 14th December 2020, 00:34   #5987
BHPian

Quote:
Team I am looking for a laptop for my son for attending online primary school classes.Main requirements are
Core i3
Webcam
Ssd
SIM card slot
Type c port
Hdmi port
Min 4 gm ram and expandable
14 inch screen
Any pointers within a budget of 40k
That's an interesting list. Because I don't think this laptop actually exists, could you make a case for why you think these are needed? It is entirely possible that a tablet might be a better fit for the job at hand.

Considering the age of the intended user, what should have been on the list of requirements are things like durability instead of a spec. sheet, for which a Thinkpad would be the default choice.
Amien is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 07:49   #5988
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR96 View Post
Dell Vostro 15 3501(₹38989) has all features you mentioned except sim card slot which I think could be resolved by buying a Jio or Airtel wifi router or by using hotspot from phone.
[
I accidentally mentioned the 15 inch model. The 14 inch one with similar specifications is Dell Vostro 14 3401(₹39500).
https://www.dell.com/en-in/work/shop...-d552127win9de
Prices mentioned in the quotes are the prices shown at time of qouting and is quoted for reference. The same models could be available at other sites at cheaper costs, don't forget to check them before buying.

Like Amien commented, your requirements could be solved by a tablet and today a tablet could do most things which we intend to do using a laptop. If you are considering only laptops then you could go with anyone of the models I suggested. I would go with Dell and WiFi router as it is more economical.
RR96 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 09:27   #5989
BHPian

Thanks for the suggestions. Currently we give the laptop ,internet from our phone. Hence require a dedicated sim slot so that no phones are engaged. Tablets are not considered because he requires a dedicated keypad.
Old 14th December 2020, 10:41   #5990
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. Currently we give the laptop ,internet from our phone. Hence require a dedicated sim slot so that no phones are engaged. Tablets are not considered because he requires a dedicated keypad.
I have two suggestions:

1. Mi Notebook

2. Asus Vivo Book

As for the minor issue of a 4G SIM slot, do look at solving it with the help of a Dongle.
Old 14th December 2020, 12:07   #5991
BHPian

Even I was interested in the Mi ,but it does not have a built in webcam
Also wanted to know how is performance of Ryzen processors? The dealer said it is equivalent to 10th Gen i3.
Will it be able to handle occasional basic autocad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
I have two suggestions:

1. Mi Notebook

2. Asus Vivo Book

As for the minor issue of a 4G SIM slot, do look at solving it with the help of a Dongle.

Last edited by inder : 14th December 2020 at 12:34.
inder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 17:10   #5992
BHPian

Quote:
Even I was interested in the Mi ,but it does not have a built in webcam
Also wanted to know how is performance of Ryzen processors? The dealer said it is equivalent to 10th Gen i3.
Will it be able to handle occasional basic autocad.
Older Ryzen 3500 parts are about equal to 8-10th gen. i5/7s while the new 7nm Ryzen 4000 processors handily outperform their current Intel price equivalents. R5s are on average superior to i7s, with the R7s having virually no competition. They are also more efficient. Lower-end Ryzens have been in short supply, with only a few designs choosing to use the R3s(Which are quad cores and superior to i3s). The dealer has no clue.

Ryzen 4000 variants of the Thinkpad have just launched; an incredible deal for the latest 6-core CPU. They're not likely to remain in stock for long, nor at the same price. Integrated Radeon graphics are very competent, should handle basic CAD work without issue.
Amien is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 22:43   #5993
BHPian

Hello bhpians! I need your help in selecting a laptop. I already have a Lenovo Ideapad Gaming 3i laptop. But my elder sister's laptop has been giving her a lot of trouble of late and because of her horrific experience with Dell she wants me to buy a new laptop and pass on my 4 months old, but tried and tested laptop to her.

Below are the needed specifications:
1. Ryzen 4000 series or intel 10750H processor- already have the 6 core 10750H so do not want to downgrade
2. 16GB ram- the 8GB ram in my current laptop gets 90% full very easily.
3. 15.6 inch display- do not need much portability. I have used a 14 inch laptop before and the screen does look small.
4. Dedicated graphics- needed for some simulations and gaming
5. Reliability and durability- My current laptop has a very sturdy and built to last feel and we have had two Dell laptops that gave us a lot of trouble. So this is very important.
6. A strict budget of 90k- Already convinced my father to raise the budget from 70k to 90k, cannot go above this.

Not necessary but good to have features:
1. 300 nits display- 250nits make it impossible to use the laptop in bright sun
2. >45Whr battery- current laptop lacks a bit in the battery department
3. No Windows, DOS OS- going to install linux anyway, so would like to get the cost benefits of non windows laptop

The laptops that I have found that match my requirements and the reasons I have not finalized them: (best match first)

1. Dell
G5 15 se: Very lucratively spec-ed at this price point. But I am concerned about the reliability. Has anyone bought the G series from Dell? Do they fare off better than Dell's Inspiron series in reliability?

2. Dell
G3 core i7 (16GB): Another laptop from dell with great specs at the price point. But the same concern as above about reliability.

3. MSI bravo 15: Untested waters of MSI. I have not heard good about MSI's thermals and reliability.

Laptop which does not meet requirements but considered-
Lenovo Legion 5: The only thing it lacks is a 16GB ram. On the website many not presently available specs have been mentioned that will be launched in the future, but I need the laptop by end of this month.

Please help me with feedback on my choices or recommend any other laptop that meets my requirements but I have failed to notice.

My last and least preferred resort to fulfill my requirements will be to buy a laptop with 8GB ram and 4800H processor with other good specs, and then upgrade the ram if it gives me too much trouble. Will it void my warranty?

