Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2007, 10:30   #706
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
3 of my friends have probelem with various modls of dell laps,nothinh much, overheats and shutdown as fan get clogged easily.

lenovo is the best ( was IBM) and then HP or toshiba. Check out lenovo Y series.
IBM was good not best, but Lenovo is bad. Hp is following lenovo but Toshiba is also one of the best brand.
Old 1st June 2007, 10:45   #707
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
3 of my friends have probelem with various modls of dell laps,nothinh much, overheats and shutdown as fan get clogged easily.
This was a problem with the Inspiron 5100/5150 series as they were based on desktop processors & so got overheated quickly in our conditions. I should know, I own one!! But current models are very good & have no reported issues.
Old 1st June 2007, 10:58   #708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
This was a problem with the Inspiron 5100/5150 series as they were based on desktop processors & so got overheated quickly in our conditions. I should know, I own one!! But current models are very good & have no reported issues.

Hi Ishan!

I used to have Dell D600 Latitude laptop & it used to get heated up big time & often shut down due to heating/fan getting clogged..my other colleagues also used to complain of the same problems..Dunno if the latest models are better or have rectififed the heating/shutting down issues. Since it was an office laptop I could return it & since then the IT started getting IBM Lenovo machines & IMO there are v.good . I am currently using IBM Thinkpad T60 machine & its performance is very good, remains cool even after heavy usage & machine feels rock solid..Infact,I am thinking of buying a latest Thinkpad with dual core processor for home use..
Old 1st June 2007, 11:18   #709
Senior - BHPian

ash the t-series is the high end series of the lenovo or IBM group there starting range is about 75k+ with lots of good features also...like magnesium case and they are light weight also...
Old 1st June 2007, 11:40   #710
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
ash the t-series is the high end series of the lenovo or IBM group there starting range is about 75k+ with lots of good features also...like magnesium case and they are light weight also...
Hi bro lbm : I think my laptop is under Rs.60 K not 75K+..Yeah its light weight but magnesium case?? I do not know about that! But isn't it good?
Old 1st June 2007, 11:53   #711
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshOnTheRocks View Post
Hi bro lbm : I think my laptop is under Rs.60 K not 75K+..Yeah its light weight but magnesium case?? I do not know about that! But isn't it good?
Ya for 60 k it is nice....but recently my friend was inquiring for the laptop he was quoted the same
Old 4th June 2007, 21:46   #712
Senior - BHPian

Lancard problem in ma laptop.

Hi,

From past 1 month my lan card is giving me weird problem. I plug in the cable in the lan and it gets connected but net doesn't work (unable to surf net or ping local network) and i have to replug it several times to get it working. Sometimes it keeps on showing the "Acquiring Network Connection" but i am able to ping and surf net and full speed.

And now it has gone verse i waste my 5 - 10 mins daily to get the net working on my laptop..

help
Old 4th June 2007, 21:56   #713
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Hi,

From past 1 month my lan card is giving me weird problem. I plug in the cable in the lan and it gets connected but net doesn't work (unable to surf net or ping local network) and i have to replug it several times to get it working. Sometimes it keeps on showing the "Acquiring Network Connection" but i am able to ping and surf net and full speed.

And now it has gone verse i waste my 5 - 10 mins daily to get the net working on my laptop..

help
Check your modem if the lan/wifi signals are stable or they are flickering.
I had similar problem sorted out all the tangled wires n all started working well.Till now no problem.
Old 4th June 2007, 23:15   #714
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Check your modem if the lan/wifi signals are stable or they are flickering.
I had similar problem sorted out all the tangled wires n all started working well.Till now no problem.

Modem and Lan are all good. Maybe there is problem with the wires. I willget a new lan wire i have like 10 mtrs wire currently..

Thanks i will let you know.
Old 13th June 2007, 19:34   #715
BHPian

I am in a really big fix right now. Am planning to buy a laptop for my higher studies.

Budget: 40-41k is verry comfortable. Can stretch it to 46-47k if I get some real good config.

Basic congif needed:
Want it to be a dual core (Core Duo or Core 2 Duo). Have no idea about AMDs used in laptops. (Have heard they are good in desktops though)(But aint that keen on them. Intel is preferred.)

1GB RAM.
No need of graphics card.
Need Bluetooth.
Good wifi connectivity.
And a decent battery life (2.5 hrs or more).
80GB Hard drive (which almost all would provide, so no issue here)
Not really keen on getting a shipped along OS. (Have solutions)

Models considered:

Acer Aspire 5573:
Intel Pentium Dual Core 2080 @ 1.73GHz,
1 GB RAM,
14.1" WXGA,
6 cell battery.
(Abt Rs 38-39k with Linux)

Acer Aspire 5583:
Intel Core 2 Duo T5500 @ 1.66GHz,
1GB RAM,
14.1" WXGA,
6 cell battery.
(Abt Rs 44-45k with Linux)

Dell Inspiron 6400:
Intel Core 2 Duo T5300 @ 1.73 GHz
1GB Ram,
15.4" WXGA,
9 cell battery.
(Rs 47,000)

HP Pavilion DV2214TU:
Intel Core Duo T2060 @ 1.6GHz,
1GB Ram,
14.1" WXGA,
6 Cell battery
(Abt Rs 49-50k, with Vista Premium)

Compaq Presario V6316TU:
Intel Core Duo T2080 @ 1.73GHz,
1 GB Ram,
6 Cell battery
(Abt 43k with DOS)

Issues:
Acer has a very insignificant market share in India, so am getting practically no feed back on them. How do they fare, what is their customer care support like etc.
Am very much interested in Acer because of the prices which are good 4-5k less than Dell or HP/Compaq.

Dell is costing me 47k WHICH is not good... But then the 9 cell is very tempting.
Secondly, Dell is saying it would take 4 weeks to deliver, so........

HP/Compaq are way overpriced.

Questions:
How is Acer? Their service etc?

Whats the difference between "Pentium Dual Core" and "Core Duo"?
Why are HPs and Compaqs so expensive?

As I am on shoestring budget, AMD also looks good. But I dont need any kind of problem, because, I am on a shoe string budget.... Peace of mind is important as well.

Any Lappy that I am missing?

PLEASE HELP ME OUT!!!!!!!!!
Old 14th June 2007, 01:19   #716
BHPian

Guys which is the best data card for internet connectivity for a laptop?

One which can be used all across india and maybe outside too!
Old 14th June 2007, 10:54   #717
Senior - BHPian

major are Reliance and Tata indicom......choose which one you like as people will have mixed answer some will prefer Reliance and some will Tata
Old 14th June 2007, 11:27   #718
BHPian

Hey nobody willing to help me out from my conundrum... Plz check post no 698..

@Compenn
Most people I know of, use Reliance. But as LBM has mentioned, its a tussle between Tata and Reliance..

Last edited by ess_a : 14th June 2007 at 11:31.
Old 14th June 2007, 11:38   #719
Senior - BHPian

from the above lot dell is the best product....it will be a bit heavy as it is a 15 inch but you will be happy with the product.
Old 14th June 2007, 11:52   #720
BHPian

I agree LBM, that Dell is the best among the above lot, but two factors are deterring me. Firstly, Acer is muuuch cheaper while Dell I can only get by stretching my budget a lot more.
Secondly, it seems Dell India is phasing out its 6400 model so they are talking abt 4 to even 8 weeks of shipping time. Now i can max wait for 10 days.

So any idea about the Acers?

Most Viewed