Team-BHP - The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/67390-laptop-thread-configs-deals-questions-51.html)

I think Acer's after sales support is suspect.

Well, the company laptop is Compaq and its utter rubbish. Also for any work needed, they need the laptop for a minimum of 5 days. So I don't bother with it. So sales support is not really a priority i guess.

My personal Samsung has been working flawlessly for almost 4 years, while my compaq is literally falling apart within 1 year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amitoj (Post 531135)
Ash, is 1GB RAM enough for Vista? I read somewhere that 2 GB is required for Vista to run "comfortably".

amitoj,

I haven't encountered any performance issues with 1 GB RAM so far..though I must also say that haven't used the laptop I have recently bought for home use, for multimedia/gaming purpose so far..Even I would like to know a definitive word on whether a minimum of 2GB RAM is required to run Vista comfortably..IT Gurus??

Hi,I'm getting this one Sony vaio for 66k is it worth buying ? What's the procedure of buying a dell ? do we've make payments via credit card & how much time it will take to deliver ?

2GB is a bare minimum for windows Vista to run. The Aero UI is the memory killer. But dont buy it from the company. The extra ram is usually cheap in the aftermarket. If possible I buy the notebook pc with cheapest memory and then upgrade it aftermarket.

I got my compaq R4000 with 1 gig Ram. The cost to me then was around $165 (It's a customized to Order unit). After realizing my fault,I got my friend a 1 gig notebook memory for $99 for his acer(previously sempron with 256mb ram).

@Unknown: If its for desktop replacement purposes, go ahead. Otherwise for mobilitiy I would suggest you a 14" or smaller. 2.7Kg with the power charger would make it 3kg or more.

Quote:

Originally Posted by unknown (Post 533186)
Hi,I'm getting this one Sony vaio for 66k is it worth buying ? What's the procedure of buying a dell ? do we've make payments via credit card & how much time it will take to deliver ?

If you dont mind paying a li'l extra for the brand, then its a good enough spec, otherwise i think you will get better specs in other brands like acer, hp, lenovo etc at a lower price.
For Dell, you have to customise your order on the web and then leave your phone number or email id and someone from Dell India's sales team will get in touch with you. They say it takes 4 to 7 weeks for delivery but depending on your config, the sales guy will be able to give you a more "accurate estimate".

Amitoj, I'd suggest U to stay away from Vista.
Get XP and be happy with the better performance with the 1GB.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitrous (Post 533312)
Amitoj, I'd suggest U to stay away from Vista.
Get XP and be happy with the better performance with the 1GB.

Too late for that now, Nitrous. So far Vista has been ok for me. Only pain point so far is yahoo voice chat does not work. But thats because the software engineers at Yahoo have been sleeping for the past two years,thats when they got the beta version of vista.

Just got my Vostro 1400 delivered in the UK , mean all black machine , and vista is doing fine .

@amit : I would try Skype .

Quote:

Originally Posted by amitoj (Post 533306)
If you dont mind paying a li'l extra for the brand, then its a good enough spec, otherwise i think you will get better specs in other brands like acer, hp, lenovo etc at a lower price.
For Dell, you have to customise your order on the web and then leave your phone number or email id and someone from Dell India's sales team will get in touch with you. They say it takes 4 to 7 weeks for delivery but depending on your config, the sales guy will be able to give you a more "accurate estimate".

Thanks for the info, i'll see some acer,hp laptop tomorrow then make the final decision .

Hi All,
I am planning to buy a Apple MacBook 2.16GHz 1GB RAM 80GB HDD. Its available for $1299 at Apple stores in US.

Buying Apple was a big decision for me as I did everything on Windows till now. But now I am fed up with windows so want to try Mac.

If there are any MacBook owners on the forum can I get some real feedback from them? Is it worth taking the risk of going to a completely new brand and OS?

Thanks in advance.

Hi vabs78,

Macbooks are an excellent product. mac OS is new to you but wont take much to get accustomed to it.

there may be compatibilty and software prolems on a large scale, but that's about it. plus there is an offer where you get an ipod for free(do check out on details)

If you are going to use it in US, give it a shot, their service and support are very much active.

@ vabs78, If getting a brand new Macbook, you should be able to install Xp or Vista on it, theoritically cos Macs use Core 2 Duo CPUs now :)

Thanks for the replies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by devarshi84 (Post 533545)
If you are going to use it in US, give it a shot, their service and support are very much active.

I am going to bring it back to India. Will use is US only for couple of months.

I searched on the net and found a lot of problems on MacBook. I don't know if its because of high expctations or are real issues. I will really appriciate if I can get first had feedback from someone.

Quote:

If getting a brand new Macbook, you should be able to install Xp or Vista on it, theoritically cos Macs use Core 2 Duo CPUs now
I am planning to do just that but not Vista. I will install XP SP2.

vabs78
You can install Xp on mac via Bootcamp & it works flawlessly ,why not get the macbook pro ?