Last edited by YD14 : 14th December 2020 at 22:46. Reason: Small typo
Old 14th December 2020, 23:48   #5994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YD14 View Post
Below are the needed specifications:
1. Ryzen 4000 series or intel 10750H processor- already have the 6 core 10750H so do not want to downgrade
2. 16GB ram- the 8GB ram in my current laptop gets 90% full very easily.
3. 15.6 inch display- do not need much portability. I have used a 14 inch laptop before and the screen does look small.
4. Dedicated graphics- needed for some simulations and gaming ....
From your required specifications found the following laptops other than the one you specified. I believe HP, Asus and Acer also produce reliable products. Prices mentioned are the prices which were shown at the time of qouting and also don't forget to check other websites before buying.

Asus ROG Strix G15 (₹88,990)
Intel i7 10750H processor, 16gb ram expandable upto 32gb, 512 GB SSD, Geforce 1650 Ti graphics etc.

Warranty won't get void if you are upgrading your ram and if you consider that point too then you could buy

HP OMEN Ryzen 5 4600h (₹75,990)
Ryzen 5 4600h hexa core processor, 8gb ram expandable upto 16gb, 512 GB SSD, Geforce 1650 Ti graphics etc. One with 6 GB 1660 Ti is also available at ₹85,990. 4600H processor is inferior compared to 4800H but this model is also available with i7 at a higher price.

Acer Nitro 5 Ryzen 7 4800H (₹82590)
Ryzen 7 4800H hexa core processor, 8gb ram expandable upto 32gb, 1TB HDD, 256 GB SSD, Geforce 1650 Ti graphics etc.

Last edited by RR96 : 15th December 2020 at 00:16. Reason: Added one more link
RR96 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 00:34   #5995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YD14 View Post
My last and least preferred resort to fulfill my requirements will be to buy a laptop with 8GB ram and 4800H processor with other good specs, and then upgrade the ram if it gives me too much trouble. Will it void my warranty?
Anything that is meant to be user-replacable will have no consequence on warranty. So don't worry about installiing more RAM. It is generally good practice to return the laptop to stock configuration if/when you need to use to warranty.

As for the recommendation, this MSI GL65 Leopard offers the most value within your budget. There is virtually no difference between 9th and 10th gen. Intel parts and the 1660Ti is a significant step-up from the 1650.
Amien is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 01:10   #5996
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amien View Post
Ryzen 4000 variants of the Thinkpad have just launched; an incredible deal for the latest 6-core CPU. They're not likely to remain in stock for long, nor at the same price.
Would you recommend this for normal usage like office work, emails, video streaming?
Old 15th December 2020, 09:27   #5997
BHPian

A question for thinkpad users- is it worth getting a refurbished X250 for around 15k INR? I am getting a deal locally. Laptop is in good condition and fully original. I will have to spend around 5 k more for upgrading the ram and replacing the HDD with a 128GB SSD. But have you ever experienced anything terrible with these refurbished laptops? Is it better to buy a new basic thinkpad for around 60k or can I make do with this? I have a Zenbook UX303L now and it is running well but I always feel safer with a spare laptop. I have a very old Latitude with the 2nd gen i5 processor but the keyboard is not working properly and it is very heavy.

Usage will be normal word/ppt/excel and maybe a few other softwares like Minitab or Tableau.

Last edited by Cessna182 : 15th December 2020 at 09:31.
Old 15th December 2020, 12:09   #5998
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by metropolis View Post
Would you recommend this for normal usage like office work, emails, video streaming?
Absolutely. The surplus power will come in handy when needed and will only add to its longevity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna182 View Post
A question for thinkpad users- is it worth getting a refurbished X250 for around 15k INR?
Thinkpads are some of the most popular refurbs. Amazon Renewed in India isn't as good as the US but you can still test your purchase thoroughly during the return window and get a refund if need be, so initial risk is low and chances are you end up with a great deal.

On the flip side, you have a shorter warranty and support likely limited to 3rd parties. Ultimately, this is a decision only you can make.

EDIT: missed the part where you mentioned it was a local deal. If you've weight the pros and cons then 15k is a good deal. Many of those laptops were overbuilt so its good for everyone if they live out their operating life instead of collecting dust somewhere.

Last edited by Amien : 15th December 2020 at 12:17. Reason: added text
Old 18th December 2020, 09:08   #5999
BHPian

Re: Problem with HP laptop - have I gotten a lemon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
I've thought this through and couldn't arrive at a solution. I request you all to read through, patiently, and give me a solution for my issue. Apologies in advance if this turns out to be confusing, because I am confused myself.

I'd like to know something here. In the original post above I also mentioned battery drain when device was shut down, to the extent of 10 percent gone in 24h without usage.

I raised the issue with HP, since they never addressed it previously. And they actually tell me that it is supposed to happen. They said that Windows 10 keeps running in the background after system is shut down, and hence consumes that much battery. And that a reduction of 10 to 15 percent in 24h, when shut down, is normal.

Is what they're saying correct? This is the first I'm hearing of something like that. Point to note : battery is only 5 months old, though the PC is much older. And this level of battery reduction has been there since the battery replacement, and before too.
Old 19th December 2020, 22:29   #6000
BHPian

Re: Problem with HP laptop - have I gotten a lemon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
They said that Windows 10 keeps running in the background after system is shut down
This is obviously not true. The quality of the battery determines how much charge it can retain and for how long. Since this is not standardized, its hard to tell if its within spec. or not. Losing 10% overnight suggests poor quality cells but it might not be out of spec.

Most Viewed