Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2007, 14:02   #766
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
vabs78
You can install Xp on mac via Bootcamp & it works flawlessly ,why not get the macbook pro ?
forget warranty and support from apple or microsoft or anyone if you get it wrong.
Old 16th August 2007, 17:35   #767
BHPian

Quote:
vabs78
You can install Xp on mac via Bootcamp & it works flawlessly
I have heard that iSight doesn't work in XP. I am not sure if this is fixed in Bootcamp updates.

Quote:
why not get the macbook pro ?
Macbook Pro is not VFM at all. If you compare the configurations of Pro
and 2.16GHz Macbook there is not much difference except the graphics card. But there is a diff of $700 in price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
forget warranty and support from apple or microsoft or anyone if you get it wrong.
Yah thats true. But I cant resist messing up my PCs for any reason.
Old 21st August 2007, 00:51   #768
Senior - BHPian

hey i just check my laptop battery today and it wont go beyond 70% charging.

Is it some bug or something happened to battery
Old 21st August 2007, 10:05   #769
Senior - BHPian

you need to recalibrate your battery. Google and you will find more info on this.
Old 4th September 2007, 19:42   #770
Senior - BHPian

Charging Battery ?

Some people have suggested me that i should not always plug in the laptop charger and use my laptop on AC power. It can overcharge and damage battery and stuff etc. Is it true ??

Also good steps to charge laptop battery and taking care of battery ?
Old 5th September 2007, 00:35   #771
Senior - BHPian

that's the biggest baseless info I have heard. my laptop is close to 3 years old now. Battery wear is 30%. I keept it on ac power 80% of the times.

batteries today dont need much care but here are somethings you can do to keep it in good shape.

1. recondition your battery every 3-4 months.
2. Only recharge them when its fully empty. Whenever you recharge them, recharge them fully. THe computer reads from the battery too and such a process will help the pc read the information properly.
3. Notebook pc's usually tend to get hot. You will know when fans start rolling. Heat is bad for the battery, to help this please see that the air vents are fully open and not blocked by any objects and also that the base is elevated on the stands.

to get more batterylife on a single charge,

1. Underclock the cpu
2. Undervolt the cpu (only recommended if you are a pro)
3. Underclock a dedicated gpu (if your notebook has one
4. Lower the brightness.
5. Close programs at startup and those which consume cpu usage.
Old 10th September 2007, 14:34   #772
BHPian

Laptop memory upgrade

Hi,

Need some info on the Laptop memory upgrade front. My present laptop has a single 512MB (533MHz) module. Is it ok if I upgrade (add) another module of 1GB (667MHz) OR should I add another module of 512MB (533MHz)?

Though the manufacturer tech support said that thelaptop's recommended 1GB module is the 333MHz one, but the reseller said it's no problem if I add the 1GB@667MHz module.

Please shed some light.
Old 10th September 2007, 14:53   #773
BHPian

HP dv5118TX acting crazy at windows installation

I have a HP dv5118TX laptop, bought abt an year back. I was trying to re-install Windows XP today, just to ensure a clean system. This is where the problem starts.

After loading up the setup files, it shows 3 options : Press 'R' to repair the previous installation, Press 'F8' to install new copy or Press 'Esc' to exit setup. At this, if I choose any of the first 2 options, it is giving me error stating that no hard-disks are connected, and system must reboot. On the other hand, if I run the previous Windows XP installation, it runs absolutely fine. I am just not able to understand whats wrong.

My lappy did not come with any cds. There hasn't been any problems with it so far. But now this.
Can somebody please help me out ?

Last edited by hkanitkar : 10th September 2007 at 14:57.
Old 10th September 2007, 17:45   #774
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noviceDriver View Post
Hi,

Need some info on the Laptop memory upgrade front. My present laptop has a single 512MB (533MHz) module. Is it ok if I upgrade (add) another module of 1GB (667MHz) OR should I add another module of 512MB (533MHz)?

Though the manufacturer tech support said that thelaptop's recommended 1GB module is the 333MHz one, but the reseller said it's no problem if I add the 1GB@667MHz module.

Please shed some light.
if one of your sticks is 512mb 533mhz and running well, I would advice you to go for the same stick.
Re-seller is taking you for a ride. 667mhz stick is usually expensive but wont work above 333mhz if the tech support says so. In that case even your 533 mhz stick is running at 333mhz.
Old 11th September 2007, 00:28   #775
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
that's the biggest baseless info I have heard. my laptop is close to 3 years old now. Battery wear is 30%. I keept it on ac power 80% of the times.

batteries today dont need much care but here are somethings you can do to keep it in good shape.

1. recondition your battery every 3-4 months.
2. Only recharge them when its fully empty. Whenever you recharge them, recharge them fully. THe computer reads from the battery too and such a process will help the pc read the information properly.
3. Notebook pc's usually tend to get hot. You will know when fans start rolling. Heat is bad for the battery, to help this please see that the air vents are fully open and not blocked by any objects and also that the base is elevated on the stands.

to get more batterylife on a single charge,

1. Underclock the cpu
2. Undervolt the cpu (only recommended if you are a pro)
3. Underclock a dedicated gpu (if your notebook has one
4. Lower the brightness.
5. Close programs at startup and those which consume cpu usage.
Bro you are wrong here what you are talking about is Ni-Cd batteries. Today's Lithium Ion batteries damage early if you recharge them only when they are about to die. So you should charge them whenever possible for prolonged life.
Old 11th September 2007, 01:08   #776
Senior - BHPian

todays batteries under normal usages last anywhere around 500 charges.

If you recharge from half-way the battery will forget that it can also run below that charge. That's where recalibration or conditioning comes in. the concept itself means emptying the battery and charging it to full. most proffessionals recommend it atleast every 3-4 months. but you are saying otherwise.

you may want to check your facts.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 11th September 2007 at 01:10.
Old 11th September 2007, 11:01   #777
BHPian

Quote:
if one of your sticks is 512mb 533mhz and running well, I would advice you to go for the same stick.
Re-seller is taking you for a ride. 667mhz stick is usually expensive but wont work above 333mhz if the tech support says so. In that case even your 533 mhz stick is running at 333mhz.
Thanks Devarshi. In case I get hold of a 1GB@533MHz, will it work fine along with the existing module?
Old 11th September 2007, 16:16   #778
Senior - BHPian

it should. Make sure that your chipset supports Dual channel memory. In that case a similar memory chips will give a marginal boost to your pc's performance.
Old 12th September 2007, 17:49   #779
BHPian

Quote:
todays batteries under normal usages last anywhere around 500 charges.

If you recharge from half-way the battery will forget that it can also run below that charge. That's where recalibration or conditioning comes in. the concept itself means emptying the battery and charging it to full. most proffessionals recommend it atleast every 3-4 months. but you are saying otherwise.

you may want to check your facts.
No brother am dead sure about this info. Check out Wikipedia, scroll down to see Guidelines for prolonged life of Li Ion baterries.
Lithium-ion battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 12th September 2007, 20:15   #780
Senior - BHPian

I got this from the link you mentioned.

"A unique drawback of the Li-ion battery is that its life span is dependent upon aging from time of manufacturing (shelf life) regardless of whether it was charged, and not just on the number of charge/discharge cycles. So an older battery will not last as long as a new battery due solely to its age, unlike other batteries"

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks